REP. Ireland and the Law ? its 80 euro a week for a small pub.....

mattman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
netbox 300.. astra 28.2 and others..
My Location
ireland south.
like i said its 80 euro a week to have basic sky sports in a pub. This is just not an option.

80 a week! Its a joke if you ask me. My local would have 2/3 watching it.

Anyway, i see loads of pubs now with "other" sat. systems in.

What are they using ? I even asked one manager and they can tell sky to Pi** off if a match is on at 3pm etc. And they can show golf and rubgy to. And its much cheaper, about 96 euro a month !

al jazeera ? im told?

matt.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not really sure what your point is, but if they are only getting 2 or 3 people watching, what the hell have they got football on TV for?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Switch off the TV, put fresh sawdust down every three days, get a good looking wench in to serve the ale, and your punters will drink more.

mattman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ireland south.
yeah...i suppose....few punters in..

its not worth it...

m.

petediscrete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
mvision hd200 combo + Technomate 5400 Super+ technomate diseqc motor+ TD110 dish
My Location
Ireland and Gran Canaria
Not surprised with the price of a pint of lager.€5 and its pure poison.I have no sympathy for pub owners in Ireland.Unlike the UK with the likes of Weatherspoons we have a cartel running particularly in Dublin and its amazing how they all charge the same price.I'm not surprised SKY. charge them that price.A case of beer, a Tring or AD Sports card and sod the pubs.You can smoke your head off if you are that way inclined and no drinking up time.

dave1979

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish,and 1.1m dish,samsung hd receivers(viasat).3sky box's and sky dish's,1 sky italia.
My Location
midlands
mattman said:
like i said its 80 euro a week to have basic sky sports in a pub. This is just not an option.

80 a week! Its a joke if you ask me. My local would have 2/3 watching it.

Anyway, i see loads of pubs now with "other" sat. systems in.

What are they using ? I even asked one manager and they can tell sky to Pi** off if a match is on at 3pm etc. And they can show golf and rubgy to. And its much cheaper, about 96 euro a month !

al jazeera ? im told?

matt.

HA you say 80euros is a joke! i pay £275 a week...! now thats a joke!

jocktrucker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD, TM6900HDsupercombo, Manhattan xtcm, motorised 90cm 53e to 45w, home cinema system.
My Location
EDINBURGH
A pub in my area got rid of Sky and got a company to install a dish, TM500 receiver and subscription for tring, a normal sub you can get on ebay for about £250 quid. They charge the pub £250 per month. Although this is a saving for the pub of about £700, not on the same scale, these companies are making good money from foreign cards. They have, because of this 'loophole' just now been putting out brochures on diffrent packages available.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, all well and good apart from the small but vital point that these Cards are now being disabled for 3pm Footie.

Lots of indignant users right across the Forums.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
jocktrucker said:
A pub in my area got rid of Sky and got a company to install a dish, TM500 receiver and subscription for tring, a normal sub you can get on ebay for about £250 quid. They charge the pub £250 per month.

250 quid a MONTH?? They have been robbed. And the punters arent going to be too impressed if the football goes blank at 2.55pm like it did last week for hundreds of viewers.:-rofl2

Sounds like they are using a card share if they are being charged a monthly fee - and thats a REALLY bad idea for a pub.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
jocktrucker said:
A pub in my area got rid of Sky and got a company to install a dish, TM500 receiver and subscription for tring, a normal sub you can get on ebay for about £250 quid. They charge the pub £250 per month. Although this is a saving for the pub of about £700, not on the same scale, these companies are making good money from foreign cards. They have, because of this 'loophole' just now been putting out brochures on diffrent packages available.

Not to mention that the "loophole" (which is more of a grey area anyway) dosen't apply to none EU cards like tring. The fact you mention a TM500, makes me thing that a tring sub hasn't been supplied at all and c/s is being used. All that puts the pub on very dodgy ground indeed.

Edit - Beaten by AS.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
jocktrucker said:

As indicated by other respondents, seems a pretty bad bargain and a pretty bad idea. It would be better to get a card from an EU provider ---- preferably one not associated with the main UK football TV rights holder; that should be safe till the end of this current season, other things being equal.

mikie8

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000
Diablo wifi
dgstation 200s+ modded to 64Mb
Gibbertini 1.2M Channel Master feedhorn Inverto white
Fibo 90Cm fibo motor inverto white
85cm generic 2600 TM , black ultra
Superjack dp6600
Pace Mss-500
My Location
dagenham
even if you do pay for a legal sub from sly its still illegal to show 3pm saturday matches to the public according to sly and the FA . this has been defended against in court but its still a risk . not sure legally were you stand with off shore subs .

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
European subs are a grey area ATM, the outcome of the Murphy case will decide it eventually. The use of non EU subs is definatley out though, and Sky can and will push for a succesful prosecution, as is the case with pubs using c/s etc to obtain subscription channels.

jocktrucker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD, TM6900HDsupercombo, Manhattan xtcm, motorised 90cm 53e to 45w, home cinema system.
My Location
EDINBURGH
It's not a card share, but an official card. Sorry the box is a TM5200. The publican is aware of the 3pm issue, but as the box has usb capability, I told her that if she pauses the game for 5 minuites and then play it, it is not live.
Still seems like a rip off to me as well. Other publicans in my area have went for the Sky italia route, but not heard if their has been any problems. The Sky Italia cards and box are bought through the same companies, who are marketing them.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
If it's a sub and not C/S then 250 sovs a month is almost certainly a rip off and not much better (just cheaper) than the other rip off the pub is trying to avoid.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
They're charging you for a yearly subscription every month! And it's blacked out between the hours of 3 and 5 so it doesn't matter if it's paused

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
jocktrucker said:
It's not a card share, but an official card. Sorry the box is a TM5200. The publican is aware of the 3pm issue, but as the box has usb capability, I told her that if she pauses the game for 5 minuites and then play it, it is not live.
Still seems like a rip off to me as well. Other publicans in my area have went for the Sky italia route, but not heard if their has been any problems. The Sky Italia cards and box are bought through the same companies, who are marketing them.

It's not a card at all if it's a TM5200. No Card reader. Must be a 5300 or 5400....sorry to be pedantic.

mikie8

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000
Diablo wifi
dgstation 200s+ modded to 64Mb
Gibbertini 1.2M Channel Master feedhorn Inverto white
Fibo 90Cm fibo motor inverto white
85cm generic 2600 TM , black ultra
Superjack dp6600
Pace Mss-500
My Location
dagenham
also pausing it and then playing does not get around the law as its not how or even if you watch it but what capabilites you have to watch .

sky is not instant . put bbc1 on freeview , cable and sky on 3 tv sets and they will all be out of sync so in reality none are live , but they are classed as live when broadcast .

look for a sub from a full eu country , stay away from CS and tring .

erukus1

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm600
My Location
Cornwall
80 euro a week is like a mortgage

mattman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ireland south.
4 pubs in my local area now have tring! and show the sports all the time..sky called into them..and they had to leave! about time to!
its great! they tell me its 455 euro for a year, including all the system, sat dish and reader and card! next year its only abut 180 euro for 2012-13 season(prem ship).

nice.....