SH500G problems

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows 8 HTPC running Mediaportal (client) connected to an Argus TV server. TBS6981, TBS6280 and Hauppauge HVR4000 in the TV server.

Triax TD78 dish + Multiblock with Invacom Quad (28.2E), Alps Singles (19.2E and 13E).
My Location
Norwich
I took a punt and bought an SH500G (a "punt" for me is something where I can't really find any reviews, but it meets my needs when nothing else near the price does).

However...I can't provide feedback on it as I couldn't even charge it up - first insertion of the micro USB plug into the socket and the socket dropped off and fell inside the meter (plug was the correct orientation and there was no force involved). I can only think it wasn't attached properly and was just hanging there. In general the meter looks very cheap and "plastic-y" - to be honest, at around ~£250, I'm wondering where the money went, although I do know that meters with this breadth of functionality are typically expensive, and providing it worked well I wouldn't be bothered.

Aesthetics aside, I don't know if I'm just unlucky/subject to some dodgy QA at the factory.

So, the faulty one's going back, but anyone out there with some longer term experience of the SH500G ?
Reliability/durability/accuracy (versus other meters, if possible)?

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
I considered it but went for the FS1 instead also from CDtronix. I am very happy with it. Cheaper too.

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows 8 HTPC running Mediaportal (client) connected to an Argus TV server. TBS6981, TBS6280 and Hauppauge HVR4000 in the TV server.

Triax TD78 dish + Multiblock with Invacom Quad (28.2E), Alps Singles (19.2E and 13E).
My Location
Norwich
Juan69 said:
I considered it but went for the FS1 instead also from CDtronix. I am very happy with it. Cheaper too.
Yeah, I did dwell on the FS1 for some time - unfortunately it doesn't have DiSEqC, which is a must for me :-( . I have been waiting (for nearly a year now) for the FS2, although I suspect that may have actually been shelved? Dunno - very little info about.

BTW, in case it wasn't clear, my post wasn't a dig at cdtronix but just my feedback of my (only) experience of the product and a call to others that may have used it and had any comment on long-term reliability/durability, being that it seems very cheaply constructed to my eyes - perhaps better placed in a separate thread in the meters forum.

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1x1.1m dish at 9e, 13e, 16e, 19,2e, 23.5e, 28.2e, Xtrend 6000 receiver
My Location
Greece
Hello and happy new year to all.

I am interested in buying a sathero 500 and I want to ask you solved your problems with yours.

have you managed to use it yet? Please provide any information you can because I don't want to waste my money.

thank you,
Thomas

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
livadaki said:
Hello and happy new year to all. I am interested in buying a sathero 500 and I want to ask you solved your problems with yours. have you managed to use it yet? Please provide any information you can because I don't want to waste my money. thank you, Thomas
Hi,

I solved my initial problem in that I now have a meter that appears to work, but I've not really used it properly to give any constructive feedback on performance.

The replacement I've received at least seems to have a fixed USB port (it hasn't dropped off yet!) and I've scanned my current setup at 28.2E, 13.0E and 19.2E - seems to pick up channels OK. The manual is very poor - it doesn't cover the full functionality of the meter at all and you kind of have to work it out for yourself. I wouldn't say it's massively intuitive, but you can work out what you need to do. Additional information on-line seems very sparse too - at least in English.

Putting aside tuner sensitivity, etc., as I can't really comment on that until I've had it outside and used it trying to align a dish properly, my first impressions of the build quality stand - to me it seems very cheaply made for the money: cheap plastic-y construction and a poor case that partly obscures some of the buttons and doesn't align on the sockets correctly. Basically you don't feel that you've got a great bit of "kit" in your hands when using it.

As I said though, can't really comment on how it works until I manage to get outside with it and fine-tune my current dish install, so I might be a bit more favourable if I have a positive experience there.

I'll post back when I know a bit more...

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece
I already took the risk and bought it from aliexpress for 156 euros. I am waiting for it to arrive (it takes a long time to arrive from Hong Kong).

