scandy signal nightmare

scandy

Reaction score
Help!! i am having some issues (!!!!) with setting up sky in norway. once i had all my hardware i did a quick search to establish the angles i needed to recieve sky. initially i had a bit of confusion because i could only get the satmeter to work if it was next to the reciever not next to the lnb? but i established direction and angles and then mounted the dish and.........nothing. i have since tried the dish in the origional position and still nothing, i have tried numerous cables (2 of which worked when i had it working), i have tried another lnb in case that was faulty, i have rewired everything in case of bad connections until my fingers bled! i am now at a total loss as to what to do (other than send the digibox back to the supplier (nightmare via uk job) to have it tested. i dont know of anyone who also uses sky in my area to test the box here, but i know somebody who had it working at my address last year so a signal can be found (i got it myself once!). any suggestions would be gratefully recieved, especially as the countdown to euro2004 is ticking ever quicker!!

scandy

ps anybody trying to quit smoking, if i have got through the last week of sky frustration without having one, anybody can do it!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Scandy, you don't necessarily need someone with a dish pointing at Astra 28.2 to test your receiver, as long as there is a transponder on the satelite they are watching which is in one of the available digibox symbol rates and FEC.

What sized dish do you have?

scandy

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Hi Scandy, you don't necessarily need someone with a dish pointing at Astra 28.2 to test your receiver, as long as there is a transponder on the satelite they are watching which is in one of the available digibox symbol rates and FEC.

What sized dish do you have?
hi rolf, dish is 99-105 elliptical, which is big enough for me to have got a glimpse of bbc when it worked so that should be ok. i tried the reciever this morning on the viasat system which i think uses hotbird and it didnt register any signal then either, but we thought maybe it only picks up astra??

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You have to go into the manual search option in the installers menu and add a frequency from that satellite.

scandy

Reaction score
hi, rolf, dish is 99-105 elliptical which picked up bbc in the brief moment that i got it working. i tried the reciever today on the viasat system which i think uses hotbird sat. but it showed no signal strength with that either, but could it be possible that it would only pick up fron astra? i am confused as to why neither satmeter would work next to the lnb, does a vertain charge need to flow along the lnb cable which is not present maybe?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Perhaps there is a problem with the connectors, the meter should work at either end of the cable.

scandy

Reaction score
perhaps i am being daft but to do a manual search am i using the add channel option in system setup?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, you can use that, but better to go into services, system setup, press 01select one after another, then manual tuning.

scandy

Reaction score
thanks for all the help so far, i am off to work but i will be back tomorrow, hopefully with good news, if not then more questions!! no cigarrettes.......no cigarrettes.......no cigarrettes

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
Whereabouts are you located? It makes a difference if your on the SW coast or up in Bodø ;)