schaer programmer

C

captainjim1

trying to use pic programmer (Schaer) in ms dos mode but get message ,"cant find programmer - check cable,power unit" i have used before and received same message but programmer was detected after a few seconds and worked ok,programmer works in pure dos mode but it means turning comp. off and on for eeprom, any idea what the problem is ,thanks captainjim

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I have had similar problems with a whole host of different programmers and software...
part of the problem lies in the fact that the simple devices are not micro-processor controlled. They take their timing pulses from the computer and if the port or pc is slightly too fast or too slow it can screw things up. Check too the port settings especially fifo-buffers.
Another problem is conflicting devices on the port. What else in Windows might be using the port or the same interrupts?
And on laptops, battery-management software may be powering-down the port.

2old

C

captainjim1

Too Old, using parallel port which is also printer port ,same cable ,also connected to scanner although printer is disabled when using programmer ,control program icons appear at times,worked perfectly last night after same poor start,if i need a new programmer what do you suggest,captainjim