Set Up Help with my openbox S9

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Computer - Windows 7, CuteFTP, FlashWizard
My Location
Bromley, London
Hi everyone,

Basically, I'm very new to this scene and I would like some advice. One of my friends gave me his OpenBox S9 to play because he bought something else and didn't want to get rid of this. I thought I would take it to help me dip my toes in and learn with it. but i'm just having a few issues.

I have attached some picture and I would very much appriciate it if someone would be kind enough to tell me if I have connected the wires on the back of it correctly. Can't really do it wrong but I would just like to check. Also, I currently have a sky subscription and i removed my sky box and connected the wires from the satellite to the S9. Does it made a difference which way round the two satellite wires are connected. I went into the menu,the edit channel list option, no channels showed up, not even the freeview channels. Y is this??

any help would be much appriciated

thank you

phoenix

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 420

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Is the Sky box Sky+? The S9 only has one tuner so it only uses one cable from the dish. The other socket is for loop through.

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Hi Huevos,

thank you for your reply. Yea the original box is a sky+ box. does that mean that I will need to remove the connector off one of the satelite wires and make both wires into one connector and link it too the "in" port of the S9??

cauliflower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Will update again
My Location
Ireland
No unscrew dish input 2 on +box and screw into lnb in on s9

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Ok, i will do that. Is it true that it doesn't matter which one of the two wires from the LNB, I connect to the S9 or does it HAVE to be dish input 2 from the +box??

what is the next step for me to atleast get the freeview channels for now!

thank you

phoenix

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Just connect the cable to input 1 on the sky+ box and use the second cable into the openbox.

You wont get the freeview channels through satellite as they are encrypted.

Be aware that you will be only able to record the channel your watching with just 1 cable connected to the sky+.

cauliflower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Will update again
My Location
Ireland
Yeah doesnt matter but sky+ will work with dish input one connected.

Do a scan on 28.2 east for the channels

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Ok, So how can I go about connecting both wires together, and then connecting them as one wire, as I do need the capability of recording two programs while watching another channel. thank you

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Ok, i'm just setting up the signal for search the channels on 28.8E. I'm just about to do a blind scan. What does FTA Only mean, it says on Yes or No?? which do I do???

thank you

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Ok, So FTA stands for Free to Air. I just did a search and all these channels came up, this is amazing, i actually do feel like i've just lost my virginity again lol

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
phoenix101 said:
Ok, So how can I go about connecting both wires together, and then connecting them as one wire, as I do need the capability of recording two programs while watching another channel. thank you

On what the OpenboxS9 or Sky + receiver? With one feed either receiver will only be able to record channels on the same transponder.

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Hi WOS,

yea on the openbox, I love using this box, its soo simple! does anyone know where I can download firmware for this box??? So does that mean that the Sky+ box has two tuners inside. is that what allows the two recordings and watching one channel thing. Also, is there anything that I can do with this box to make it do the same as the sky+ box, if not, is there any way for me to link the other sat wire back to the sky+ box to do recordings??

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
phoenix101 said:
is there any way for me to link the other sat wire back to the sky+ box to do recordings??
Plug one cable from the dish into LNB1 on the Sky box. Plug the other cable into "LNB in" on the Openbox. Take another cable from the "LNB loop out" socket on the Openbox to the second LNB input on the Sky box. When the Openbox is in standby the Sky box will have full control of the second LNB and passive operation when the Openbox is active.

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
Thank you Huevos,

So if I was to set up the system the way in which you advised, would it be possible for me to watch a channel on the Openbox and record a channel on the sky+ box and visa vera.

thank you

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
OK guys, the coaxial cable from the LNB has two cables. If I was to connect one to the Openbox and the other to input 1 of the Sky+ box, and then if I connect the loop cable from the openbox to input 2 of the sky+ box will the sky box pick up any of signal from the openbox??

thank you

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Loop throughs are odd things - sometimes they work if the first box is in standby, sometimes they dont. It certainly wont work if the Openbox is on though.

Try it and see.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
phoenix101 said:
if I connect the loop cable from the openbox to input 2 of the sky+ box will the sky box pick up any of signal from the openbox??
Yes. If the Openbox is in standby the Sky+ box will have full control of the LNB and if the Openbox is switched on the Sky box will only have the same band and polarity available to it that the Openbox is currently viewing.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
^^ I tried a generic fta HD box looped off my Dreambox a while back. It was flaky as hell - worked on some satellites and not others. I gave up in the end.

phoenix101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bromley, London
I'm running CCcam on the openbox (for card sharing at my 2nd home), but from my understanding, the openbox will only connect to the other cccam box when it is booted up, so how can it still loop the cccam coding into the sky+ box. I also want to be able to record as per usual on the sky+ box (ability to record two programs). what if I was to use some sort of splitter to get both loop signal (from th openbox) and the 2nd LNB signal into the Sky+ box. if that makes sense to anyone, lol

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
phoenix101 said:
what if I was to use some sort of splitter to get both loop signal (from th openbox) and the 2nd LNB signal into the Sky+ box
Satellite doesn't work like that, you need one LNB per tuner, you can't share an LNB and have full control from both boxes unles they are Unicable which niether of your boxes nor the LNB are.