S*ca2 decoder on the pc

Hi there,

I am a Malaysian and currently a subscriber to Astro, the only available Sat-TV provider. I am not interested in obtaining free access to Astro - although once its commercially viable I might :). I have read a bit and understand that the satellite signal is currently encrypted using s*ca2.

My question is, with a valid smartcard is it possible too offload the decoding process on to my computer? Assuming that I have the needed hardware such as a smart card reader and a tv decoder card. What software would I be looking at to make it happen? I am trying to build a PVR unit but its really irritating to still have to change channels on the Astro decoder.

p.s. I know that s*ca2 pairs the decoder together with the card but could there be a way to emulate the decoder itself?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You would need a satellite card with a CAM slot and then use a Mediaguard CAM for your legitimate card. You may also be able to do it with a phoenix programmer connected to your computer, but not entirely sure.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Pesky, Mediaguard CAMs are probably around the €100 mark.

@ firefox76, No, not as far as I know.

[size=-1]Rolfw, please checkout www.la-cafetera.com/seca2.htm , They said can read card seca2 with card v7, it's real or fake?

Thanks
[/size]

Thanks Rolfw for all your help. Now before I go off spending money, just to confirm one last thing. Can I purchase a MR(Matrix Reloaded) CAM and use it with my valid Astr0 smart card without prior reprogramming of the CAM since the CAM supports the Astr0 provider ID as well as S*ca2?

tometto

My Satellite Setup
Satellite & Computer Setup
My Location
From Boot
you can use one PCI sat tuner+progDvb+pmcam2+smartmouse+

original card for pay tv se#a2