RTE In the UK - Can you help?

H

hughes_jh

Member
Messages
1
My Satellite Setup
Sky + HD
My Location
UK
Hi benifa,
Your solution seems by far and away the most efficient on here. I have a couple of questions.

Can I use your solution with an address in Northern Ireland? That way I get RTE and UTV (both carry GAA coverage) and my account will stay in £ sterling.

I have a HD box with the HD subscription, will this still work ok?

Finally, I seen ads on the TV saying SKY are issuing new viewing cards and a new EPG setup. Will this scupper my plans?

The address I plan to use is my parents which doesn't have sky installed at the moment but I plan to do the "A" suffix anyway.

Thanks
 
B

benifa

Member
Messages
12
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ TDS470N 160gb
My Location
UK / Ireland
hughes_jh said:
Hi benifa,
Your solution seems by far and away the most efficient on here. I have a couple of questions.

Can I use your solution with an address in Northern Ireland? That way I get RTE and UTV (both carry GAA coverage) and my account will stay in £ sterling.

I have a HD box with the HD subscription, will this still work ok?

Finally, I seen ads on the TV saying SKY are issuing new viewing cards and a new EPG setup. Will this scupper my plans?

The address I plan to use is my parents which doesn't have sky installed at the moment but I plan to do the "A" suffix anyway.

Thanks
Should be fine. You're in England, the address of your Sky account is to be one in NI - your parents address, right?

If so, shouldn't be a problem at all. And I agree - an NI sub is the best of all!
 
R

realjamo

Member
Messages
4
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
London
Hey Guys, read a lot of the posts here. I've done something similar.

I got sky registered to my friends address in dublin. when the engineer came, he couldnt install the dish because the building was listed etc. so i told him to leave the box and id sort it out somehow( :p) . he paired the card to the hd box(amstrad drx780uk) and left.

Im in london now, hooked up the box to a dish that was used for irish sky before. all the channells work, sports, movies etc, EXCEPT the irish ones like rte 1, 2, tv3 etc. the tv guide shows whats on at what times on these channels but the screen says no satellite signal received.

i've checked in the settings ans the signal strength is high.

do i need to activate the card with sky(seems that i shouldnt have to has all the other channells are working)

Also, the first time the box was turned on was in the uk. i did a software update etc. should this have been done in ireland first?

Sorry if this has been overed, but most people seem to have the boxes setup in ireland first, which worked for me before too.

Cheers,

James
 
timo_w2s

timo_w2s

A Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,360
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
realjamo said:
Im in london now, hooked up the box to a dish that was used for irish sky before. all the channells work, sports, movies etc, EXCEPT the irish ones like rte 1, 2, tv3 etc. the tv guide shows whats on at what times on these channels but the screen says no satellite signal received.
If it says "no satellite signal received," then that's the most likely problem, not the card. The Irish channels are on Astra 2D. Are you able to receive other channels like Sky Real Lives (assuming it's in your pack)? Are there any other channels missing giving a no signal error? What kind of dish have you connected your box to?

The signal meter only checks one default channel so isn't really helpful in this case.
 
B

benifa

Member
Messages
12
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ TDS470N 160gb
My Location
UK / Ireland
realjamo said:
all the channells work, sports, movies etc, EXCEPT the irish ones like rte 1, 2, tv3 etc. the tv guide shows whats on at what times on these channels but the screen says no satellite signal received.
IIRC, this has been an issue for new ROI installs since the introduction of the new white Sky viewing cards. I think it's because the card is not paired / activated properly. Since you can't complete a New Installation yourself, with callback, since you're now in London - get on to Sky and see if they can manually pair it / sort it for you.

By the way, why go for ROI sub? NI sub is much better - and cheaper!
 
R

realjamo

Member
Messages
4
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
London
jsut went to check sky real lives ut all the channels were off, except dave, virgin 1(and +1), comedy central +1, s4c.....

did a software update again. then plugged out the box, took out the card for a few mins and started it up again(this worked yesterday when this happened) but the channels (i.e. sports, bbc etc) were still down.

I've read about some boxes resetting themselves etc. is this whats happening here. if this were so, it should be fine after i re-initiated everything right?

as for ringing sky, i dont want to say the wrong thing. will they not wonder why the engineer didnt set it all up for me etc?

