Recording from HDD to DVD

SST12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 Combo. 160G HDD. Technomate TM6902 Super Combo, 1TB HDD. 1.2Mtr Channel Master dish & Polar mount, Samsung LED HDTV's
My Location
Eastern England. UK
TECHNOMATE 6900 Combo

Hi all

I have some recordings on my hard drive of both SD and HD,

Is it possible to write these to a DVD as the file extension that the 6900 records in is in a format that I don't recognize.

Thanks, Happy New Year To All.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Don't know about recording to DVD but you can play them back on a PC with GOM player, and probably some others as well.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
SST12 said:
TECHNOMATE 6900 Combo

Hi all

I have some recordings on my hard drive of both SD and HD,

Is it possible to write these to a DVD as the file extension that the 6900 records in is in a format that I don't recognize.

Thanks, Happy New Year To All.

If you are you able to copy the files to a PC, then take a look at the file extension.
It could be *.ts format (TS=Transport Stream).
You can then use Nero Vision to make a DVD out of it or try other DVD authoring software.
The important thing is to first find out the recorded file extension and then we will be able to help you further.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have a similar problem with some recordings made with TM6900 Super that are in *trp format. Can anyone recommend a PC player or utility that will create a viewable DVD. The recording are non FTA made using Diablo 2.3

Thx

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Dont pay too much attention to what the file extension says. Its the codec that's used that is important. You will often find that a standard encoding format (codec) has been used, but that a different file extension has been tagged to the files.

Try changing the file extension to see if it plays in a good media player (VLC handles most standards).

E.g. If the recording is SomeMovie.trp , change it to SomeMovie.ts or SomeMovie.mpg to see if a common encoding standard has been used, and your media player can play it.

If its a common standard of encoding, your choices of conversion software are huge.

For example, the .ts files recorded by my dreambox will play in Windoz Media Player if I change the file extension to .mpg (Because the correct codecs are installed).

Most hardware manufacturers are not going to spend the money required to develop their own encoding systems, so they just use standard ones and add a different file extension in weak an attempt to thwart people from converting/copying the files, and try to force them to use their software for viewing recordings.

Some seem to modify the standards just enough to stop all but their own software from being able to handle the files.:-Nooo

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
moonbase said:
I have a similar problem with some recordings made with TM6900 Super that are in *trp format. Can anyone recommend a PC player or utility that will create a viewable DVD. The recording are non FTA made using Diablo 2.3

Thx

If you are still stuck, try to record a file sample of few seconds from an FTA channel and then upload the file in zip format either as an attachment (maximum 4.8 M:cool: or if larger to a free website so that we can download it and check it for you.
Nero Vission can help you to create a DVD out of a *.ts file.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I recorded 5 minutes of the Non FTA using the TM6900 and Diablo 2.3 and copied it to my local PC. The recording was made with the file extension *.trp however, I made copies renaming them as *.avi, *.mpg and *.ts.

Windows Media Player would not play any of them so I downloaded and installed GOM Player and tried with it. It opens the file but does not play them correctly, it gives a grey flickering screen with very brief flickering parts of the recording but 99% flickering grey screen.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Rgds

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
moonbase said:
I recorded 5 minutes of the Non FTA using the TM6900 and Diablo 2.3 and copied it to my local PC. The recording was made with the file extension *.trp however, I made copies renaming them as *.avi, *.mpg and *.ts.

Windows Media Player would not play any of them so I downloaded and installed GOM Player and tried with it. It opens the file but does not play them correctly, it gives a grey flickering screen with very brief flickering parts of the recording but 99% flickering grey screen.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Rgds

Reference post #6
Also try recording FTA channel.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have made a 30 seconds recording of a FTA broadcast using the TM6900 which is available via the link below.

_http://rapidshare.com/files/182035148/TRP_Recording.zip.html

Thx for any help in getting the recording to play.

Rgds

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
moonbase said:
I have made a 30 seconds recording of a FTA broadcast using the TM6900 which is available via the link below.

_http://rapidshare.com/files/182035148/TRP_Recording.zip.html

Thx for any help in getting the recording to play.

Rgds

Excellent. Thanks, :)
I managed to extract the video and audio files (this you will need in order to make a DVD out of the recordings) and there is no problem or pixilization. No need to change file name.
Use ProjectX and then DVD Lab Pro 2 (or DVD Lab Studio) to make a DVD.
Details in this thread:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...-add-english-subtitle-*-ts-file-burn-dvd.html
You can skip the section regarding the subtitles and use just the extraction and DVD authoring.
See and hear attached snapshot and the audio file.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-19080.jpg
    vlcsnap-19080.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 40

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
HB13,

Thx for the info.

Would you know if the m2v and mp2 files created by Project-X could be used directly by a media player such as VLC or GOM or RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.

I do not need to create a DVD if the m2v and mp2 files can be played by a PC media player. However, would they both play at the same time to give audio & video if a PC media player could play them.

Rgds

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
moonbase said:
HB13,

Thx for the info.

Would you know if the m2v and mp2 files created by Project-X could be used directly by a media player such as VLC or GOM or RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.

I do not need to create a DVD if the m2v and mp2 files can be played by a PC media player. However, would they both play at the same time to give audio & video if a PC media player could play them.

Rgds

No. They will play either the video or the audio.
Try Nero Showtime Player to play the *.trp or change it's name to *.ts if it won't recognize it.
ProjectX is an excellent solution and it will cost you nothing.
I will try Nero this evening as I am now at work.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I downloaded Project-X but could not get it to install. There is a batch file but it aborts and i am not sure how to set it up.

Rgds

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
OK. Found a good solution for you to just play the file.
Use ProjectX but instead of demux, select remux to ts in the Prepare page.
The software will generate a genuine *.ts file and I was able to play it on VLC without any problems.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
moonbase said:
I downloaded Project-X but could not get it to install. There is a batch file but it aborts and i am not sure how to set it up.

Rgds

You need to install latest Java.
There are several versions. Which version did you download?
What is the file name?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
HB13,

I have J2SE Runtime Environment 5 installed with update 5 installed. Also, there are other Java (TM) 6 updates 3, 5, 7 showing as installed in my Control Panel "Add/Remove" Programs list.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
moonbase said:

Rgds
Sounds like you have downloaded the source code, to compile it you will need to have Java SDK (Software Development Kit) installed.

I'm sure there is probably a pre-compiled version available somewhere if you have a look.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
compufunk,

Yes, it is the source code which is probably why i cannot install it or set it up. If anyone has a link to a compiled executable I would be grateful

Rgds

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
HB13DISH said:
I will try Nero this evening as I am now at work.

OK. Tried Nero Showtime player and Nero Vission 4, but no luck.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
moonbase said:
compufunk,

Yes, it is the source code which is probably why i cannot install it or set it up. If anyone has a link to a compiled executable I would be grateful

Rgds

Download ProjectX from the author's website.
_http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?Convert_Tools:projectX
Install latest Java.