satellite newbie

tricky1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star passion
My Location
uk north london
Hi there this is my first post and i am a total newbie to satellte systemsand wish to ask you guys a couple of questions. I bought a fortec passion HD box with a 60 cm dish from maplins 2 weeks ago followed all the instalation instructions even updated the passion with the latest firmware everything worked great all the HD channels inc itv hd all looked great except channel 4 very jerky. So today i tweaked the dish using a sat finder and channel 4 is now very good and my signal strength is better, on average i get 6 bars for signal strength and 8 for quality. Now my question is this although im fairly sure im pointing at astra 2D 28.2 E after doing a multisat scan i am also able to pick up astra 19.2 E and astra 1D/3A 23.5 E with very simular signal strengths and quality, is this normal or is my dish still not quite lined up correctly. Also can someone tell me what a CAM is. Many thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You arent actually picking up the second and third sats. The same block of frequencies are re-used on different satellites around the Clarke Belt. Therefore if you Scan several sets of satellites you will get some channels appear on more than one satellite. This will be where the frequencies one one satellite coincide with those on the second, third etc.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum tricky1

A cam is a conditional access module, it has the same pinouts as a laptop pcmcia module indeed you used to be able to program them with a laptop.
There are very many flavours for each type of encryption system and if you buy a subscription to some packages you get the cam and card together to insert in your stb. Which particular one are you interested in?

tricky1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star passion
My Location
uk north london
Hi Topper, realy not sure what thing is still i can only guess its a device that allows me to watch more channels, if so what extra channels can i watch my dish points to astra 28.2 E . what sort of costs are we talking here cheers.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
tricky1 said:
Hi Topper, realy not sure what thing is still i can only guess its a device that allows me to watch more channels, if so what extra channels can i watch my dish points to astra 28.2 E . what sort of costs are we talking here cheers.

For 28E all the encrypted channels are done so by Sky, if you want them you have to pay for them. The right CAM would get you no more that a Sky digobox would, both would require a valid subscription card.

There are more possibilities if you can pick up from other satellites, like 1W,13E,16E,19E for example.

See the attavhment below for a picture of a popular CAM. It is programmable and can accept various official subscription cards.

Robbo:)

Attachments

• diablo.jpg
    diablo.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 25

tricky1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star passion
My Location
uk north london
Riight so a cam is a kind of decoder, so what cam is ok for the fortec passion and will it allow me to watch the sky HD channels, i assume i will have to puchase the card from sky.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You wont be able to watch the pay Sky HD channels on the Fortec - just the free ones (BBC HD, ITV HD tests and Luxe HD)

tricky1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star passion
My Location
uk north london
Well thats a shame realy starting to love the HD thing.