Sattelite Phones and Computers

xewill0155

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Kent
Hi,

Sorry to be a bit of a troll, but I've been asked to find out if something is possible.

We recently had an unexplained problem in our server room, We found out later that a satellite telephone was being used in a neighbouring office at the same time . I was wondering from a technical point of view if it was possible that a sattellite phone could intefere with a computer system ?

ANY thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Oh yes, Anyone that uses a mobile phone near a Korean set top box will confirm that the signal will interfere with the operation

I have no doubt that an uplinking satellite phone will cause disruption within a PC, either directly, or via one of the cables (especially if its running on a wireless network).

How shielded is the server room ?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
I use satellite phones here often, but never never had any problems with the office kit.

To get a claer line of sight you have to be outside.

How far away from your server room was this phone being used?

Maybe we've just been lucky.

xewill0155

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Kent
thanks for that, I'm not aware of any special shielding in the walls of the server room,
If your interested, a change to one array on a raid controller was being made, when it came back up after the change it had lost both arrays.

Thats not what normally happens !! do you think a Sattellite phone could have been involved?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
xewill0155 said:
do you think a Sattellite phone could have been involved?

Can't say for certain - you would have to try and replicate the problem (if you're need to know for certain).

My opinion would be it was a coincidence - I would look for anything else that changed.

Losing both RAIDs now that's a big problem!

I have had a least two RAID failures over the last five years where two of five have failed at the same time - not good!

Most of the time they have worked fine, only one failed and was replaced without a problem.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A server room will almost cetainly have shielding, unless the company is not interested in security/espionage.