required dish size in Athens

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
Hi,

I'm enquiring on behalf of my brother who has moved to Athens/Greece. What dish size would be required for a multiple lnb system to receive:

a: 13e + 19.2e?

b: 13e + 19.2e + 28.2e?

Many thanks for your help

Martin

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Reported that 28e 2D beam alone will require a 3m+ for reception.

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
ok, so no chance for 28.2e. How about 13e + 19.2e?

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
marty80 said:
ok, so no chance for 28.2e. How about 13e + 19.2e?

Should be able to receive all of 13e & most of 19.2e. I would suggest that you go to 26e instead of 28.2. Some good fta channels on 26e.

Just for your info. I reside in malta....(not much difference in Lat with Athens and I receive all these Sats with a very good signal strenght plus a sizable amount of 28.2e.

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
zorbua said:
Should be able to receive all of 13e & most of 19.2e. I would suggest that you go to 26e instead of 28.2. Some good fta channels on 26e.

He would want 28.2e to get the British channels (BBC, ITV, CH4). But not if you need a 3m dish. I guess 1.5m would be the maximum dish size.

But my original question was what would be the minimum dish size to get 13e and 19.2e on one dish in Athens? Would something like 80cm be enough or would it have to be something bigger?

Cheers, Martin

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
marty80 said:
He would want 28.2e to get the British channels (BBC, ITV, CH4). But not if you need a 3m dish. I guess 1.5m would be the maximum dish size.

But my original question was what would be the minimum dish size to get 13e and 19.2e on one dish in Athens? Would something like 80cm be enough or would it have to be something bigger?

Cheers, Martin

Sri M8, I intended to tell you...somehow it slipped my mind.... A 1 Meter Dish would be enough, probably even an 80cm one should do it for the13e and 19.2E.
I have a 1.2 meter Dish (beside a 1Meter one ) and I can receive.... the BBC Interactive channels quite strongly..... Itv anglia W and ITV 1 Central SW,... and CH 4 on Freq 12480 V with a 48% (SNR), also Ch 4 HD on 11798 H with a signal level of 83%. Even the ITV HD comes in although always with the caption of ''This service is currently unavaiable'' and rather weak, but no pixalation whatsover. Anway all in all I can say that I receive more than 200 channels from the Astra 28.2 with this 1.2 Dish, and all of the Hotbird and Astra 19.2.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Zorbua

It is foolish to begin making comparisons between what you can receive in Malta and what the o/p wants to receive in Athens/Greece. With fringe reception a 10Km difference in longitude or latitude can make a two fold difference in dish diameter. Athens is 9 degrees further east how can you possibly compare the two.

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Topper said:
Zorbua

It is foolish to begin making comparisons between what you can receive in Malta and what the o/p wants to receive in Athens/Greece. With fringe reception a 10Km difference in longitude or latitude can make a two fold difference in dish diameter. Athens is 9 degrees further east how can you possibly compare the two.

Lets start at this point, I have seen the Lyngsat satellite footprint for the 13e and 19e as regards Athens and and if you cared yourself to have consulted it you would have come to the same conclusion as I did
mister so I don't think thats foolish. Secondly I advised him to go for the 26e instead of 28.2 for the simple fact that again according to Lynsat Charts he won't be able to receive the 28.2e as well as the 13e and 19.2e although I stand to what I informed him, that he will be able to receive the 28.2e but in restricted form. The proof of the pudding will be if he puts up a 1 meter Dish for the 13e and 19.2e and a 1.2 for Astra 28.2 and then he can tell us who is foolish or not. Oh btw thank you for gracefully granting me an infraction for helping a fellow member with his problem you could have told me that bin files etc etc are not allowed.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
zorbua said:
Oh btw thank you for gracefully granting me an infraction for helping a fellow member with his problem you could have told me that bin files etc etc are not allowed.

When you signed up to the forum you agreed to abide by the rules, perhaps you forgot to read them!

As regards the content of this thread, we appear to be getting at cross purposes here zorbua. The o/p who resides in England is referring to his brother having moved to Athens who appears to be expecting to get from 28.2 East in Athens, exactly what he can got in the UK and in order to do that he will require in the region of a 3.0mtr Dish. Perhaps my wording of foolish was incorrect and therefore for that I apologise, I should have use the word misleading to be more accurate

Nowhere in my posts have I ever mentioned not being able to get 13 East or 19 East since having lived in the Middle East I am well aware of what can and cannot be received in the Eastern Mediterranean and do not need to 'care to check lyngsat' for what I already know.

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Topper said:
When you signed up to the forum you agreed to abide by the rules, perhaps you forgot to read them!

As regards the content of this thread, we appear to be getting at cross purposes here zorbua. The o/p who resides in England is referring to his brother having moved to Athens who appears to be expecting to get from 28.2 East in Athens, exactly what he can got in the UK and in order to do that he will require in the region of a 3.0mtr Dish. Perhaps my wording of foolish was incorrect and therefore for that I apologise, I should have use the word misleading to be more accurate

Nowhere in my posts have I ever mentioned not being able to get 13 East or 19 East since having lived in the Middle East I am well aware of what can and cannot be received in the Eastern Mediterranean and do not need to 'care to check lyngsat' for what I already know.

Actually yes, I did not read them, most probably thought they will be as other Forums, never thought that you cannot post 'bin files' keys' etc. etc. my fault, and I too apologise on that aspect. As regards the o/p, I fully understood that to be able to receive whatever his brother received in the UK entailed a 3 meter Dish, no question about that, in fact thats why I adviced him to go for the 26e, instead, if he wanted too, but if he wanted to go for a partial reception of the 28e channels I believe he can do so provided he asembles a 1.2 Dish, very properly aligned on the Sat. Hopfully this clarify everything to everyone satisfaction. (Phew Chr*st have to think in Maltese and type out everything in English, quite a headache in situations like this, I can tell you m8)