Satellite dish installation shows low signal strength and low quality

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metre dish, single LNB 23.5, skylink subscription
My Location
Rainham , Kent
Not sure if this right forum but oking for help again :confused:confused ok I have my 80cm dish on wall and no matter which way i seem to point it( even if i match the sky dish next to it) I can not get the set up screen to read more than :-

example signal level reads 55-66 %
Quality reads 4-5 %

Now when i check my signal strength and quality when i plug the receiver into my sky dish it receives perfect pictures Signal 68-75 % but quality is up to 70% !!!

any one got any ideas or suggestions as to why the new dish will only seem to get 5% quality no matter where I point it :-((

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rainham , Kent
Oops maybe a moderator can move my thread to dish set forum , sorry

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You are just getting the quiescent readings indicating an LNB is connected and powered.

The readings mean no more than that until you get very close to alignment to a Satellite position.

Some pics might help - but a common error is failing to remember that the dish is offset, so although required elevation may be twenty plus degrees, the dish face should be very near vertical.

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rainham , Kent
I am very new to this so I will find out details tomorrow of dish etc. i did align the dish according to the markings on the bracket to the alignment I believe I need for the astra 23.5 sat (27.4 i believe the elevation should be . Am i best of finding direction then elevation or what ?. God I sound as stupid as i feel lol

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The markings on the bracket are hardly ever correct so should be taken with a pinch of salt, in the analogue days you could have been ball park with the settings and this would have produced something picture wise even if very sparkly unfortunately with digital you require millimetric precision best obtained using a signal meter and it is a cliff face signal it is either there or not

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rainham , Kent
Ok my next issue or i think it is, is that when I connect my sat finder(Vialuna) it goes beep lights up , dial moves but then the light goes out and the dial drops back to zero straight away. Does this mean my say finder is not working properly ??

ok please disregard this one as i know what i was doing wrong here , me so stupid sometimes

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rainham , Kent
Ok I have got all connected, sat finder happily blaring away at level 7 if i point in the direction I know the sat is by using compass and the line of site google map for the sat i need. If i move up or down it the level drops or if I move laft or right it drops yet still only showing level 55-65 and quality 5 )(-red pulling hair out please advise

The Dish has no name on it and the lnb is called sm@rt , receiver Amiko

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rainham , Kent
All sorted thanks to Robbo :)