Satellite dish with motorised LNB arm...?

markie76

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help.

Walking around my area (Islington North London) I've now seen 4 satellite dishes with what seems to be a motorised LNB arm. Let me describe further;

The dish itself seems to be fixed position.
The LNB arm seems to have a mechanism underneath which looks like an old fashioned positioner.
SO it seems it is a fixed dish with an LNB arm which is either; extendable or has some sort of left/right twist adjustment capability.

I have looked at various satellite suppliers website and satellite magazine but haven't seem such a dish advertised.

I'm about to change my 80cm Hotbird/Astra dish and am curious what this is and whether its something for me.

I have also seen the 'diamond' shaped dishes.

If anyone knows what the motorised LNB arm dish is I'd be grateful for the info. And also any recommendations for the latest 'technologically advanced' dish for use on an Astra/Hotbird combo.

Thanks,

Mark.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Need to post a picture, but there were LNB motors available years ago, Zeta was one name that springs to mind.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Strangely enough I saw one last week somewhere, can't for the life of me remember where though.

I think it was an Irte Multisat with v-box type interface unit having an infrared remote control, as far as I know they are no longer made and only worked over a very small range of 15 degrees or so, as there was only linear adjustment.

Attachments

• multisat.jpg
    multisat.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 203

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
All cornershops seem to have them think its to do with lottery

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Think you may be confusing those with the Tx/Rx arrangment for the lottery terminals etc

:)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
markie76 said:
Hi guys,
If anyone knows what the motorised LNB arm dish is I'd be grateful for the info. And also any recommendations for the latest 'technologically advanced' dish for use on an Astra/Hotbird combo.

Nothing spectactular is needed, a monoblock will do the job.

I can't see the point of a motorised LNB, it has the disadvantages of multi-lnb ( i.e off focus), and the disadvantages of motorised ( i.e waiting for it to be moved).:confused

markie76

Reaction score
Ok, just drove past it, the LNB arm is disproportionately longer than it should be and 3-4 times thicker than normal. The dish has 'Hughes' on it.

I think Lancelot is right as the dish is above a lotto shop - so some sort of satellite data network - like satellite broadband which popped up a few years ago.

Oh well, excitement subsided now... O-no

Ok, my mums current dish 80cm mesh, has a monoblock on it for Astra/Hotbird connected to an Echostar DSB-2200 2CI. The dish used to be on a flat roof and worked ok, then the council moved it for roof works to a new location (using a cowboy/cheap contractor) and in rain the picture tends to go, but I suspect thats because its not aligned/secured properly.

I've got planning permission to mount in a new location, top of lift motor room roof, all on its own at highest part of the building.
I would like to get the latest dish & LNB so that my mum gets reception whatever the weather. I am also tempted to make it Freesat ready, but for now she will still be using the Echostar - as she only watches 8 channels. Budget is £100-£120 (dish, LNB & mountings) - new cable, connectors, signal meter all purchased already.

Your advice & suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Definite misadjustment/alignment. A monoblock on an 80cm for Hotbird and Astra is easily sufficient.

I tend to use the Triax TD88 with their multi-LNB bracket, 28E,19E and 13E are received very easily with 3 separate LNBs. There are other options,everyone has their own preference I think. The cost would be approx £110-£140, inc 100m of decent cable, diseqc switch and wall bracket.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Probably the easiest triple satellite dish to install is the Visiosat Bisat with the third sat holder, also very solid for high mounting.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
markie76 said:
I've got planning permission to mount in a new location, top of lift motor room roof, all on its own at highest part of the building.

Well great idea to have it out of the way however I do hope it is not too near the motor and switching equipment otherwise it might be subject to interference from EM radiation

markie76

Reaction score
Topper said:
Well great idea to have it out of the way however I do hope it is not too near the motor and switching equipment otherwise it might be subject to interference from EM radiation
Good point which I never considered. Luckily that lift hasn't been used for a number of years as we have 2 lifts in the building, BUT someone did mention it may be refurbished at some point before the current lift reaches the end of its useful life... :confused

Anyway, over a cool glass of beer I had a thought outside of the box. As the dish is now going to be all on its own and with a completely clear view of the sky (& horizon, the parapet won't obstruct it once on the mount) why not make the dish move and forget about multi LNB's. The Echostar DSB-2200 should be able to do 'goto x' once it has been updated with Echonav 3 software.

