Recommendations for a decent meter

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
HI ALL!

The title says it all. I'm looking for a really good meter so I would really like your thoughts guys. The Horizon ones look great. :)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Personally I'd never buy a Horizon. One of the important things is that it is field configurable. What's the budget?

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Roughly speaking, £150. What could I get for that. I've got a Satlink meter, but I want something that's more easy to use. :) Why do you not like the Horizon ones, Huevos? Must have a good reason!

Last edited:

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
For your budget, I'd recommend something like an Emitor Satlook Lite.
Must admit, not a lover of Horizon meters either.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Huevos? Must have a good reason!
Like I said above must be field configurable, and doesn't need a PC or laptop to be plugged in to it to update it. Don't buy a meter you can't configure yourself or that needs a file from the manufacturer.

I haven't ever used the Satlook Lite, but my main meter is an Emitor and on that basis, for your price range I would also recommend that meter.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Horizon meter I have been using for a couple of years now has fully adjustable parameters within the user menu

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
CH, one thing I don't like is a meter that needs any parameters pre-entered. With the Emitor meters you put them on the spectrum peak and they tell you the frequency, SR, fec, etc. Having to know that info in advance doesn't make any sense to me.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
I've used different horizon meters for 8 years. They're easy to operate, lightweight and the batteries are pretty good.

The only downside is you've got to update the transponder presets through a PC. They are easy to update.

They've also got a figure of 8 mains socket and also a dc power socket, which makes it easy to charge from a mains or cigarette lighter power source. There's also a fast charge facility built is, so if you turn up to a customers house with a flat battery, 5 minutes of charging will easily get you out of trouble.

The more popular satellites barely ever need updating as they don't tend to change the tp parameters.

The terrestrial meters also work a treat.

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
CH, one thing I don't like is a meter that needs any parameters pre-entered. With the Emitor meters you put them on the spectrum peak and they tell you the frequency, SR, fec, etc. Having to know that info in advance doesn't make any sense to me.

Well the Horizon does have presets based on the online / web updates, on a per satellite (actually it's on a per country) basis, but you can also enter manually (ooooerr! ), so it is the best of both worlds for a non display analyser.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
The sort of meter I would like is the type where you don't go online to get updates. The watch words are "easy to use". :)

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
for the budget you have/ease of use an horizon hdsm usb is a good choice imo.. havent owned a satlook lite although ive had a satlook mk4/micro g2 and they are good meters although a little larger than the lite model.. online updates are easy and you can use the custom carrier mode to add any transponder, downside is its dvbs only. there are others like satlink/first strike ect. for general enthusiast use/friend/family jobs it will do a job fine. nothing beats a spectrum analyser as you just swing the dish to peak the spectrum and after a couple of hours you will know each bird by its signature

Last edited:

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The Emitor Micro is a good choice for a little more pound notes. The NIT readout has never failed me onsite.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Well the Horizon does have presets based on the online / web updates, on a per satellite (actually it's on a per country) basis, but you can also enter manually (ooooerr! ), so it is the best of both worlds for a non display analyser.
CH, that's exactly what I mean. With the Emitor meters you just switch them on and they are ready to go. They don't need any transponder data (whether from the manufacturer or not).

Anyway, all subjective. Bottom line is you like your kit and it helps you get the job done.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I had a look at the Emitor online, it seems to be quite a decent meter. :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looks like a good little meter.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Yes, it looks easy to use which is what I really need. Cheaper than buying from the UK, too :)

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I like my First Strike 1 meter too.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
These last few days I have been looking at different meters. Anybody heard of a Satcatcher Setsat? They look good but I'm not sure of performance or how easy they are to operate.

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Since mine was nicked, I am on a lookout for a new one as well...