sooty736

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FORTEC STAR PASSION+
Satellite Kit (Maplins).
My Location
Derbyshire
Hi
I recently updated my passion+ with the software from the FortecStar WEB site pn2_av123fs_20090910
It looks very nice but seems to have a few bugs in the software.

I have set a few timed programs to be recorded & these have not been recorded
(Direct recording of program worked fine)
Also system start from standby gives no video or audio via HDMI lead. (I don’t use a SCART so not checked that) Only way to get video back is to carry out a power shut down. System starts up ok and audio/video returns.
I have rolled back to the older software p2_av110_20090107 all loaded & works fine.

Has anybody else noticed any quirks?
:confused

The Wander

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
Vistron 42" HD
My Location
West Country
Has anybody else noticed any quirks?

I upgraded my Passion+ to the Jan 8th 2009 version from their website. I must say it worked a lot better then the original firmware it came with. I now had a working 7 day EPG and other useful updates.

Last week I updated to the latest version Sept 10th 2009 again from their website. After using the firmware for about a week now I cannot recommend it.

It has two major flaws, one, if you power the system off overnight (to save energy) or get a power cut, when the system reloads the software it will come up already powered on to the last channel you powered down. Not a good idea if your out at the time or have an overnight power cut.

The second flaw is the EPG, with the older Jan 8th version the EPG loaded while the system was in standby and as soon as the unit was turned to a channel the EPG was available to use. The new version however does not display all the selections on the EPG until you move the selection band up and down the listing when you can watch the listings appear as you move from page to page.

The layout is much clearer to use and gives more information but because of the two flaws above I would not recommend anyone update to it just yet.

May I also make a note for users updating their firmware. If you already have loader version 1.5 there is an option to update the firmware from a USB flash drive from within the menus.

Proceed as follows;
Download the update from the Fortec Star website (make sure you get the correct version for the Passion+).
The file will be in zipped format so use either an unzipping program or if using Vista or Windows 7 unzip it directly to a folder.
Copy the unzipped file to an empty, fat32 formatted USB flash drive. It must be the only file on the drive and must end in a .dnl filename.
With the Passion+ turned on and showing any channel on your TV insert the flash drive into one of the USB sockets (front or rear).
Press ‘Menu’ on the remote control, from the list select ‘Channel Edit’ and from this list select ‘Software Transfer’ (it might just read S/W Transfer).
From the next menu select your front or rear USB port and then select and click OK to the ‘System Update’ selection.
If the system recognises your flash drive (I have one it does not and one it does), the file name should appear ready for updating. Click OK to proceed with the update and follow the instructions.
After erasing the old firmware the update will be loaded and the system will reset, at this point remove your flash drive and wait for the system to restart.

Note: if you do update to the Sept version, after the system re-starts there is a 5 minute wait for the settings to be updated, DO NOT skip this part.

Hope this helps someone, regards W.

irishtaff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 110cm dish
Motorised Fortec Star 90cm dish
Static Zone 2 sky Dish
Fortec Star Passion+HD
Panasonic Sky Digibox
Aston Simba Easy HD with Fransat
TBS6925 DVBS2C Card
Philips 42PFL8404H MHEG tv
Vista Home
Windows 8 Pro
My Location
Ireland
Hi
Also new to passion+ and understand that I have to enter each software update individually to get to the latest version.
The question I have is "When I get to the latest ... how do I roll back to the previous version if I don't like it?":confused
Thanks for your detailed procedure I will upgrade from V1.0.0 tonight and wait for your suggestions re above.
Colin

irishtaff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 110cm dish
Motorised Fortec Star 90cm dish
Static Zone 2 sky Dish
Fortec Star Passion+HD
Panasonic Sky Digibox
Aston Simba Easy HD with Fransat
TBS6925 DVBS2C Card
Philips 42PFL8404H MHEG tv
Vista Home
Windows 8 Pro
My Location
Ireland
All updated OK. At Sept 09 version now.
Like you, the EPG is not what I would have expected albeit better than the "now and next" display inV1.0.0
Unlike yours.my EPG only appears for those programmes that are selected rather than when scrolling through the channel list and then only for 4 days.

The Wander

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
Vistron 42" HD
My Location
West Country
The question I have is "When I get to the latest ... how do I roll back to the previous version if I don't like it?"

If as you say you upgraded version by version then you should still have the Jan version saved. Just load this on to your flash drive as you did above and reload it exactly as you did before.

Pleased my instructions helped :).

Regards, W