Set up help

billkuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Have brought a Technomate TM2200 motor and a TM5300D+USB receiver. 85cm dish. Installed by myself with help from this forum :-)
My Location
Hampshire
Hi SatMan

I am having trouble understanding something.

I have a TM2200 Motor and an 85cm dish (ECO I think as the make) which states it has an offset angle of 23.6.

My Lat is 51.278, long -0.748

The TM2200 manual says that I subtract 30-7.4 give a dish bracket angle of 22.6 degrees.

What I don't understand is where the dish offset angle of 23.6 comes into play if at all?

I understand from reading all the great notes on this website that I need to align on Thor at 0.8w initally. Dishfinder states that this sat is at an elevation of 31.3.

So do I put the dish angle as 22.6 or do I need to do something else to take into account the dish offset?

Many thanks in advance

Bill

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
# I have moved your post and started a new thread with a new title to here #

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Ok, if it was fixed then EL would be 30º for due South.

Given you have a motor set up on an elevation setting, the dish El will be different.

billkuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Have brought a Technomate TM2200 motor and a TM5300D+USB receiver. 85cm dish. Installed by myself with help from this forum :-)
My Location
Hampshire
Hi,

The link you gave didn't work as it seems to require privilages that I don't have in order to access.

Reading between lines on your reply it seems that the built in angle for an offset is neither here or there?

Many thanks,

Bill

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Info originally provided by Robbo71.

See attachment

Attachments

• drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 44

billkuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Thanks, that is great. Hopefully will be putting up the dish this weekend.

Cheers

Bill

billkuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Many thanks to Satman and Robbo for their advice. I managed to get my setup working which is 85cm dish, Technomate 2200 motor and Technomate 5300 USB Super reciever.

Getting most of the stuff I want except Colombian channels on Intelsat 905. For some reason when I point to this and get the reciever to scan it only seems to pick up 3 indian channels.

Do I need to put something like an amp to boost the signal or something like a better lnb (currently is 0.2 noise sen)?

Many thanks for any thoughts

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
An amplifier on a short cable run will only introduce noise.

There are a few receivable transponders on that satellite but have never looked there myself.

I would say check 30W also to see if all is ok with tracking the arc.

0.2 dB LNb should be fine.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The multivision Latino package is MPEG-4, which requires an S2 receiver, or an MPEG-4 CAM, not tried one, so don't know how well they work. Our supporting advertisers Sateuropa carry them _http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?id=1558&catid=10&subcat=6

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
LOl, missed that they were M4.

Just to check alignment is ok, try Tp 11.675v, there are a couple of DVB free to air channels.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
billkuk said:
Many thanks to Satman and Robbo for their advice. I managed to get my setup working which is 85cm dish, Technomate 2200 motor and Technomate 5300 USB Super reciever.
billkuk said:

Getting most of the stuff I want except Colombian channels on Intelsat 905. For some reason when I point to this and get the reciever to scan it only seems to pick up 3 indian channels.

Do I need to put something like an amp to boost the signal or something like a better lnb (currently is 0.2 noise sen)?

Many thanks for any thoughts

-------------------------------------------------

Those signals on 24.5w 11048 h 14400 are MPEG4 ... can the tm5300 receive that?... the 5000 series are the 1000 series upgraded to 10,000 channels, component out, better blind scan, faster motor & bug fixes etc.., I think they are still limited to mpeg2- dvbs1 not dvbs2.

You can check the signal level by inputting a new channel in Add channel

Input a name then .... freq 11048 H 14400 .... plus vpid = 6501 apid = 6502 ppid = 6501

You can see a signal that is strong & a bit unstable but the quality is half what it should be because it's looking for mpeg2 not 4.

The 6800 or 6900 should do mpeg4 sd (s2) as they can handle mpeg4 for the hd unless it's been messed with further.

Anyone on the 5000 series just verify that, their data sheet is a bit ambiguous re: dvb compliant? - it's clear on the 6800 6900

EDIT... doing three jobs at once...

BTW .. well done in the install... you've obviously done well to get to that level that quick..

how are you on 26e?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Just to confirm, I have just entered the transponder parameters into my TM6800 and can get the Colombian channels.

