Satellite dish question

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic Viera
Sky
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
Worcester
I have a Sky box and mini dish. I've recently bought the Humax Foxsat HD freesat receiver, which works fine if plugged into the Sky dish, as expected.

I'm attempting to install a twin LNB, so that both receivers can be connected at once. Rather than mess up my working Sky dish, I purchased a universal twin LNB from Maplin, and installed this onto my old 60cm analogue Sky dish.

I've pointed this dish in the correct direction, 146 degrees, and get a strong signal on my satellite finder. However, neither the Sky box, or the Humax, from it's freesat tuning, can find any channels.

However, if I let the Humax box do a 'manual' tune, it finds well over a 100 stations, mainly German, with 100% signal strength and quality.

Obvious conclusion ( I thought ) is that I've somehow pointed the dish at the wrong satellite, although a swing either side doesn't find any other satellite, and this dish is aimed in same direction as the Sky minidish, which is mounted a few metres away on the same wall.

Easiest fix would be to get a twin LNB for the Sky minidish, but having gone to the hassle of cabling and fixing the larger dish, be nice to get that working?

Any suggestions ? (Bound to be something obvious..)

TIA,

Richard

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Yes. it's simple, the dish is pointing at 19 degrees east, Astra 1, which is where the analogue signals previously came from. The only solution is to move the dish to 28 degrees east or use the Sky minidish, which is pointing to the right satellite.

moridark_back1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500 &DM88HD & humax5400z&
zone2 & 1.5m dish
My Location
oxfordshire
it looks like you pointed the dish at astra 1 you need to move the dish to the left about 9 degree and move it down about 10cm

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
.......and the simplest way to do it is to:

From in front of the dish

> Lower the elevation a small fraction.
> Swing the dish to the right by 9 degrees then plug in the satellite finder and fine tune :)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic Viera
Sky
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
Worcester
Thanks, problem sorted. I now have 100% signal strength and quality on the correct satellite.

I was convinced that I'd set the azimuth correctly, using my fancy hiking compass, completely overlooking the fact that the metal in the satellite mount ( or possibly the spanner in my hand ) was skewing the compass reading.:-doh2

Sorted this by marking the angles remotely onto a piece of card, straight away obvious that dish was not pointing in correct direction.

Thanks again,

Richard

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Glad your up and running :)