Advice Needed Sab Unix twin tuner receiver HD receiver with mini wireless keyboard

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a humax fox free to air receiver and a PIXX ADT 1200 free to air
My Location
England
I am thinking of buying the above receiver. My questions are

Will I be able to record channels such as TV5Monde and Arte from the Astra Satellite
Why does it have a mini wireless keyboard and what might I do with that?
Has anyone had experience of this receiver - is it any good?

At the moment I have an ordinary receiver which recieves the channels but does not record.

I do not have, need or want sky if that is relevant.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Will you be able to record? Not directly no - the boxes dont have an internal hard drive. HOWEVER they do have a usb port so you can just plug in a biggish pen drive or external hard drive and record to that instead.

TV5 Monde & Arte France are fta on 19E so yes you should be able to record them

No idea what the keyboard might be for - a bit of a gimmick really.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Why does it have a mini wireless keyboard and what might I do with that?

Internet, web browser, youtube etc.

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a humax fox free to air receiver and a PIXX ADT 1200 free to air
My Location
England
Thank you very much for your reply.

I understood that this particular satellite receiver does have a hard drive

I thought that it did have a hard drive partly because it said you can
. Record one channel and watch another using the optional hard drive
but then why is the hard drive optional?

Also in the email I received from Satellitesuperstore they said
There is a low cost fta receiver which you can plug a USB stick into or there is a hard drive option. I cannot imagine why the receiver would record onto a USB stick rather than a hard drive but I am not very technically minded. If neither machine record onto a hard drive but both record onto a USB stick for some reason then the £89 one or is it the £59 one? would do instead of the £250 one.

As you can see I am really confused. I find the information on the satellitesuperstore website difficult to absorb. I use USB sticks for the laptops but not sure how they will work for a satellite receiver.

Perhaps I can solve the problem another way.
I have a new blu ray DVD recorder which I found out too late did not record from satellite as it does not have the necessary scart imput. However it does have a USB port and so does my old DVD non blu ray recorder upstairs. I am wondering if I could record onto the recorder upstairs then move the programme I want to watch to the recorder/player downstairs (It is more convenient to watch downstairs).

I bought the wrong DVD Blu Ray recorder which did not have the necessary scart input. I cannot take it back as it is too late.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I would suggest you contact one of our site sponsors, who will give you good adviceand probably a better deal:
https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/forum-supporting-advertisers-special-offers.635/

Most modern satellite receivers will play files recorded onto a USB stick, depending on the recorded format, including cheap FTA receivers, but you might want to consider other alternatives, like a Linux based receiver, with an internal hard drive, for recording, dual tuners, and one that will network with your PC.