same signal strength - variable signal quality

johnshephard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish astra 28 east
free to air receiver
My Location
Crete
I have a 1 meter dish and receive Astra 28.2°E & Eurobird 28.5E south beam here in Crete. Can anyone explain to me why I get good signal strength on all channels but very different signal quality.
I use an SL65 free to air receiver

For example frequency
12441 V has 70% strength but 45% quality
11642 V has 70% strength but 55% quality
11954 H has 70% strength but 40% quality

we just had a quick burst of rain and whilst the signal strengths remained up around 70% the signal quality dropped to 25% - 30%

I understand that rain interferes with the signal and had I seen a drop in the strength a drop in quality would be understandable.

I know that I am on the edge of the footprint and do not expect great reception but it is this variation in the reception of intensity and quality which intrigues me.

Can anyone help please?

John

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi John and welcome to the forum.

I'm one of those people who don't expect rain to affect the quality of my system. When this happens to anyone it's usually the setup of the dish to blame. Maybe the elevation is not quite right.

johnshephard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish astra 28 east
free to air receiver
My Location
Crete
Thanks for that suggestion Jimbo, I will take another look when the weather is better.

My initial thoughts are that I’m pretty spot on. I spent quite a bit of time setting it up, in fact I spent a couple of weeks with a 30cm dish pointing it at different satellites to try and learn things.

Once I got my 1m dish in place and tightened it up 90% I moved it in each direction 4 or 5 mm virtually by stressing the bracket. Each direction the signal dropped.

I also get Arabsat on the same dish. The arabsat footprint includes Crete and has strength and quality both 70%. During the rain the arabsat signal quality did not alter. I point at Astra directly and get arabsat with an off centre LNB.

Do you have any thoughts, without rain, why different frequencies on the same satellite with the same signal strength have different signal quality?

Cheers John

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try playing with the LNB skew adjustment, this is critical on fringe reception.