I have a tech coming to help out, see what he says. any help would be appreciated though. he'll prob charge a fortune if i have to keep calling :p
 
B

benifa

Member
Messages
12
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ TDS470N 160gb
My Location
UK / Ireland
realjamo said:
as for ringing sky, i dont want to say the wrong thing. will they not wonder why the engineer didnt set it all up for me etc?
No, just say your phone line wasn't working when the engineer came, and it still isn't. You've called BT to come and get your phone line fixed but they're taking ages.. bla bla.

Sky will manually enable your card, fixed the Irish channels problem, and bob shall be the brother of your mother.
 
timo_w2s

timo_w2s

A Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,360
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I still think it could be a reception issue rather than a Sky card, especially if Sky Real Lives was also not working.
 
R

realjamo

Member
Messages
4
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
London
rang sky this morning, changed a setting so that to a single signal input, restarted, everything was working fine except the rte channels again. the sky guy told me to do a sky+rebuild. did that too, no effect, so he said hes sending out some signals to the box and give it 4 hours. the tech was here at the time though. he said it was just a blow off and that he thinks the box is only partially activated. said hed call sky himself later cos they have to be told what to do, as a lot of them just try to get you off the phone happy.

hopefully itll get sorted, anybody have any ideas on what the problem is. apparently the tech has seen this happen a lot before?
 
B

benifa

Member
Messages
12
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ TDS470N 160gb
My Location
UK / Ireland
realjamo said:
hopefully itll get sorted, anybody have any ideas on what the problem is. apparently the tech has seen this happen a lot before?
It's been an issue since Sky changed from the blue viewing cards to the new white ones - ROI activations happen without the Irish channels. Sky can sort this manually, once you call them, but it has to go off to their tech department.
 
R

realjamo

Member
Messages
4
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
London
signals didnt work. the tech said to ask for a 'chain 2 scan' when i rang them up. the girl on the phone said that the last guy gave me wrong info, that it takes 24 hours, not 4 hours for the signal to go through and that shed never heard of a chain 2 scan, they could only do an astra scan. so basically, just fobbed me off again until tomorrow.

I explained about the blue/white card thing and its supposed to have happend a lot, she just said there are other signals they can try tomor. some games on sat i wanna watch though, hope its up by then! sky dont seem to know what theyre doing really :(
 
B

buckalec

Member
Messages
2
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
antrim
Hi I have a ROI Sky sub but live in NI (get extra matches on TV3 and some others not blocked as NI sub) all working fine. I now want to upgrade to Sky+ or Sky+hd. Can I simply buy a Sky+/Sky+hd box and ring sky (ID withheld) and ask them to match my existing card and the new box? Thanks
 
B

benifa

Member
Messages
12
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ TDS470N 160gb
My Location
UK / Ireland
buckalec said:
Hi I have a ROI Sky sub but live in NI (get extra matches on TV3 and some others not blocked as NI sub) all working fine. I now want to upgrade to Sky+ or Sky+hd. Can I simply buy a Sky+/Sky+hd box and ring sky (ID withheld) and ask them to match my existing card and the new box? Thanks
Yes that's fine.
 
B

buckalec

Member
Messages
2
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
antrim
benifa said:
Yes that's fine.
Thanks Benifa.
Does it matter if the new sky+/Sh+hd box originated in uk or Ireland?
 
B

benifa

Member
Messages
12
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ TDS470N 160gb
My Location
UK / Ireland
buckalec said:
Thanks Benifa.
Does it matter if the new sky+/Sh+hd box originated in uk or Ireland?
No it doesn't matter.
 
P

pajo100

Regular Member
Messages
121
My Satellite Setup
1.2 /1.8 Channel Master fully 36v motorised 58west to 42east Pace MSS500 Positioner
,Technomate 6900 Super HD ,Humax 8100PVR oh and a Amstrad Sky+ digibox.
My Location
Ireland
buckalec said:
Hi I have a ROI Sky sub but live in NI (get extra matches on TV3 and some others not blocked as NI sub) all working fine. I now want to upgrade to Sky+ or Sky+hd. Can I simply buy a Sky+/Sky+hd box and ring sky (ID withheld) and ask them to match my existing card and the new box? Thanks
If you get a new ROI sub now they give you a free Sky HD box with no monthly rental and first 2 months sub half price plus get a friend to reccomend you and they get €50 euro back !! great deal as I think the UK have to pay a monthly fee for the box.
Sky are apparently not supplying any other boxes now only the HD ones.
 
timo_w2s

timo_w2s

A Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,360
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
pajo100 said:
I think the UK have to pay a monthly fee for the box.
You have to pay a monthly subscription just like ROI, nothing more.
 
Top