That of the poor quality of course isn't very good. I hope (and wish) it has good sensitivity as a meter though. I have downloaded it's manual and I agree that it is very poor.

i hacked

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s/s2
My Location
Gh
livadaki i will be happy after your thest you let me know the out come

A nonymous

Reaction score
The biggest test will be when you drop it :-anvil

I've been happy with my FS1 and yes i have dropped it a few times off the ladder when i've been distracted by the phone, or i've lost my balance for a moment. The last drop it had was about 20ft onto tarmac. It just bounced and that was it. It still works fine and appears to be no worse for its unscheduled flying lesson apart from a little grazing on the rubber cover it came with.

I got mine from CDTronix and i have nothing but good words to say about them. I've had quite a few things from them now with no issues.

The support on the FS1 is also second to none. The guys at CDTronics will send me the transponder update file for free when asked which is a big help :D

Nano

i hacked

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s/s2
My Location
Gh
Thank you nano
i have also used FS1 before and it is really good but i just lost it few days ago i need to buy new meter
but was now thinking of sometihng new

but i think i still have to go for my known FS1

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
I don't know about the FS1, but were you to drop this (even in the case) then it would be in pieces.
It's a very cheap plastic construction and the case is very thin leather (or some sort of mock leather).

As before though, I can't really comment on its use as a meter in anger, as I've yet to use it to actually align anything.

i hacked

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s/s2
My Location
Gh
the look of rover ST4 meter do not look good in my eyes
i have not use it before and i don't how it works but cover look don't atract me at all

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece
today I received mine. Regarding the quality, I will agree with c128.

But, i have another serious problem. It doesn't lock at DVB-S2 frequencies!

c128 can you check if yours locks at 11992 or 11436 at astra 19,2 for example?

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
livadaki said:

mmm...that sounds a bit worrying. I'll give it a go this weekend and post back.

atc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gi S2138HD,OpenBoxS4.13E-90E
My Location
Russia
I have the same problem lock DVB-S2 transponders from Eutelsat 36E. SatHero SH-500G does not support DVB-S2 transponders. I tried to get in contact with technical support sathero and got no response. It's very sad.
P/S Excuse the bad English :(

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
livadaki said:

Had a chance to check this for you now, and my SH500G locks on both of those frequencies at 19.2 fine.

For reference, in case it's a firmware or hardware version issue, under "System Info" I have the following:

Model: SH-500G
H/W: V1.2
S/W: V2.0

I have a bit of a fluctuating strength/quality on the first frequency, but then I know my dish isn't quite aligned properly (hence buying a meter ;-) ) but in both cases the actual lock is OK.

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece
Mine does not. To be more specific, the led "LOCK" does not switch on, on any DVB-S2 frequency although the bars show signal.

Also, the bars are not very steady when I am on a DVB-S2 and they even switch from green to red (which means that it looses it's signal).

I will try to grab a video with my mobile to show you. And of course it does not find any channels on a DVB-S2 when I press the search button.

We have the same firmware and hardware version.

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
livadaki said:
We have the same firmware and hardware version.
mmm...interesting, and a bit worrying :-( . I'll double check this tomorrow.

Just looking over the stored channels for 28.2E, and I notice that none of the BBC's HD services are there - all DVB-S2. This I kind of expect, I guess, being that the meter can't display DVB-S2 channels...

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
livadaki said:
yours works like it's supposed to?
Actually, I'm now not so sure.
I'll double-check tomorrow, but I had assumed a lock as I glanced across to "Lock" on the display - didn't pay any attention to the LED, or whether the "Lock" switched to "Unlock" over any period of time. Any fluctuation in the signal itself I put down to my poorly aligned dish, but I know that the BBC DVB-S2 channels at 28.2E are very solid on my system, so they should be so on the meter too.
I can't check now as my satellite feed is in my loft to a TV server, but I will do tomorrow and will post back.