Record one channel and watch another.

rimmer74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
England
Wondering if anyone can help me. I really want to get a satellite system for FTA channels, but was wondering if there was anyway of getting a box that wil record one channel whilst watching another. I know about PVRs but I cant really afford one of those. The only thing I've been able to find is the Metronic Zapbox at Maplins here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47240&&source=14&doy=2m4 Anyone know if it is any good? Are there any other options? Thanks for your help in advance.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Dunno, but Maplin also sell the Fortec lifetime classic, you could buy 2 of those for slightly less! They're a "known ok" receiver, also having the very useful blind scan facility, which saves entering channels manually, not sure if the Metronic does that. Also, if one ever went faulty, you'd still have the other working.

rimmer74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
England
Thanks Spiney.
What else would I need to buy to complete my setup? I have no dish or anything yet! I presume I would need a twin LNB on the dish? Would it be better to buy a basic starter package and then upgrade later, or should I go for the lot straight away?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The box mentioned in your first post does not have two satellite tuners, but a satellite and terrestrial tuner, so not really any good for watching one while recording another. Most of the twin tuner PVR receivers are more than £350, so perhaps two receivers are an option if you already have a recorder, but make sure you get two different makes, or you will experience remote control hell. :)

rimmer74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
England
Yes, I can see how that would be a nightmare. Thanks Rolfw. What about the basic package from www.topsat.co.uk, which includes a Topfield 6500F and then add a separate box? Or does anyone know of a better place to buy a complete package, including a twin LNB? Or should I buy separately?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
sorry, yes, Rolf is right, it would be a good idea to get 2 different manufacturer's receivers! Fortunately, there's many cheap FTA types. Otherwise, you need a dish big enough for the channels you want, plus a dual output lnb.

Where from depends on what's convenient, but for most people that's by courier delivery (Shops are usually more expensive, Maplin are very expensive!). Good prices at: www.cpc.co.uk .

Packages have just a 1 output lnb, so then you'd to replace it with a 2 output one, and probably wouldn't save any money!