Removing rusty bolts on dish?

blackninja

Reaction score
With a big tree in front of my usual hotbird dish, I've decided to move my skydish over to 13 East. Only problem is with rain etc the bolt on the skydish has become rusty and won't move an inch when I try to unscrew it with a spanner. I've tried tips from a google search such a coke and a flame torch but so far no luck. Any tips?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
WD40 and a wire brush may do it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If its really stuck try soaking the bolts in WD40 for a couple of days. Then if that fails get a junior hacksaw preferably with a new blade on it.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you can get a blowtorch on the nut then that will definitely shift the rust. Undo it when the nut is red hot and use a socket set, preferably a single hex (6 sides, not 12) socket. Ring spanners are a second best but don't bother with an open ended spanner - it'll just round the corners of the nut.

If getting the nut red hot might damage other stuff then heat it up as much as possible and then put some heavy-ish oil on, old style 20/50 engine oil is ideal. Don't use WD40 as this will just evaporate without doing any good - the engine oil will thin down nicely and penetrate (ooh Matron) the threads. If necessary repeat the heating/oil procedure a few times.

When you come to undo it DON'T try to unscrew immediately. Give the spanner a slight tightening motion to break the bond between the nut and bolt and then try to unscrew a bit. Keep rocking back and forth gradually working the nut loose.

You'll get it eventually.

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
Suggest you use a grinder and replace with a brand new stainless steel bolt.

manning3000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pansat
My Location
Canada
You Could also use copper or brass as replacement bolts then you will never have rust problem again, WD40 works good.

grahamd180

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 110,Technomate1500ci super,v-box,Jaeger 1224,Dragon Cam,Cas3,Digitalb card,Conax cam,Lots more in shed!
My Location
East Midlands
Coat the new bolt threads with copper grease from a car spares shop and you will have no problems in future.
G