Security programmes?

driftwood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
got a 2.8 GHz pc, 2 gigs of RAM, 260 GB of hd space
My Location
UK
I am looking for a new programme to protect my pc and I was wondering, which programmes other people are using. So far I have been using freeware but I have decided to invest in the security of my pc and also I would like to get a programme that has everything I need in one - something like a bundle.

Is there such a thing? And which one would you say is the best?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
The website www.techsupportalert.com suggests that, although commercial packages are better performing than freeware - obviously - nevertheless, using a "layered" approach of anti-virus/trojan-scanner/intruder-alert running simultaneously gives similar protection, even if freeware.

They've reviewed several commercial products, worth reading.

specifically, see: www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm .

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have heard from others that Pandasoft is very good as a pay package

How much security, AV, firewall or more ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I use Bullguard now and have done for the last couple of years, it is a combined Firewall and Anti-virus, not very expensive and the single user license covers my three PCs.

Colin Creevey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD / Win98
My Location
UK
I user Norton Internet Security 2006; and I feel vindicated that their AV scored good points in the links above.

It's a good software bundle, covers a lot of ground and is easy to use. Everything you're asking for.

SST12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 Combo. 160G HDD. Technomate TM6902 Super Combo, 1TB HDD. 1.2Mtr Channel Master dish & Polar mount, Samsung LED HDTV's
My Location
Eastern England. UK
Hi Driftwood

Norton Internet Security 2006 (antivirus with anti spyware + firewall) bundle is a pretty good one and is not to expensive. Iv'e been using it for about four years now with only minor problems, upgrading every year and Regular virus updates.

driftwood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Cheers all,

I managed to pick up Norton Internet Security at a local store - and obviously I am online using it, so the setup went very well indeed. I already feel much securer now behind my brand new firewall and everything.

(Seriously, it does feel "better" than before, and I am amazed how simple everything was to set up.)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Use it myself driftwood, just make sure you schedule the scanner to fully deep scan your complete system at least once per week. Even with that installed I still had a key logger planted on my pc a few months ago.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
I use ZoneLabs for a firewall, Grisoft Anti-Virus and the AdAware scanner for spyware : all freeware. My pc is scanned once a month, and I've never had any virus yet.
mind you : I never open any email attachments from persons I don't know, I don't run any file-sharing programmes, I keep far away from microsoft's MSN, I don't use Skype, I have deactivated 3rd party browser extensions and all Java engines and I don't visit any dubious web pages.
Come to think of it, my life's quite dull really :-)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
SST12 said:
Hi Driftwood

Norton Internet Security 2006 (antivirus with anti spyware + firewall) bundle is a pretty good one and is not to expensive. Iv'e been using it for about four years now with only minor problems, upgrading every year and Regular virus updates.

I've been using Norton for many years, updating to the latest each time. It's memory intensive at times but is quite professional. I like the privacy facility which checks if it's ok if your email address is being sent out and other private details like bank account etc.

I also use a subbed version of Webroot Spysweeper which runs in real-time.

Mailwasher pro is excellent I find as it enables me to delete or bounce any mail I don't want before it gets on my PC.

I think scans should be done at least once a week if not more frequently.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I have Sygate Firewall (free) which has served me well for ages. Decent prompt system too - especially when windows wants to speak to the world!

Then standalone freeware spyware programs Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy - these two freebies really are an absolute must, IMHO.

Paid for program - Norton Antivirus 2005. The auto-protect does its job scanning emails, but, IMHO the virus scanning takes an age; mind I do have a lot of hdd capacity. Regular virus/worm 'signature?' updates every Thursday.

I did have Spyware Doctor until a few days ago - but I got bored with it. On top of Nortons Auto-Protect and the other toys, I kind of thought it was a bit, well, overkill.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Yes, the Ad Aware and Spybot S&D are excellent. XoftSpy is another. I'm also sitting behind a hardware firewall so it's a wonder I ever get out on the net at all.

driftwood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Back with a similar question. Symantec is now selling Norton Internet Security 2007, and I was wondering what the reasons are for (and possibly agaisnt?) upgrading.

jimbo, maybe, since you seem to be a loyal upgrader?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
While you are waiting for Jimbo, I'll slip in some Friday musings.

Generally, all that usually changes per version is the GUI (so you feel like you have spent your money well). Well that's my spin on things. Nero is program right out of that mould.

Ultimately, the only really important elements in an AV program are the signature files/virus definition files.

So, unless you hear of a life-changing advance in a particular AV program - I would stick to subbing to an older version (or not at all, if you are clever). Mind, if you are that clever you'll update every time, LOL - and still not sub. [read: I don't think I should be saying this :toke: ]