SG-2100a - better signal approaching from East for West and vice versa?

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP Professional, Skystar 2, TM5200D+ Super, 1m motorised dish [62E-58W]
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
I have a 1m dish attached to a SG-2100a that was installed around a month ago. The pole is dead straight and whilst the whole thing works fine, I have noticed a curious issue in that if I approach satellites up to and including 1W from the east then I get better signal if I approach from a satellite to the west. However, the opposite is true of eastern satellites. For instance if I want to goto 36E, I get better signal approaching from 33E or beyond rather than from 39E and beyond. For, say, 15W, I get better signal approaching from 12.5W and beyond rather than 18W and beyond. Anyone else have any ideas what's going on here or is this normal? I am using DiSECQ 1.2 if that makes any difference but I'm pretty sure I observe the same issue with USALS. The difference is usually marginal but it can make the difference on some weak feeds or channels between receiving it fine and it breaking up.

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
Really? It's been there since everything was put up just under a month ago and the motor and dish are both new :(

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Missed that bit although there can be excessive play with some motors from new. Hard to say without seeing it (in my opinion). As long as you can get there with 1.2 at least you know your not off the arc. :)

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
That is true but I'll not be fabulously pleased about backlash on such a new motor :( No way it can be adjusted either as it had to be installed by someone due to it being above first floor height due to nearby buildings and other obstructions :(

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
One other thing I've also noticed, if I hit Goto Reference in my Technomate, the signals in the menu (i.e. before I leave Motorised Settings) show a lower signal strength on Thor than normal - it's almost as if Thor is ever so slightly west of reference as hitting Move West 2-3 times gets me back to my normal signal levels on Thor - is this normal? Just to confirm, if I goto Thor as per normal, signal levels are fine so it's just that the Reference seems to be slightly off.

EDIT: Having read some other stuff this actually might be normal as Goto Reference sends it 0.0 degrees - i.e. 1 degree EAST of Thor?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
farr said:
EDIT: Having read some other stuff this actually might be normal as Goto Reference sends it 0.0 degrees - i.e. 1 degree EAST of Thor?

Yes reference is zero on the DiSEqC motor.