I didn't get a signal at first, but ALL the transponder details had to be entered, i.e

Freq: 11.048 GHz
symbol rate: 14.400 MS/s
Pol : H
Modulation: DVB-S2 8PSK
Code rate: 2/3
Pilot: OFF

So basically if you want them for sure, get a TM6800/6900

Robbo

billkuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your pointers. I checked out lyngsat a while back when I was looking for Colombian TV and it did mentioned mpeg 4 - I didn't realize that was something I was suppose to look for when choosing my receiver :-doh2 - That is quite a bummer. I wonder if the technomate guys will do any sw upgrade to fix that or I suppose it is some hardware feature. I guess I'll have to treat myself to a better receiver someday and relagate the 5300 to connect to the old skydish for freesat viewing in the bedroom.

Hi Pedro - I pick up 26E fine so I think the setup seems to be working fine.

However, it has been raining today (surprise Surprise) and I notice some signal chop even on Freesat so I am wondering if my alignment is off a bit anyway (not that it will fix the mpeg4 problem of course).

I tried to pick up NSS 806 at 40.5w but no luck, perhaps something to do with poor alignement.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to borrow a decent meter to see the thing but a little bit better.

Great site this, lots of helpful folks on it. Many thanks to all

Bill

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It is a hardware feature, you'll need to get a new one.
I find having two recieivers useful, as effectively I now have twin tuners, so can watch and record different satellite channels at the same time. The TM 5300 is wasted on 28E, any real cheapo can be used for that.

joekir

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven 60cm, fixed for Hispa, 30W, Fibo 90cm 53E - 61W (ex 16E - 28E), Channel Master 90cm 15W -28E, Technomate 5400, Echolink 777. For feeds: Vantage 221, Quali-TV 1080IRCI (4:2:2).
Panasonic TH42PX80B Plasma TV.
My Location
London
billkuk said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your pointers. I checked out lyngsat a while back when I was looking for Colombian TV and it did mentioned mpeg 4 - I didn't realize that was something I was suppose to look for when choosing my receiver :-doh2 - That is quite a bummer. I wonder if the technomate guys will do any sw upgrade to fix that or I suppose it is some hardware feature. I guess I'll have to treat myself to a better receiver someday and relagate the 5300 to connect to the old skydish for freesat viewing in the bedroom.

Hi Pedro - I pick up 26E fine so I think the setup seems to be working fine.

However, it has been raining today (surprise Surprise) and I notice some signal chop even on Freesat so I am wondering if my alignment is off a bit anyway (not that it will fix the mpeg4 problem of course).

I tried to pick up NSS 806 at 40.5w but no luck, perhaps something to do with poor alignement.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to borrow a decent meter to see the thing but a little bit better.

Great site this, lots of helpful folks on it. Many thanks to all

Bill
Hey Bill,
I'd say your alignment is OK, it's just that 40.5w is C band only, need a big dish and different LNB for that. Yes, it is true that for mpeg 4 on 905 you will need a completely new receiver or the cam, no update from Technomate will change that.
On that bird, NTA and a couple of Indian channels are all there is FTA. The technical standard of NTA has to be seen to be believed!
You can look at 43 and 45W, there are some feeds and a couple of FTA channels there. If you are looking for Latin music, there is a channel I found on 1W, Latina, 11823H, but it is the Nordic beam, so you might not get it with 80cm. Have you tried Hispasat on 30w yet?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
billkuk said:
Hi Guys,

Bill

You don't need to buy a new receiver, look at the link I gave you above, there is an MPEG-4 CAM.

billkuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Hi,

Tried Hispasat and we do watch that. Trouble is my wife is Colombian and we have her mother in law staying with us for 3 months (our first son was born last week so she is here helping out), and I hoped to get some home from home entertainment for her while she was here.

Clearly I should have asked up front on this forum what kit I needed.

The CAM won't work for the 5300 I have as there is no open cam slot, which clearly was another error on my part :-)

Thanks to all once again

Bill

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, apologies, thought the 5300 had a CAM slot. :)

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
billkuk said:

Clearly I should have asked up front on this forum what kit I needed.

The fact is that you are not the only one...

A number in the industry are at fault here.. we've noticed that some adverts and stb spec of MPEG2 (DVB1) machines have altered and just state (fully) DVB compliant and dropped quoting MPEG2 DVB1 (only) (or not making it clear they are not MPEG4 sd ..dvb s2 compatable).

This is advantageous for retailers/ manufacturers deliberately not quoting/ warning they are not MPEG4 compliant and ignoring the fact MPEG4 is also intended to be used for higher compressed standard definition channels too, not just HD.

At the moment there are not many MPEG4 SD channels and it seems to be slow for it to be adopted ... but it's miss selling to claim 'fully DVB compliant' when really they are using DVB to mean DVB S1 but not S2.

Well there's my little rant for the month...

Mornin...:)