Satellite footprints v dish size charts?

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Where can I find what size of dish I need for which satellite from which location?

I've got an ancient SATCODX CD that does this, but it's out of date.
I can't find it on their web site...

I've hunted and searched through google and this forum before asking, honest! :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, nice table, will add it to Nobbly's Links List. :)

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Thanks for your quick responses.
So all I need to find are the dbw figures for my area. Are these the contours shown on the SATCODX footprints? And is there a better source?

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Either those, or the ones on Lyngsat. :)

Hitchcock

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Does anyone know the exact formula for the relationship between EIRP (dbW), dish size (m) and LNB noise figure (d:cool:, assuming clear weather conditions.

My Satellite Setup
3.0 m OffSet dish - Astra II
1.2 m Offset dish - Astra & Hot Bird
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location
Tenerife - Canary Islands
Hitchcock said:
Does anyone know the exact formula for the relationship between EIRP (dbW), dish size (m) and LNB noise figure (d:cool:, assuming clear weather conditions.
Its a good question!!!!

i do not know the formula, but hope this link will help you

http://www.satcritics.com/tech_sizequery.php

steffo78

My Satellite Setup
28E 19E on 120cm Gibertini homemade sidemount with Gibertini feedhorn, Inverto C120. 5E 1W on 85cm triax. Digiality VC-CI 204 and Triax dvb-65s receivers. Matrix-cam not working. Swedish Canaldigital "local", Norwegian Viasat.
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
Go to www.smw.se and at the free downloads you get the program smwlink 3.0.
With the program you can make a lot of calculation.
If you know the eirp you get a c/n in db, you can also simulate 5 or 10mm rain/hr!
It works very well, try it!

Artist 2004 said:
Where can I find what size of dish I need for which satellite from which location?

I've got an ancient SATCODX CD that does this, but it's out of date.
I can't find it on their web site...

I've hunted and searched through google and this forum before asking, honest! :D

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
My Satellite Setup
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Wow, thanks for all the links - I'm spoiled for choice.

steffo78

My Satellite Setup
28E 19E on 120cm Gibertini homemade sidemount with Gibertini feedhorn, Inverto C120. 5E 1W on 85cm triax. Digiality VC-CI 204 and Triax dvb-65s receivers. Matrix-cam not working. Swedish Canaldigital "local", Norwegian Viasat.
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
Go to the adress in the title, he has a formula there, but only between dish gain and eirp.
I have not quite figured it out yet.
The eirp-values on his site is more "optimistic" than the ones you get from satellite-distributors.
You should also check out the nice pictures he has of dishes around the world, some crazy mounted dishes there!

Hitchcock said: