Sales of Magic Module banned in Germany

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A combined legal action brought by some of the major encryption companies has triumphed in it's bid to restrict sales of the MM in Germany.

This has been reported in a couple of other forums and I am trying now to find the original German language article.

P

pmcmill

I find this very strange . The MM in it's unprogrammed form , which is how it's normally sold , serves absolutely no purpose . Now being sold already programmed is another matter and no doubt infringes various patents/copyrights . It's like suing people for buying an unformatted PC who in the future may use it for illegal purposes . Sound like one for the European parliament to me.
Paul

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that it has more to do with copyright infringement by the manufacturers, they have obviously "borrowed" certain technology in the design.

marmal

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malta
No wonder, then Magic Module is no longer on Dream Multimedia Website. Lets hope support and software updates don't stop too !! O-Ha

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Though the CAMs are manufactured in Germany at the moment, I'm sure that they can readilly be switched to an Eastern country.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I think we'll find that pressure is being placed on dealers from all qurters, and in all countries. A local dealer here (NL) told me that C+ is pressurizing him, and he has stopped stocking these modules. The grounds for C+ getting involved are even more spurious than those for SCM... In any event, it has already restricted the supply in NL, and the price has increased by 50 euros...

2old

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
Yet, some dealers in Germany started advertising magic modules with new hardware revision v.1.03 which was rumoured to overcome the infringement of rights problems early September.

The price for these is set at ~ 230 Euros without the programmer, which is about 50 Euros upcharge, compared to previous pricing.

Let us watch this space!

Phil2002

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
A couple of UK online stores managed to get these new V1.03 Magic Modules in, one I know of got 100 in and they sold like hot cakes and are now out of stock again! I think people jumped on them as soon as they arrived as they could have been the last if the supplier of these in Germany has been stopped