Receiving BBCi services on a PC

ajohansen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 m dish

Technisat skystar 2
My Location
London
Is it possible to receive BBCi services through my PC?

I'm using a Skystar2 card (and ProgDVB viewer).

Seem to be able to get virtually every channel known to man, apart from these ones!

Thanks.

Satellite-tv-fan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Quad core 4GB Ram Vista 64bit 24" 245B Samsung widescreen TFT. Nvidia Zotac 8800GT AMP! Edition 512MB graphics card + Skystar 2 sat tv card with DVB Viewer Pro 3.9
Intel mac mini dual core
with eyetv 3.0.1 running Cinergy S USB satellite box
1m Fu
My Location
East Sussex
Nope because the s/w neded for these and other services is built in to the Sky box

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes :D

My Technomate shows them as normal channels. There is nothing special about them , or special software needed - its just that they are flagged as data channels so check your data channels list

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Doesn't the Digibox use OpenTV as the so-called middleware? If so, Freesat will have to use the same on its receivers so that the EPG, teletext and other 'red button' services still work. That means most general purpose satellite receivers will do no more than receive audio and video services.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
easysat said:
Doesn't the Digibox use OpenTV as the so-called middleware? If so, Freesat will have to use the same on its receivers so that the EPG, teletext and other 'red button' services still work.
I don't know for sure about $ly but even if they do part of the Freesat package is full interactivity (through the LAN port across the Internet) so they will have to program it in some way even if it's their own software.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
easysat said:
Doesn't the Digibox use OpenTV as the so-called middleware? If so, Freesat will have to use the same on its receivers so that the EPG, teletext and other 'red button' services still work. That means most general purpose satellite receivers will do no more than receive audio and video services.

I assure you BBCi services work fine on any fta boxes that ignore the data flag. They can be made to work on dreamboxes as well - you just have to alter the flag from data to tv using dreambox edit.

To prove a point Ive just done it on my DB :D

Attachments

• stream3.jpg
    stream3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 41

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
I assure you BBCi services work fine on any fta boxes that ignore the data flag. They can be made to work on dreamboxes as well - you just have to alter the flag from data to tv using dreambox edit.

To prove a point Ive just done it on my DB :D
I agree as far as the video in the interactive services is concerned. But how can you get the EPG for the next few days and text services without a Digibox? I guess it will be the same with Freesat boxes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
EPG stuff is indeed proprietary on both Sky & the new Freesat. The now & next should work on any box though. Dunno about digital text - its so slow to load I never bother with it.

ajohansen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 m dish

Technisat skystar 2
My Location
London
Thanks for all the replies.

I worked out how to get these channels. (12441V 27500 2/3) on 28 East.

Cheers.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
easysat said:
Doesn't the Digibox use OpenTV as the so-called middleware? If so, Freesat will have to use the same on its receivers so that the EPG, teletext and other 'red button' services still work.

In fact Freesat is using MHEG-5, so the interactive services require different information to be sent to the receiver depending if it is a Sky Digibox or a Freesat box as this article explains:
h**p://www.planetbods.org/blog/2007/12/04/buildingbbci.live