Satellite system advice needed

Art

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400 CI+ USB PVR receiver
80cm Technomate 2200 Diseqc 1.2 motor
My Location
haydock
Hi all firstly I would like to say hello to all..

Secondly I would like advice on buying an inexpensive full system to view English speaking channels,I keep seeing adverts for systems giving up to either 250 or 10,000 + free channels and so Im at a loss to what its all about.

Ive seen full systems at B&Q for £59.00 giving 250+ free channels are these any good or am I better getting a system that will pull in Astra or other satelites.. All very complicated for my old brain...Any advice would be very welcome but have a little patience for a complete novice who is only used to a remote control clicking through Telewest\virgin programmes..and finding rubbish..

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi and welcome,

Yes, you would be better off getting a system that would enable you to pick up channels from other satellites.

A motorised dish is a good way to do this and is relaltively inexpensive.

A budget motorised setup can be purchased for around £150, or cheaper if there is an offer somewhere.

Robbo:)

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
Hi Art
Robbo is correct in his answer to you.
But for every english speaking channel that you pick up from other satellites there will be scores or perhaps hundreds of channels in other languages.
If you are only after the transmissions from the satellites at 28 east the B&Q set up should suffice. You will get loads of selling channels though. As ell as quite a number of the BBC and ITV regional programmes.
Parky

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The trouble is, you start off with just 28E and then you start getting inquisitive to know what else you can get from other satellites, and before you know it, you have 2 to 3 dishes setup up. It's a very easy slope to slide down.:-rofl2

Art

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
haydock
Thank you very much for the input lads Ive taken it in and digested it thoroughly :)
I take Robbos point that a motorised system would give me options for more than 2\3 satellites and that the old adage comes into his other answer of "WHY" and the answer is because its there..technology is a lovely thing !!!

But as the pennies are thin on the ground just now I think it will have to be a B&Q setup like Park Royal suggested just to whet ones appetite for more channels at a later date when I can afford a better system.

At least I know there are some nice people here to help when I make a complete mess of the instalation...:)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well, it should do the job for the free to air channels on 28E no problem. Remember though, that the proper freesat is due to launch very soon. With that you would get a proper epg for all the channels, rather than than the rather limited effort that FTA boxes currently get.

Art

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
haydock
Robbo71 said:
Well, it should do the job for the free to air channels on 28E no problem. Remember though, that the proper freesat is due to launch very soon. With that you would get a proper epg for all the channels, rather than than the rather limited effort that FTA boxes currently get.

I was thinking on the lines of a monobloc to pick up both Hotbird and Astra,or maybe a cheap motorised unit.
With Freesat being released soon what system would you recommend or specification of a receiver that I would need,I know I need at least an 80cm dish to pick anything decent up but should I be looking at any spec in particular ???

flashgordon1952

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky amstrad and panasonic systems 6 pack setup. two 42cm dishes.just ordered a technomate 6900HD with motorised system one metre dish. also at another address.twin feed static 80 mm dish non digital system. 6 year old dell with server memory 680 of
My Location
essex in the wilds somewhere
like yu i have bitten by the bug and have just ordered aTechnomate 6900 HD usb. not to say yu should go down that road as its not that cheap but i wanted HD... but buying say a fairly decent setup that is upgradeable woud be better say a 1500C1 or the replacement 5400C1 usb. with motor and installation can be quiet reasonable.buy one with multicrypt too. i have been advised to get a reciever that has both cam and card slots. i gather the best satellite for FTA channels (other than 28.5) is 13E but once yu get a multi LNB dish i think its cheaper to get a motor. thats what i been advised to do. means yu can get say 20 satellites ie or more. as far as location be best to bolt dish "south"faceing wall and have a good east to west spread. and of course a good height or if yu have a long garden and good takeoff why not put it on a tripod.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Art said:
I was thinking on the lines of a monobloc to pick up both Hotbird and Astra,or maybe a cheap motorised unit.
With Freesat being released soon what system would you recommend or specification of a receiver that I would need,I know I need at least an 80cm dish to pick anything decent up but should I be looking at any spec in particular ???

It is your choice really, on what you want to spend and what you want to get from it.

Obviously you could go for a monoblock for 13E and 19E, but then again, a cheap motor that would do the job would only cost £30 to £40 and then get many more satellites.

