Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Heres my setup :

Receiver : Sky HD
Dish : 110 cm
LNB : Inverto Black Ultra

The problem i have is that for some strange reason i can't receive BBC 1, BBC HD and Sky News HD any more or if i can picture freezes. The 2D channels were always a problem, but Sky News HD always used to work ok except for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Anyway went out to check my dish, which is located at the bottom of the garden on a metal pole which has a big metal base which is weighted down with paving slabs. Anyway it would seem that the guy who did the installation did not check with a spirit level if the pole is perfectly vertical, it is not!!! So would this cause reception problems with some of the weaker channels ? For info most other channels such as Sky Sports work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thx Nick

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, the pole doesn't have to be perfecty vertical for a fixed dish installation, I doubt very much if that is your issue, especially as it was working before. Have you checked a tree hasn't blocked the signal a touch, also that the dish hasn't been knocked/blown of alignment slightly?

Also, which 110 dish have you got?

nick6470

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thx for the reply, dish is a no namer cost 40 euros, could that be a problem ? Will check the branches from the trees have not grown into the dish line of sight.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The quality of dish can affect how well it works, but as it was working before OK, it possibly isn't the cause. I have seen some really cheap and nasty dishes working extremely well, pity they take a about 2 hours to assemble all the bits together.LOL

Also since you mentioned a BBC channel, its worth a check to ensure that the channels you watch are not affected by the BBC transponder changes that occurred on the 18th October.

nick6470

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks again for the reply, i can understand that the reception for 2D channels will always be a bit difficult for me because of my location, but i cant understand Sky News HD, this is on the 2A North beam, the other channels on this beam like Nat Geographic HD work fine, (signal strength 80%, sig quality 50 % on Nat Geo HD according to sky HD box) Any ideas ?

Also checked for overhanging branches etc, all is clear, also the LNB is new as i thought this might be the problem.

TIA

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, you should be raking it in on 12460H, just as well as we are here in the UK, and its not on a frequency affected by a DECT phone.

Did you adjust the LNB skew optimally?

Is the cable kinked or damaged at all, you can discount this by connected the box with a short length right at the dish outside?

Is the box starting to go wrong?, some of the Thomson HD models were known to have power supply issues after a while.

Did you know what the signal quality was before it stopped working? as as far as I know above 50% on Sky boxes on the Qual reading should be OK.