taffy056

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Only Sky + at the moment
My Location
Wales
Hi,

I am looking to buy a system that will pick up Russian channels here in South Wales, I would like to know what channels are available now, on what satellites, and how big a dish would I need to receive the channels I am interested in, such as First, RTV, NTV etc? Also would these be FTA or must you pay a subscription?

Finally I see there so many receivers out there at the moment I am unsure which ones fit the bill, I quite like the look of the Dreambox, will it work for me, are there good alternatives?

Many Thanks,

Craig

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres half a dozen channels fta on 13E - a 60-80cm dish will be plenty for these. The NTV bouquet is pay tv.

The Dreambox is a high end enthusiasts receiver - its not a good introduction to the hobby for the absolute beginner. However its great fun to drive, and I love mine to bits now.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
First Channel is FTA on Hotbird along with RTR, K+ which shows old Russian films, and Russia Today which is broadcast in English, but the RTVi package is subscription as is NTV Mir and First Channel on Sirius.

If going for a fixed dish think Hotbird is your best bet, and if new to this hobby I would get a Technomate 1500 receiver as it is easy to use and if you decide to get a pay card it will work alright in the TM1500.

One more idea is trying 40 east but you will have to get a receiver that has mpeg4 installed, because there are a load of channels that are FTA at the MOMENT, but if they stay that way who knows.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Anyone with a sky system - have a look at epg 182 for a pleasant surprise.

taffy056

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Only Sky + at the moment
My Location
Wales
Hi,

Many thanks for the replies, its very helpful!

Looking at the subscription services by NTV & RTVi, where do you buy the subscription cards in this country, and how much do they cost?

Thanks,

Craig

taffy056

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Only Sky + at the moment
My Location
Wales
Rob said:
One more idea is trying 40 east but you will have to get a receiver that has mpeg4 installed, because there are a load of channels that are FTA at the MOMENT, but if they stay that way who knows.

Thanks for that, but which receivers have mpeg4 built in? This looks very promising, I am looking at maybe a motorised system as used to have one before, so 40e, 13e & 5e are the ones I would be looking for, would a dish say about 90cm be good enough for this?

Craig

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Mpeg 4 is high definition. They will almost certainly be scrambling at some point so dont spend loads of money on somethingh that might not do what you want it to do for more than a few days or weeks....

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
AG is right as 40 east could well be scrambled soon, but one other satellite that does provide FTA channels is Express AM22 at 53 east.

There are two Domashniy channels (one is + 2 hours) and STS (or CTC in Russian) which also shows two channels with one of them plus two hours.
These are the same channels that they show in Moscow.
They also show some music channels as well.
A 90 cm dish is more than big enough to get all the satellites mentioned.

* Taffy, Have sent you PM.