SO, I'm thinking;

Moteck HtoH motor
0.1 LNB
80 cm dish (keep existing or buy new)

My only remaining questions;

1. My planning permission is for an 80cm dish, with this size is it worth going motorised or will it still be too small to pickup a good selection of satellites in the htoh range? (my location is North London)
2. Is the reception with a solid dish much better than a mesh one making it worth buying a new one?
3. Your recommendations on the 'best' LNB out there for the job?
4. Anything else I need to consider with going htoh motorised?

Thanks,

Mark.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
markie76 said:
1. My planning permission is for an 80cm dish, with this size is it worth going motorised or will it still be too small to pickup a good selection of satellites in the htoh range? (my location is North London)
2. Is the reception with a solid dish much better than a mesh one making it worth buying a new one?
3. Anything else I need to consider with going htoh motorised?

Thanks,

Mark.

You do not need planning permission for an 80cm dish...

The are a number of threads on the forum about motorised sky dishes, there is plenty to be received with a 60cm let alone an 80cm, but legally IIRC you can have a 1 mtr dish without planning permission.
The problem you have is that it is not possible to accurately draw a comparison simply because two identical dishes can have differing characteristics. If you are buying new, have a look at the site sponsors
http://www.satellites.co.uk/default.php?page=sponsors

markie76

Reaction score
Topper said:

Thats what I thought, but at the time I think the regs stated only if there aren't more than 2 dishes already on the building. I did argue with the planning department but in the end they won and had £135 off me Humping

Between you and me (and everyone else on the internet) I'm definately going to only install an 80cm dish ;) ;)

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yes
I'm definately going to only install an 80cm dish

But
IIRC you can have a 1 mtr dish without planning permission

Local planning regs agree with Topper :D

And then... if your agreement with the landlord specifically states antennas smaller than standard local planning regs...

It IS very funny how they both look the same at height. Also how little landlords are willing to get up and measure the things these days Humping

L.:)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Topper said:

Not if you are leasing a property though

From Islington council website, before and after 2007

There is a clause in the standard Islington lease that states that leaseholders must not: “erect or cause to be erected to the exterior of the demised premises or the Building anyform of television aerial or receiving device and not to exhibit on the exterior of the demised premises or in the windows thereof any nameplate placard announcement of any description.”

Previously, this has meant that if a leaseholder wanted to have an aerial or satellite dish, they had to have the terms of their lease varied before they could apply to their local Area Housing Office for permission.
In some situations planning permission is also required before a dish can be erected. In order for a lease to be varied, a leaseholder needs to obtain a Deed of Variation from Islington Council’s Legal Department at a cost of £350, which then needs to be registered with Land Registry for afurther £40. This is in contrast to tenants who just need to get permission from the Area Housing Office, and planning permission when relevant. There is no fee for obtaining permission from the Area Housing Office. Homes for Islington realise that this expense to leaseholders has resulted in a number of them not going through the proper procedure, which meansthat they are in breach of their lease,and in some circumstances do nothave the planning permission they require. Alternatively, other leaseholders that want to erect an aerial or satellite dish have found the additional fees prohibitive, and so have gone without.

We feel that the difference in cost for leaseholders and tenants is unfair.
New policy - Following consultation with the Islington Leaseholders’ Forum and advice received from Islington Council’s Legal Department, Homes for Islington have decided to adopt a policy of non-enforcement of the clause where permission is given. The alternative was to vary every single lease, but this would have been very costly and time consuming. This means that the aerials policy that applies to tenants now also applies to leaseholders. The policy does have provisions for when aerials etc need to be removed for works to the exterior of a building

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Nice piece of research CH :)
Wonder how many of the tenants/leaseholders know of this.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Lancelot said:
Nice piece of research CH :)
Wonder how many of the tenants/leaseholders know of this.

Nice research indeed CH, sounds unreasonable though from a punters point of view