Force 1145S
Pace 2600
SS2 pci & USB
Channel master 1.8m
1.2m & HH motor
AMD 64 bit, Linux & Windows XP2
My Location
Ibiza, Spain
I will soon be moving to an area that has no phone lines, so I want to use a mobile with GPRS to send requests and a satellite dish to receive download. I have sorted most of it out, but, I would like to know what is the best way to interface the phone to my PC. Anyone had any experience?

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Depends on your phone, but I use a bluetooth dongle on my laptop to connect to my phone. IR would be slow and difficult to keep aligned but I use to do that alot. Of course there would be a cable connection available for the phone. Software wise, I know about Nokia manger, which is quite good, quick to get you going on GPRS, and there is Mobile Phone tools available for Motorola phones, and some others I think, which is also good.

Ranger4790

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Star Choice in Western Canada.
KA Frequency Broadband Internet
AMD Athlon 3200
1 gb Ram
250 G HDD
256 mb ATI 9600xt
DVD Burner, etc, etc.
My Location
Western Canada
Don't mean to be rude, but have you ever heard of VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)? Works great with Satellite internet. Check the out there are many providers and some are free like SKYPE. Find out more here: h**p://www.skype.com/helloagain.html

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think you've grasped the wrong end of the stick, VOIP won't solve anything, as the basic problem is a lack of phone line for internet access in the first place, the thread starter is simply asking the best way to interface the mobile phone as an outgoing data transmitter for his one way internet by satellite.

If he were using two way (very expensive), then of course, Skype would provide an excellent phone alternative to the mobile. :)

Ranger4790

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Star Choice in Western Canada.
KA Frequency Broadband Internet
AMD Athlon 3200
1 gb Ram
250 G HDD
256 mb ATI 9600xt
DVD Burner, etc, etc.
My Location
Western Canada
Heck, I'm sorry for the miss-understanding, I deal with Two way internet dishes in Canada and I thought that they were reasonalbly priced all over.

bk_man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400Z + DISEQ 4 switch, + 12V Switch + Diseq 2 Switch allowing 6 LNBS - Hotbird, Astra, Astra2D, Hyspasat, Thor, Telecom 2d

Sky Digital - Astra2d

Telecom 2D SkyDsl
My Location
Germany
two way in europe costs from around 95 euro's a month but you have to buy all the equipment up front, this can cost up to 1800 euro's but you can by the direcway two way kit from US as long as it's out of subscription and use this.

if you go hunting for a commercial quality package it costs ca 3000 euro's for a shared bandwidth pool...

the lowest costed package for 2-way is around 60 euro's a month and you get around 2gb of data per month for this - and then metered and billed by the mb at a rip off rate - the 100 euro option gives a fair usage unlimited but it's very hard to say what fair usage means when it's not defined.

also another way people get ripped off is the cost of installation from a dealer is horrendous - but it's not exactly speciality install, in some countries there is transmit power guidelines keep under them and your ok but buy kit which goes over them and you need a licence - I think the direcway stuff just slips under the limits....

but it's not exactly the most popular service, for voice though the quality isn't great, apart from the delay which brings it way under toll quality - many low cost providers haven't got a scooby how to properly setup the QoS for voip, and just throw bandwidth at it.. - kind of weird...

boxnut

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turnkey 700mhz athelon .5gb ram,120 gb,drive
j-test j-tag setup
Qualcomm in the U.S. has a mobile system that is rather pricy,based on byte-count,pro-completly mobile//con-expense
hughs network owns 'direct-pc, cheaper,but requires a licensed install.they also have 'vsat' that can give up to 150mb,suitable for video stream-price based on bandwidth (bout the same as a 't1' line)..
'boxnut'