Satellites to the North

dogsdinnerofit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Snipe3
My Location
Campervan - mobile
Too many times, I find myself in an area that I can't access Astra, Hotbird and Eurosat, where the dish is aimed vaguely to the South. This is because of hills/mountains usually. Are there any satellites I can access where I have to point the dish in a northerly direction ? Thanks

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Unfortunately, because the communication satellites are all situated around the Equator, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere your dish must point South.

dogsdinnerofit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Snipe3
My Location
Campervan - mobile
Unfortunately, because the communication satellites are all situated around the Equator, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere your dish must point South.
OK, thanks

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
There are phone apps available that use augmented reality to show where satellites are in the sky and help determine whether or not you have a chance of receiving signals.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Too many times, I find myself in an area that I can't access Astra, Hotbird and Eurosat, where the dish is aimed vaguely to the South. This is because of hills/mountains usually. Are there any satellites I can access where I have to point the dish in a northerly direction ? Thanks
Can you install a decent mounting point at the front of the caravan that you can clamp a long piece of scaffold to ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The satellites are probably higher up above the horizon than you imagine. You would have to either be VERY close to a hill or it be an enormous hill to totally block stuff to the south. Before I moved I got the satellite fairly close to the horizon at 57E despite there being a fair sized hill right in the way.