Setting up a Motor what angle elevation to set to?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, as above, you move the whole motor mount on the pole and the dish elevation to get spot on to 1W, at this stage the receiver does not come into it.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
rolfw said:
No, as above, you move the whole motor mount on the pole and the dish elevation to get spot on to 1W, at this stage the receiver does not come into it.
sounds good to me, i think i can handle that, all stop for now though I welded the brackets yesterday and painted them but had a slight hickup with the ladder it was about 2 foot short so I am lending a 3 tier one on saturday so it gives me a bit of time to get another coat of paint on the brackets, think I may have gone a bit overboard I fabricated 2 brackets at just over 2 foot long each...
I am having problems with the wire though, you said alarm cable would not be adequate, I would like to buy the correct cable.
Im I right in thinking its got 2 contacts for the +&- of the actuator and 2 wires for the sensor and the coax all in one loom? I have tried various electrical stores like City electrical factors headleys B&Q wicks but cant find it do you know where I can get it and what its correct name is? I have 5 days so I dont mind if I have to order it there should be enough time for delivery.?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can probably find it at CPC or Brymar, but it is expensive.

Had another look and you can get the motor and sensor cable (4 core) from http://www.satellitesuperstore.co.uk/install.htm

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
Thanks for the link, it seems to be 4 core screened flex.
I thought it included a coax if this is not the case I think I can but the flex only as I already have the coax.
How do I check the lnb is working as when I set it up in the garden I could not get anything, I think it might be broke.can I check it for continuity or something?
The one I have is 40mm 0.6db if it is broke whats best 0.3,0.5,0.6 to replace it with? is the lower the decebell the better it is or the higher the better?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The lower the better is the rule for noise figure on LNBs, you can normally chack if it is working by putting your hand over the end and seeing if the signal strength increases or decreases.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
rolfw said:
The lower the better is the rule for noise figure on LNBs, you can normally chack if it is working by putting your hand over the end and seeing if the signal strength increases or decreases.
It seems that i get a 10% signal in the back garden facing astra 2 but if i rotate the dish 360 degrees it never alters from 10% even when I know its not facing a sat it does increase with my hand over it so does that mean its ok?
would it be a low signal because its on the ground and is having to go through some surrounding houses? or would they not interfere? so with my hand on it the signal increases means its working does it?? :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, if it increases with your hand on it, the LNB is probably OK. One point though, the dish needs to be aligned to each satellite within a few millimetres, not just where you think the satellite might be. ;)

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
well it wasn't an exact science what i was doing i know but it worked with anolougue sky years ago so i thought i would try it it really has to be that precise does it?
Maybe it was me just being a bit rough then but i thought if i was a bit out the signal would still increase than not near a sat at all?
I will try the lnb as it is on saturday on 1* w and hopefully it will work, did u say you fit sat gear for a living or is it just a passion of yours?

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
Hi there,
its me confusing matters again!
could you please clarify something for me, on my GEOTRAK SG99 GOLD SILENT motor it has an angle setting, i thought this was to be set at 37* but I have just been reading on
satalogue.com/section13/page9.htm

that in manchester it should be 53.3*
I dont have a template for the angle but if it i know what the angle is can i just use a patractor ?
I tried it out in the garden again today but still no signal on any . i set this angle to 37 should it be 53.3 ?
In addition there is elevation adjustment on the rear of the dish to the first u bolts so what do i do with this one their is no scale on it, do i just set it to the middle, if so its not very accurate, Help! please...

H

Happy-Buddah

Hi mrminibus

I quote my original post on this thread "In two of the motor handbooks that I have they indicate that if latitude is 53* then elevation is 37*.
Whereas the Rotor Sat HH100-HH120 handbook indicates the elevation of the motor is set to your latitude." I was just inputting information that I had to hand.. I keep looking for a download of your motor hsandbook but no luck so far.

If your info from satalogue indicates 53* set your motor to that and try again.
H-B

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
Happy-Buddah said:
Hi mrminibus

I quote my original post on this thread "In two of the motor handbooks that I have they indicate that if latitude is 53* then elevation is 37*.
Whereas the Rotor Sat HH100-HH120 handbook indicates the elevation of the motor is set to your latitude." I was just inputting information that I had to hand.. I keep looking for a download of your motor hsandbook but no luck so far.

If your info from satalogue indicates 53* set your motor to that and try again.
H-B

I will in the daylight of tomoz, i dont understand at 37* i get a signal of
10-14 % but this is on a rotation of 360* so i will try 50* it cant get worse, i cant find ant install info on my motor either, the big fitting day is this satdi so i need to iron out the wrinkles b4 then as its a bloody long way up the ladder !
think il swap my sat system for freeview lol.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that 37 is probably right for your motor elevation, but if your dish elevation setting is not correct you will get nothing. Invest in a cheap satellite meter, less than £20 and then by moving the motor mount on the pole and the dish elevation, try and find 1W.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
took ur advice and just bought one from ebay I hope it gets here before satdi :)

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
First Thanks for the link H B sales@jaeger.com.tw as i had just purchased a jaeger 99 with no instructions so I emailed them and received a manual by return great service so dug a hole and put a scaffolding pole in so hopefully get the dish up this weekend according to heavens above I am at 55.4780*n & -1.945* if I have calculated correctly could someone please confirm
elevation 55.61
- declination 7.11
- offset angle of dish ? triax 1.1
so does that make my elevation 48.5 and thor at 1.14e i
thanks

H

Happy-Buddah

@ flying drone

Hi, my understanding (I only use motek motors) is that you deduct the declination (7.11)from 40 to give you just under 33 and this is the angle you set on the side of the dish.
If your latitude is 55.47 that is what you should set your motor to, where do you get elevation 55.61 from?
H-B

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
@ HB
got the 55.61from jaeger manual according to it my lat is 55 so table says elevation 55.61 and declination is 7.11 then - (Minus I presume) offset angle of the dish then - declination angle 7.11
now I am confused heeeeeeeelpp

H

Happy-Buddah

@ flying drone

Regretfully I am more confused than you as I have not got your handbook in front of me to refer to.
H-B

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
@ H-B
its probably me working it all out wrong as this is my first attempt at it and the more i read the less i seem to know if you know what i mean anyway someone will come up with the right answer if i can just get a starting point and hopefully work from there
flying drone

flying drone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 dapci
Triax 1.1 dish
Jaeger 99 H to H motor
well spent all afternoon trying to find thor but never even got a picture good signal on the sat meter both at the dish and at the receiver end and i think we tried every where but the north pole so any one got any ideas please as i am banging my head of a brick wall as i thought i had it all worked out butwrong again