Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
Ok, I need more help PLEASE!!!

I have fitted the satellite, connected the LNB and receiver, but I am unable to get a signal. In fact, the lack of signal strength doesn't seem to change even when I detach the cable from the receiver.

1) How accurate does the dish have to be?

2) Is there anyone willing to physically help me in setting this thing up (I will pay!)

I have an Octagon SF118.

I'M DESPERATE!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The dish has to be accurate within a degree or so in both aziumuth and elevation.

Could you post up a picture of how you have it set up right now. There might be something obvious wrong.

Also tell us the receiver settings, and how you are going about trying to find a signal.

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
Robbo71 said:
The dish has to be accurate within a degree or so in both aziumuth and elevation.

Could you post up a picture of how you have it set up right now. There might be something obvious wrong.

Also tell us the receiver settings, and how you are going about trying to find a signal.

This is how it's setup, I didn't think to take an actual photo whilst I was there this weekend (see attachment)

What receiver settings do you need?
I was trying to line it up using the information from _www.dishpointer.com and then moving it up, down, left and right to see if the signal strength would move. I got nothing.

MR SOUTHERN SATELLITE --> Does the LNB you sold me require power?

I tried all the available settings on the SF118 installation screen (on and off) with no joy.

I really want this thing for my mother, and I am willing to pay for a home visit.

Attachments

• mums.jpg
    mums.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 29

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The setting which most first timers get wrong is the elevation setting, they normally point the dish way too high, for 39 East, the dish face will appear to be pointing slightly downwards.

Also check the fitting of the F connectors, see my little pictorial tutorial here, the LNB does require power, it is delivered via the coax cable.

Also make sure that your receiver is set on a frequency which carries an easy to receive channel, 12606 H is a good one.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If your dish is like in the picture, then it is facing the wrong direction. You have it pointing south. It needs to be 39 degrees EAST of south.

The LNB gets its power from the receiver up the coax.

If your pole is vertical, set the elevation on the back to what dishpointer says for 39E, then gradually swing the dish round. You need to have the receiver monitoring a transponder on 39E and watch the signal quality as you move, adjust both the elevation and azimuth for max quality.

When you think you have it, do a transponder scan, to see if you get the right channels. Also all the receiver settings would need to be correct too.

eg the correct satellite, LNB type-Universal, LNB -ON.

If you really are ready to give up, maybe your supplier could reccomend an installer.

I would give you a hand for free, but you are too far away.

Robbo:)

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
Would I get absolutely nothing in the way of signal even if i'm a few degrees out?

Even if I was wiggling and moving the dish around for 5 minutes? Is that normal?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It isn't like an aerial, it is very precise, 1.5 degrees away and you'll get nothing, there is also a lag with the receiver showing signal strength changes, it can be as much as a couple of seconds on some receivers.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
It's not as easy to find without a meter as other birds but can still be achieved.

Don't forget the skew (rotation of the LNb) should be approx 8'oclock (-26.7°) looking from in front of the dish :)

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
satelliteman said:
It's not as easy to find without a meter as other birds.

Don't forget the skew (rotation of the LNb) should be approx 8'oclock (-26.7°) looking from in front of the dish :)

I've ordered myself a meter and a compass (!)

SKEW? :eek: I don't think the bracket you sold me has skew adjustment. How do I skew it then?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
OK Skew.

Skew is the rotation of the LNb in it's round holder attached to the dish. Either + OR - can be adjusted (left or right from straight)

Skew matches the satellite's location and it's curvature around the earth :)

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
So, I should rotate the LNB, as I face it and the dish, ANTI-CLOCKWISE by 26.7 degrees. Got it. I forgot about that.

I love that this forum has such a quick response. Makes me want to go out and buy a tonne of equipment and get all 22 XXX channels (as advertised)!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Clockwise looking at the dish from in front :D

A few tips until you get your sat meter.

>Place the receiver onto Hellasat 39East setting and on transponder 12.606H

>Have the receiver close by or someone at the TV to relay to. Remember the time delay between movement of the dish and readings on the screen.

>Place the dish to the rough angles as per dishpointer.com and then the set the skew. (this could be done at the end but best to set it now)

>Move the dish in SMALL movements at a time looking at the signal screen and hopefully you should get a lock on 39e.

>Scan the Transponder or genral scan you you should see ERT & RIK SAT on this transponder 12.606 Horz.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Looking at the dish face, the LNB needs to be rotated clockwise.:)

Did you get a zone 2 minidish in the end?

If so, some of the sky LNBs only have a very limited Skew adjustment, and are already pre-Skewed for eastern satellites.

So you are thinking of getting a system for yourself?

Attachments

• Example_Skew_1LNBF.jpg
    Example_Skew_1LNBF.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 31

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
Robbo71 said:
Looking at the dish face, the LNB needs to be rotated clockwise.:)

Did you get a zone 2 minidish in the end?

If so, some of the sky LNBs only have a very limited Skew adjustment, and are already pre-Skewed for eastern satellites.

So you are thinking of getting a system for yourself?

Thanks again, clockwise when looking from the front, gotcha.

Yes, I got a 60cm dish, fits on the balcony just fine!

The LNB is a universal one, it didn't come with any instructions or make, but I'm going to assume it's not pre-skewed.

I am thinking about it now, but I'd have to find out what extra channels I'd get above and beyond what SKY are selling me, to see if it's worth the bother. What do YOU use it for?

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
P.S. Would an elevation of 20.7° mean the dish would point down a bit?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, as mentioned earlier, probably 3 or more degrees off the vertical.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
and... with a Z2 dish, you will be able to get it skewed ok. It will be to it's furthest adjustment :D

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
I am thinking about my own system now, but I'd have to find out what extra channels I'd get above and beyond what SKY are selling me, to see if it's worth the bother.

What do YOU use it for?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
The bonus of having a huge variety of channels in many different language, 5000+, can't be bad.

Personally, I like to watch Mbc on 26e (Quality English Movie Channels).

Get the News and weather around the world.