Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hundreds of people in Peru have needed treatment after an object from space - said to be a meteorite - plummeted to Earth in a remote area, officials say.
They say the object left a deep crater after crashing down over the weekend near the town of Carancas in the Andes.

People who visited the scene have been complaining of headaches, vomiting and nausea after inhaling gases.

But some experts have questioned whether it was a meteorite or some other object that landed in Carancas.

BBC News - full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7001897.stm

Salty25

can't spell :D
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I'm no expert, but it looks too big to be a crater because, if it were, I would have thought a crater that size would have produced alot of debris from the impact (or whatever they call it). But I'm probably wrong and there's little Martian fish in the pond :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
IDD CI24 ECONO MM Penta 1.20 Galaxy II
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 25 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Salty25 said:
I'm no expert, but it looks too big to be a creator
I thought you were paying off your student loan instead you appear to be imbibing alcohol.

The creator is probably where it came from but it's impact upon the earth created a crater
English degree:-omg:-slurp:-jest:-shhforget the har:-harpist[/quote]

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Some big hole-in-one there:)

Salty25

My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Topper said:
I thought you were paying off your student loan instead you appear to be imbibing alcohol.

The creator is probably where it came from but it's impact upon the earth created a crater
English degree:-omg:-slurp:-jest:-shhforget the har:-harpist
I'm a crap typist, what can I say :-ohmy

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
IDD CI24 ECONO MM Penta 1.20 Galaxy II
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 25 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Salty25 said:
I'm a crap typist, what can I say :-ohmy
yeah I'm the same I'll have to spell check every post from now on otherwise you'll get your own back :p

Salty25

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Topper said:
yeah I'm the same I'll have to spell check every post from now on otherwise you'll get your own back :p
Lol, I'll be monitoring like an obsessive :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
I'm just wondering why it's too big to be a crater

Craters are as big as the object in conjunction with the velocity that is directed at the impact site (wot it lands in)

-http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/tekton/crater_c.html

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
From the pics Ive seen it looks like its landed in something soft like a bog or a marsh and gone "splat" rather than "boom"

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
Analoguesat said:
From the pics Ive seen it looks like its landed in something soft like a bog or a marsh and gone "splat" rather than "boom"

It may have landed, but it wasn't from space.

Saturlight

My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
There's nothing stopping anything breaking through our atmosphere and crashing into the ground and omiting a deadly chemical or substance that could kill off the human race.

Just like the dinosaurs.

And with that thought, have a nice day. :D