Rental or buy???

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
80cm Orbital Satellite Dish
Motorized
LNB with 2 outputs, 2nd output leading to upstairs and using Dreambox 500S.
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Amp/Receiver,
My Location
Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland
Many years ago my dad used to rent the tv and VCR we used to have..
My question is, with technology moving on so quick, is it best to still go down the rental route to keep up with technology or is it more expensive then buying a product straight out??

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Depends on how keen you are to keep up with technology ............... some of us run whatever we happen to have until it fails (which these days can be of the order of a decade), some change kit like they change their socks (ie At least once a year) and the rest fall in between.

In general, buying is always going to be cheaper unless you really, really must have the bees-knees at all times.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM600 Official, DM500S Clone, Linux MythTV, Nova-T USB2 Stick, Nova-S-USB2 Tuner, S*y Subs, TRex -CAM, Satelco EasyWatch PCI DVB-S + CI Interface
My Location
West Midlands, England
Ive considered the same thing myself as my 'inherited' 28" SAMMY CRT is on its way out. Looking at the figures for most suppliers, I could buy and own outright the same kit bought from my local cumet within 10-15 months depending on the exact kit I wanted, and should last for 6 years (if you can be bothered to argue European regulations with the mfr). The only protection it does offer as already said is you could always upgrade to the next great thing without another great expense. Depends if 3D is going to float your boat, and thats whats currently putting me off doing an upgrade.