Recorded video files

fullduck

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5200D USB Pointed at the Astra 28 Satellite
My Location
Ireland
I have a technomate 5200D usb. The recorded files on the external hard are in which format? And can video files be converted to that format on a computer and then transferred to the harddrive for watching via the set top box?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
From a quick google, it records in a .trp file, which is a transcode file- these normally have a .ts extension. If the tools you find/ use to re-encode them don't like .trp rename them to .ts

forum.videohelp.com/topic340287.html
_http://www.file-extensions.org/trp-file-extension-mpeg-2-tv-recorded-file

And can video files be converted to that format on a computer and then transferred to the harddrive for watching via the set top box?

That doesn't make sense to me- did the STB make the recording?

External hard drive

PVR

Plug an external hard drive in to your Technomate TM 5200D FTA and it becomes a new machine PVR ready with this you can record set timers and play back your favourite TV programmes the picture quality is fantastic.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
fullduck said:
I have a technomate 5200D usb. The recorded files on the external hard are in which format?............
You are probably in a better position to let us know what the file format is yourself. Plug the drive into your PC and have a look.

fullduck said:
........can video files be converted to that format on a computer and then transferred to the harddrive for watching via the set top box?
Assuming you mean converting a WMV or DIVX etc type file to view with the receiver, I would assume that you can.

I dont have one of those boxes so I cant test, but there are plenty of free converters available for all the common formats. My hunch would be that the receiver will probably play MPEG2 files quite happily, although you may have to change the file extension before the receiver will recognise it.

fullduck

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5200D USB Pointed at the Astra 28 Satellite
My Location
Ireland
Working on this over the weekend I found a tool that converts my video files to .ts files (which were the format of the recorded files on the external harddrive). However the converted files wouldn't play properly (they were skipping and the sound was all over the place). I'll keep working on it and keep this thread updated

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
.ts files (transport stream) are a kind of continuous digital data, I record films etc to an 8 gig data stick via USB, I then if want to keep a copy, convert them onto DVD.

Be warned there are quite a few software companies that claim thier programs easily convert .ts to m-peg, DVD etc.

B*llocks do they! After many late nights of trying out thier software there was only one that really can EASILY carry out this task ........ (.ts to DVD) that was ConvertXtoDVD.

For editing and cutting out adverts etc, I use Mpeg video wizard.

I hope thats of any help to anyone reading this thread, further more it would be good to see post's from others, whom use other software different to what I mentioned thats also user friendly!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Another option is to convert the files to DVD format and play in a DVD player.

TMPgenc and TMPgenc DVD Author will do it but can take a very long time to re-encode.

I've used Womble MPEG Wizard to convert files to .ts but the quality is normally awful even at the best quality settings.

If you have lots of files the easiest option is to buy a DVD player than can play divx/ avi/ mpeg formats.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
waverider said:
B*llocks do they! After many late nights of trying out thier software there was only one that really can EASILY carry out this task ........ (.ts to DVD) that was ConvertXtoDVD
I've tried out a few myself and have found ConvertXtoDVD to be the best one I've found.

Nero (Showtime it was I think, there are so many separate apps with Nero 8 that I cant remember) made a mess of the transcoding I found. It took ages and the Audio ended up being out of sync with the video, I have a fairly decent PC so that was not the problem.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Does Project X make a .wav and .m2k file? If yes you can use TMPgenc DVD author to make the DVD files and it's free.

Womble is good for removing adverts.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
mhku said:
I've used Womble MPEG Wizard to convert files to .ts but the quality is normally awful even at the best quality settings..

Agreed, but used for editing its a brilliant tool. I use it to cut out the unwanted stuff then use ConvertXtoDvd to burn the modified file to DVD, the end result has no quality loss!

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
compufunk said:
I've tried out a few myself and have found ConvertXtoDVD to be the best one I've found.

