remote control problem on ad3000ip

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
Just purchased one of these from ebay. the remote control does not seem to be operating the receiver. I have done the obvious.
1. move closer to the receiver. pressed the SAT button first before anything else.

I have followed the instruction on resetting th remote: Hold down SAT until red light stays on then release SAT key. the red light then flashes. pressed 981 - the red light flashes 4 times.
Now to program the remote: Hold down SAT until red light stays on then release SAT key. the red light then flashes. pressed 0222. the red light should stop flashing and that should be it. I gather is the code of the echostar 3000ip receiver. Anyway, it still does not work.

I presume I am doing it correctly i.e I have understood the manual correctly ?

any help appreciated.

Gerry55

Reaction score
Hi amichaelglg
You only need to do that if you need to control an other device i.e a TV to control the 3000ip first press the sat button second top row on the right, then just use the top one to switch on/off

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
I did say I pressed the SAT button before anything else - i.e the power button - but not working. hence why i did the rest of my actions.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
3000 remotes are notoriously flaky - I had to replace the remote on mine after about 3 years - the buttons failed on the rc

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
I think I know what you mean about flaky, but I don't believe this is the problem because when you press any of the buttons on the remote the led lights up quite easily.

I have seen some where they don't, but taking the remote apart and painting silver paint on the underside of the buttons normally cures that problem. albeit it then becomes a regular problem.

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
I have only just found out from the previous owner the power button never worked (even though the RC led lights up when pressed) , but all the others did. In fact he used the same remote to set up the receiver with some channels.
Well, now with all the additional steps of resetting and setting I have done nothing works. I manaually power the unit on , but none of the buttons work.

Can someone who knows confirm the steps I took were correct.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The fact that the light illuminates is no indication of a command signal being sent to the receiver.

Have you taken the remote apart and checked on the condition of solder joints, any corrosion and all manner of sweat/food/cat/dog/pubic hairs that might have found their way into the unit ?

Plus, why did you buy the second remote in the first place ? Was the original not working ?
Did you check the front panel of the receiver for damage ?

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
Well the owner has suggested I take the batteries out for half an hour and it should reset back to def. The original owner used it to set up the receiver I am asssuming I have buggered something up in the process of resetting/setting.

Channel Hopper, I bought another 2nd hand receiver which came with a RC. There was option to buy-it-now and get a new RC. As there was nothing in the advert about the power button not working I assumed it was just worn keys. In hindsight I should have manually powered the unit on and then checked the remote.

Anyway, my receiver went faulty with the led display showing a continuous dot going around on power-up. I do still have the original remote & receiver , but can't get it back until next wednesday.

No visible damage on the receiver. I hope it's not the receiver !

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
amichaelglg said:
I have only just found out from the previous owner the power button never worked (even though the RC led lights up when pressed) , but all the others did. In fact he used the same remote to set up the receiver with some channels.
Well, now with all the additional steps of resetting and setting I have done nothing works. I manaually power the unit on , but none of the buttons work.

Can someone who knows confirm the steps I took were correct.

Just done the sequence on my RC for setting it up to AD3000 commands, so at least that's the correct procedure. A long shot - maybe it's a faulty IR diode. If you have a digital camera, you can see the diode light up if you point it at the camera.

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
wow, well if I had not seen that with my own eyes I would not have believed something like that would work, but it did ! The diode appears to be fine. Well had the batteries out for an hour , still no luck. Even removed the power plug from the receiver for a few minutes and tried again without luck. Now I am really worried and actually beginning to hope it's the remote control and not the receiver itself !
It seems I will have to wait until wednesday when I get my old RC back. unless someone else has any bright ideas.

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
things are going from bad to worse this morning. First thing this morning the receiver was making a clicking noise with nothing oin the display.
Powered the thing off and on and there is a little C on the display and a rapid succession of clicking noises folllowed by a short few seconds pause and starts clicking again.

Told the guy from E*ay I purchased it from and has suggested I try the power board from my original unit as that sounds like the problem.
Question is:
a. does that sound like the problem ? no error codes in manual.
c. how difficult a job is it to replace ?

obviously not happy at all, in fact very angry at the moment, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt (yet again after the remote problem) to the guy.
I understand power problems with these units I gather are a common problem. I've only had the unit powered in and on standby since saturday mid-day when I received it and now this morning this has happenned !!

One thing I did notice yesterday when feeling the top of the unit it was extremely hot. I'm sure my old one never got that hot. And before you ask there was/is plenty of ventilation above the unit - it went back in the same position as my original receiver which has been there for years.

My otehr receiver on powering on makes a single clicking noise and then displays a flashing cursor going around continuosly.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Your previous box has the dreaded EEPROM fail syndrome. Nothing much you can do with that one, but you could use the power board in your other one, it's easy to replace if as I suspect one or more of its output voltages has gone down (usually the electrolytic capacitors go west).

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
ok. So it's straight forward unscrew remove power board from old unit and fit in new. As long as there is no soldering work required then I should be able to attempt the job myself.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Just let the machine discharge for a few hours before pulling the board out.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
amichaelglg said:
ok. So it's straight forward unscrew remove power board from old unit and fit in new. As long as there is no soldering work required then I should be able to attempt the job myself.

Only two connectors to the mainboard and a few screws. The mains connector can stay, use the one you're swopping it into.

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
cool. thanks. I'll be getting my old machine & remote back from storage (my dad's house) on wednesday. I'll be leaving this one I purchased powered off until then. I'll get back with results on Wednesday.

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
Using my original psu in the replacement receiver - 3 hours in standby and the unit is as cool as a cucumber. I put the old psu in my receiver and within the same time you could not touch the top of the receiver it was so hot and soon after began to start clicking again - so the psu hasn't actually completely died (?). Got back to the seller who has agreed for me to send him the overheating psu and he will send me a replacement - using uprated components.

My RC worked, so the one supplied must have got damaged in transit. In fact that's going straight in the bin. I finished off the installation.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes the faulty SMPS should be repairable, a fault on one of the output supplies not enough to close it down straight away, just stressing the unit generally causing the overheating.

amichaelglg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 3000ip
My Location
surrey
hopefully once I get the new power board in my original receiver, I will send the unit to Eurosat in London to a get a quote to repair the eeprom probably that exists on that one. hopefully not more than £50 otherwise I will keep it as spares. Was thinking of selling it, but in my case it's more valuable as spares.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
amichaelglg said:
My RC worked, so the one supplied must have got damaged in transit. In fact that's going straight in the bin. I finished off the installation.......
I will send the unit to Eurosat in London to a get a quote to repair the eeprom probably that exists on that one. hopefully not more than £50 otherwise I will keep it as spares

Don't do that, a couple of parts will be useful at a later date, especially if you own a dog/baby/wife.

(and you cannot repair an eeprom. The Manhattan Starlight is a prime example of cheap production values creeping in and crippling a company name).