Seeing your breath...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Ok, whilst doing my washing in my twintub, I was wondering how cold it has to be before your breath becomes visible, mainly because my Kitchen is so effing cold now I could actually see my breath!!! :eek:

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
It has nothing to do with cold :)

It is mearly a matter of humidity

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
dig deep said:
It has nothing to do with cold :)

It is mearly a matter of humidity

Eh? :confused

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Just been out with the dog and my outside thermometer is reading 3c.
You can definitely see your breath:).

Mind you, my red van is almost pure white, so I'm not too confident with the thermometer.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
the_happy_traveller said:
Mind you, my red van is almost pure white, so I'm not too confident with the thermometer.

And I am not too confident with the logic here either red van, pure white, thermometer?:-doh! you lost me!

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m motorised qualitv decoder manhatten blind search decoder echostar 3600ip
My Location
glasgow
I might be wrong but i thought it was when temp was below your own body temperature:confused37 degrees maybe!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
In the cold light of day it all makes sense :confused

What you were saying was that the thermometer was reading 3 deg, you have a red van but it had turned white with the frost hence you were not confident that the thermometer was reading correctly.
All I can say is that you have to also know what the wind chill factor is as this can take the actual temperature down a few more degrees.
Exactly what all this has to do with seeing one's breath I have no idea:-rofl2

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Sorry about that topper.

Just my aimless ramblings. Probably due to having to leave my nice warm house so the dog can spend half an hour sniffing.:mad:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry about that topper.

Just my aimless ramblings. Probably due to having to leave my nice warm house so the dog can spend half an hour sniffing.:mad:

Nothing to apologise for m8 I think I was probably having a senior moment which did not help :-doh! I suppose the couple of Foster tops did not help either:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It has to be a temperature differential, enough to condense the moisture in the breath, forming a mist.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
From ask yahoo:

There is no fixed air temperature for frosty breath. As meteorologist Tom Skilling explains, two factors determine whether we can see our breath in cold weather: temperature and humidity.
Exhaled air has relatively high amounts of moisture from our lungs. When this warm, moist air is chilled, the moisture condenses. The exhaled air is chilled below its saturation temperature, or dew point.

For big dramatic clouds of frosty breath, it helps to have humid air. Why? This stops the condensation cloud from evaporating too quickly. The water droplets will last longer in moist air, because the air is already fairly saturated.

Here's a nifty piece of frosty breath movie trivia, courtesy of IMDb. The outdoor shots in "Dog Day Afternoon" were filmed during the winter, but the story was supposed to take place during the summer. So to make their breath less visible, the actors held ice in their mouths before filming.

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
Arctic Survival temperature assessment says that breath can be seen below 4 degrees C. That's what I was taught anyway.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
:eek: My old beardie takes an hour to walk half a mile and its so boring and more so tomorrow when its peeing down at 8am. WALKIES!:)

Sorry about that topper.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I am sure that if you had a lot of garlic your breath becomes so stinky it can be seen even at higher temperatures.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Speaking of garlic, I'm hungry.... :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Try seeing smells. Like after you've been to the lav after a curry and chips. You could cut it with a knife. :D

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
This thread brings to mind the scene about polution and global warming and how much more "aware" everyone would be if "polution" was visible. In the film car emitions and factory emitions where actually visible (real or fake I don't know) but it was impressive or depressing depending on your point of view.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Saturlight said:
Try seeing smells. Like after you've been to the lav after a curry and chips. You could cut it with a knife. :D

Lovely... :-rofl2

koansrc said:
This thread brings to mind the scene about polution and global warming and how much more "aware" everyone would be if "polution" was visible. In the film car emitions and factory emitions where actually visible (real or fake I don't know) but it was impressive or depressing depending on your point of view.

There was a documentary on a few years back about "Global Dimming" because of particles of pollution in the air, so technically, we can see the pollution, but as we're used to seeing it so spread out that we claim not to see it, but it is there... :)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Analoguesat said:
From ask yahoo:

There is no fixed air temperature for frosty breath. As meteorologist Tom Skilling explains, two factors determine whether we can see our breath in cold weather: temperature and humidity.
Exhaled air has relatively high amounts of moisture from our lungs. When this warm, moist air is chilled, the moisture condenses. The exhaled air is chilled below its saturation temperature, or dew point.

For big dramatic clouds of frosty breath, it helps to have humid air. Why? This stops the condensation cloud from evaporating too quickly. The water droplets will last longer in moist air, because the air is already fairly saturated.

Here's a nifty piece of frosty breath movie trivia, courtesy of IMDb. The outdoor shots in "Dog Day Afternoon" were filmed during the winter, but the story was supposed to take place during the summer. So to make their breath less visible, the actors held ice in their mouths before filming.

Like I said, short as usual :-thumbup