REQUEST for SKY multiroom abroad help

gilbem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD88, Technomate 1500ci
My Location
Northampton
Hi

I understand that $ky multiroom requires a permanent phone line connection and viewing cards inserted at all times.

However, my parents want English TV in their Italian holiday home for their short visits of 1 to 2 weeks evey few months or so.

Would it be possible for me to increase my current $ky full package subscription to a multiroom subscription and lend my parents the extra viewing card for their short holiday trips then return the card back to the valid $ky box when they are not on holiday? I was hoping for my parents to use the $ky viewing card in a non updating technomate box with a decyption CAM [diablo/TREX]. I am hoping this short offline period of the multiroom box would still suffice any card update and $ky multiroom box connection monitoring requirements.

Italy is outside the Astra 2d footprint so channels received would only be the $ky subscriber channels e.g. $ky Sports, Movies, UK TV Gold etc. Would the Technomate box and respective CAM decode these subscriber $ky channels.

If any one has any experience of such a set up or sees and major problems with my plan then your advice would be much appreciated?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes that should be fine. A few short breaks wont cause any problems. Just make sure you reclaim the card as soon as they get back..

Remember if you go down the TM route you may find the transmission pids dont upddate correctly - and they change regularly at 28E - leaving you with trying to sort out the blank screens from 1500 miles away.

BUT if you go down the sky receiver route then they wont get any premium channels (sports & movies) as they are paired to one box.

gilbem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northampton
Thanks, $ky sportsis essential!!
How often do the PIDs update, is it random or can you guarantee a certain amount of time after removing the card. I heard the TM9100 can receive the updates. Would this be a better buy than say the TM1500.

Is it possible to update the PIDs without a $ky box.
Also would the CAM require regular updates for NDS decryption. CAMs are smallso I ould send out with the card if necessary.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The pids are the video and audio packet identifiers - nothing to do with the encryption. Some receivers track them automatically (eg sky digiboxes), some boxes normally do a pretty good job of updating them when they change, and some boxes are hopeless and just give you a blank screen when the video pid changes.

Never used a 1500 so I cant say how well it would behave.

Changes are erratic and semingly random.

gilbem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northampton
Oh dear, seems like another hurdle, what would be a good receiver to use then?

Will the PID updates eventually sort themselves out or do you need to do something like reset the box, card etc?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
To be honest with you in this situation the best receiver to use is a sky digibox.....

Some non-sky boxes you need to rescan the affected frequency / frequencies.