If you got the kit from B&Q it would no doubt be upgradeable to use a motor, but you would never be able to pick up anything but free to air channels with it.

For an easy starter, one of the Technomates (eg TM5400), a Moteteck sg2100 (or similar) motor and an 80-90cm dish would be reasonable.

Robbo

Art

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
haydock
Ive been looking at a receiver on ebay the TM1500cl one, its only the receiver but I can add all the bits and it comes to less than £170

ebay TECHNOMATE TMS-1500-CI

But the same guy is selling a full package of the TM5400 including a motorised dish and all the bits for £164,

Which of these two is the better model,I know the 5400 is the later model but is there much difference in what it can do...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look at our supporting advertisers, we know they are reliable and they have some cracking deals on complete setups, plus using them helps finance the forum.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Art said:
Ive been looking at a receiver on ebay the TM1500cl one, its only the receiver but I can add all the bits and it comes to less than £170

ebay TECHNOMATE TMS-1500-CI

But the same guy is selling a full package of the TM5400 including a motorised dish and all the bits for £164,

Which of these two is the better model,I know the 5400 is the later model but is there much difference in what it can do...

The 5400 is better because it is PVR ready via the USB port and it has twice the channel memory (10,000 rather than 5000). The USB port can also be used for loading new firmware, which I imagine is more convenient than using the serial port.;)

The last time I saw that package advertised it was about £150 with an 80cm dish, from one of the site advertisers.

flashgordon1952

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky amstrad and panasonic systems 6 pack setup. two 42cm dishes.just ordered a technomate 6900HD with motorised system one metre dish. also at another address.twin feed static 80 mm dish non digital system. 6 year old dell with server memory 680 of
My Location
at the end of the day its what yu can afford to pay. technomates are great value. for a quality piece of equipment.

flashgordon1952

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I have been told the 1500 has been replaced by the 5400 C1 usb okay a little more money but better. even if it the USB bit. but watch out when recording off the USB i gather there can be a problem when transfering files to computer

Art

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
haydock
Ive actually checked out the site advertisers and the package comes out at £173 including postage,at the moment I am counting all the pennies in the grand daughters piggy bank and trying to justify to "She that must be obeyed" that we need a motorised Sat system more than anything in the world:-rofl2but thanks for the input guys its well appreciated..
Just one point..do you all use the satellite systems as your main veiwing,or do you a I have a pay provider for all the Sky sports and stuff..I know its a silly question but might help my cause..:-bannedI just love that smilie the batter reminds of the wife...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Art said:
Ive actually checked out the site advertisers and the package comes out at £173 including postage,at the moment I am counting all the pennies in the grand daughters piggy bank and trying to justify to "She that must be obeyed" that we need a motorised Sat system more than anything in the world:-rofl2but thanks for the input guys its well appreciated..

Don't just think price, think about quality of equipment, reliability and after sales service, particularly what will happen if something goes wrong, I'm sure the other half will not be impressed you have saved a few quid but bought yourself into a long-winded replacement or refund battle via E-mail with some anonymous box shifter (the forum is littered with such reports).

Our supporting advertisers know that they are under scrutiny from forum members and pride themselves on offering good value and good service, what is more, they help to keep the forum running, without them you wouldn't be receiving the information and help in this thread.

Art

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
haydock
I took all your knowlegable words of wisdom into carefull consideration and with the financial help of my 32 year old son ( he likes mature content and footy) :-rofl2and so we have ordered a full motorised system built around the Technomate TM5400,basically because after a week of reading about receivers I tend to think that model will be easier to patch and update via USB.

I bought it from Wizzard satellite,which had an offer of £149.00 including free postage, the setup is as below:

80cm solid Dish
Technomate 2200 Diseqc 1.2 motor
.2 Universal lnb
Wall mount
30m Cable, clips, bolts, amalgamating tape, connectors, rawplugs, cableties ect .

I will probably invest in a monoblock LNB and will depending on my neighbours good will ( party wall) if he wont allow me to use it I will have to get a dish pole to get me over the side of the gable end of our house.
So in 3\5 days you may see a post saying "Help required":)

Thank you all for your good advice...Arthur

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hello Art,
Looks like a nice kit you have ordered.
Can you check the motor when it arrives, and see if there is a label with the name of the actual manufacturer, as Technomate is not AFSAIK a manufacturer of Diseq motors.
Enjoy. :)