Nero (Showtime it was I think, there are so many separate apps with Nero 8 that I cant remember) made a mess of the transcoding I found. It took ages and the Audio ended up being out of sync with the video, I have a fairly decent PC so that was not the problem.
Yep none of this translate to .srt , convert it to M-Peg this, .avi or vob that! Just load up your .ts file to ConvertXtoDvd and let burn to DVD or save it to file, Simple!

I can't be arsed in sodding about extracting this to that, I can think of better things to do with my time, such as replying to post's in this thread. :)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
waverider said:
I can't be arsed in sodding about extracting this to that, I can think of better things to do with my time, such as replying to post's in this thread. :)
Exactly why I like ConvertXtoDVD, Just drag and drop the files into place then click convert. Its all done for you. :)

Its reasonably priced too @ €40 at the minute (Usually around €50 i think).

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
compufunk said:
Exactly why I like ConvertXtoDVD, Just drag and drop the files into place then click convert. Its all done for you. :)

Its reasonably priced too @ €40 at the minute (Usually around €50 i think).

Hi Compufunk,
From your experience, how long does it take to author a standard 90 minutes film in *.ts format video to a DVD, using the medium encoding option?
I tried it today and after few minutes it gave me an estimate of two hours so I canceled the job as I didn't want to wait that long.
Perhaps this is just an estimate and the exact total time might be a lot shorter.
With another application, it took me roughly 30 minutes.
It has subtitle support which is a big plus for me.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mhku said:
Does Project X make a .wav and .m2k file? If yes you can use TMPgenc DVD author to make the DVD files and it's free.

Womble is good for removing adverts.

I have tried TMPgenc DVD authoring Works 4, but didn't like the dark interface background and the fact that it forces the display to 1024x768 instead of 800x600. Also, it isn't free.
In the Pegasys website, there is now TMPgenc DVD authoring Works 4 and it costs $100.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
HB13DISH said:
I tried it today and after few minutes it gave me an estimate of two hours so I canceled the job as I didn't want to wait that long.
Hi HB13DISH 1.5 - 2 hours sounds about right (although I haven't timed it closely) . It seems to do it in realtime (more or less).

I tend to start the encoding and then just carry on with other things till its done, I'd rather it took a bit longer unattended than to have to do it in more than one step. e.g. extracting 1st then authoring. :)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
compufunk said:
Hi HB13DISH 1.5 - 2 hours sounds about right (although I haven't timed it closely) . It seems to do it in realtime (more or less).

I tend to start the encoding and then just carry on with other things till its done, I'd rather it took a bit longer unattended than to have to do it in more than one step. e.g. extracting 1st then authoring. :)
Thats why the quality is so good! Mind you the other day I burned 'Tomb of the Dragon Emperor' took just under two hours, but then again it was a very large file.

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
Does any one of you have any digital recorder connected to his receiver?
You can burn your data from your hard on to the different kind of DVDs with less difficulty. Having one of Those Pioneer or Panasonic ones connected to the receiver will give better solutions for editing and other kind, and if you wanna to edit more you can do it in your PC.

Arbi.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
d122k7trb said:
Does any one of you have any digital recorder connected to his receiver?
You can burn your data from your hard on to the different kind of DVDs with less difficulty. Having one of Those Pioneer or Panasonic ones connected to the receiver will give better solutions for editing and other kind, and if you wanna to edit more you can do it in your PC.

Arbi.

The question is not whether we have a digital recorder or not.
It is about handling a *.ts file recorded with a satellite receiver PVR.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
HB13DISH said:
The question is not whether we have a digital recorder or not.
It is about handling a *.ts file recorded with a satellite receiver PVR.
Wouldn't be no fun in it, if things weren't complicated! :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
There is a new version of ConvertXtoDVD 3.5.3.139
Still on the trial version, but it is great for burning authored DVD for free.
Prefer the DVD LAB Pro or DVD Lab Studio (just one subtitle) but rather expensive at $125.