Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Triax dish on IRTE Omniview motor in UK
Icecrypt S1600CHD receiver, Technomate TM 5000 Super
Planning to install new motorized system in Madrid
My Location
Madrid
Hi everyone!

I am looking at installing a motorized system on my balcony in Madrid mainly to receive 28.2E for me and one of the Swedish packages (either Viasat/Canal Digital) for my other half.

I realize that both the Nordic beams for 1w and 5e and the UK spot beams are difficult to receive in Spain, however I have a general idea of what I am up against for 28.2e, but not so much with 1w/5e.

My plan is to put up a 1m dish (the absolute maximum on my balcony) on a DiSEqC motor or, possibly if I can get permission and if there is access, a 1.2m dish on the roof of the building, which would be better - I have to investigate this option though.

On my previous setups:

UK (Manchester) - I was able to catch all beams on both 1w and 5e easily in Manchester on a 90cm dish, but there is not much information online about reception in Spain - or specifically Madrid.

Sweden (Gothenburg)- I was able to get good / sometimes marginal reception (weather depending) on 28.2 UK spots on a 1m dish, but I reckon an upgrade to an Inverto Ultra LNB would have improved things a lot (I was using a Technomate LNB at the time). Also, my Technomate receiver - as I found out just before I moved back to the UK - was not the best for fringe reception.

So, my questions are:

Is it possible to receive the Nordic beams from either 1w or 5e in Madrid and, if so, what size dish would be required? Has anyone in Spain managed to get the Nordic beam and what size dish was used?

Am I right by saying that a 1m dish would be the bare minimum to receive the UK spot beam on 28.2e in Madrid? I have read that people have had reception on a 110m dish, but has anyone else in Madrid or nearby got the UK spot on a 1m?

I welcome all advice and information - many thanks in advance!!

Leeashaz

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
"Am I right by saying that a 1m dish would be the bare minimum to receive the UK spot beam on 28.2e in Madrid?"
No you will only get the European Beam with a 100cm dish.

"Is it possible to receive the Nordic beams from either 1w or 5e in Madrid"
No chance of these either only the European Beam.

Attachments

• Thor-5-T1-EIRP-wc-LARGE.jpg
    Thor-5-T1-EIRP-wc-LARGE.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 15
  • 2wg4nmg.jpg
    2wg4nmg.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

Leeashaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Madrid
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I figured it would be hit and miss with both of them, but I'm still interested in investigating this as reception in fringe areas varies even within short distances, and I am also interested in receiving other satellites, hence the motor. Analoguesat's report map for 28.2e (link below) shows that a few members around Madrid have managed to get the UK beam on similar sized dishes - although reception seems to be weather/time of day depending. I'm still wondering about the Nordic beams though on 1w and 5e. I know the footprints don't cover Spain, but the beams shouldn't be as narrow as the UK spot, looking at it.

Analoguesat's Astra 2E UK reception reports

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
From my map - (and remember its a few years out of date now, so its quite possible things have changed one way or the other) a well installed & accurately set up 1.2m is the absolute minimum you are going to get away with - and reception will be spotty for at least parts of the day.

Unfortunately the new generation of satellites have very sharp drop off indeed outside the main desired transmission areas, so you can probably forget the Nordic beams from 1W & 5E on any sensible sized dish

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Pretty sure Astra's Nordic beams reach Spain whatever the maps say. I know Huevos was getting them but not sure on what size.

Leeashaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Madrid
Thanks for all the advice, it's all really helpful! I'd like to hear from Huevos about the dish size/setup etc. and anyone else who has managed to get the Nordic beams, just out of curiosity. Also, it would be useful to hear an update from anyone with regards to 28.2 around Madrid (might me a long shot! :))

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Xtrend ET10000 DVB-C, DVB-S2, and IPTV
Dreambox DM920 DVB-C/DVB-S2X/DVB-T2
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
80 cm fixed dish (28.2E/23.5E/19.2E)
180cm Channel Master offset dish with polarmount (39E-34.5W, Ku-band)
My Location
The Netherlands

Juan Vásquez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Prodelin 2.4 offset
My Location
Ecuador
how was it???
Did you get 28.2E in Madrid????