Review of the Akura HDD DVD Recorder

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I was initially very irritated when I bought this Akura HDD DVD recorder because I couldn't get it to work. The machine seemed to be functioning in every way except the picture - the most IMPORTANT PART!

All I could see was a test page, with two vertical lines, one black, one white. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of these lines, even asking friends and Internet tech help forums. No luck, until Mickha told me to press and hold down the power button for at least ten seconds upon start up.

I did it and it worked. But there's no mention of this in the instruction book, nor is a test page mentioned in the trouble-shooting page. So, now you know!

Anyway, the machine is very good, once you get passed the test page! It records in both + and - DVD formats.

It also plays VCDs. But the best part is the 160GB hard drive where you can store all your programmes. There's masses of space, and the quality even on the EP mode is just like the original TV picture. You can also pause live TV and go back a few minutes even when you're recording. The recording is not interrupted. For me, this was a first, and it just knocked me back. ;)

You can also link it up to your computer via a USB cable. There are also other video and audio connections.

All in all, great value for just under 100 quid! You could easily pay double that price and not get as many features. :D