SH500G problems

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows 8 HTPC running Mediaportal (client) connected to an Argus TV server. TBS6981, TBS6280 and Hauppauge HVR4000 in the TV server.

Triax TD78 dish + Multiblock with Invacom Quad (28.2E), Alps Singles (19.2E and 13E).
My Location
Norwich
Some results - not good :-(

I should say, before providing these, that my dish is not close to being precisely aligned.
However...

19.2E

11436 V 22000 Lock/Unlock on display, no Lock LED
11464 H 22000 Lock/Unlock on display, no Lock LED
11992 H 27500 Lock/Unlock on display, no Lock LED
12012 V 29700 Lock/Unlock on display, no Lock LED

28.2E

10847 V 23000 Lock/Unlock on display, no Lock LED
11023 H 23000 Lock/Unlock on display, no Lock LED
11126 V 22000 Lock on display, Lock LED!

So...assuming Lyngsat is correct about 11126 on 28.2 being DVB-S2, I managed to get a lock on a single DVB-S2 transponder. Otherwise my results were largely like yours - fluctuating Lock/Unlock on the display, and no Lock LED. The amount of fluctuation varied per frequency - some would display Lock on the display for longer than others, some continually flipped between Lock/Unlock, none got a solid lock to the extent that the LED lit.

Added Later

King of Sat lists 11126/7 as DVB-S, so I'm suspecting Lyngsat is wrong and, like folk above, I can't lock any DVB-S2 channels properly with this meter either.

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
As per the specs from the manufacturer, satherometers.com/sh-500g.html

the meter only locks signal for DVB-S2, Video is DVB-S ONLY !

DVB-S/S2 signal read and lock
◦DVB-S video
◦Fast Sweep Technology
◦Works world wide
◦Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Portuguese, Italian, Lithuanian, Greek, Czech, Russian, Finnish, Arabic
◦Tests the cable
◦Input Frequency 950~2150MHz
◦Input Level -65 ~ -25dBm
◦Input Impedance 75Ω
◦Auto Scan, Blind Scan and TP Scan
◦Shows quality readings by LED
◦Shows power and NIT value
◦13/18V indicator lights
◦22K indicator light
◦Motor controls
◦USALS
◦LOCK light
◦LOCK tone
◦GPS quickly finds your Latitude and Longitude
◦Azimuth and Elevation Angle Calculator that uses GPS
◦Power, C/N, BER readings
◦Shows FEC
◦ALL settings can be entered on the fly
◦Audio / Video inputs
◦Audio / Video outputs
◦Can be used for aligning security cameras
◦USB software upgrade cable included
◦Removable battery design
◦High-capacity lithium battery-

As for people purchasing meters from AliExpress, you are more than likley purchasing a non genuine sathero meter, esp for 156 Euros !

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1x1.1m dish at 9e, 13e, 16e, 19,2e, 23.5e, 28.2e, Xtrend 6000 receiver
My Location
Greece
cdtronix said:

◦DVB-S video
◦Fast Sweep Technology
◦Works world wide
◦Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Portuguese, Italian, Lithuanian, Greek, Czech, Russian, Finnish, Arabic
◦Tests the cable
◦Input Frequency 950~2150MHz
◦Input Level -65 ~ -25dBm
◦Input Impedance 75Ω
◦Auto Scan, Blind Scan and TP Scan
◦Shows quality readings by LED
◦Shows power and NIT value
◦13/18V indicator lights
◦22K indicator light
◦Motor controls
◦USALS
◦LOCK light
◦LOCK tone
◦GPS quickly finds your Latitude and Longitude
◦Azimuth and Elevation Angle Calculator that uses GPS
◦Power, C/N, BER readings
◦Shows FEC
◦ALL settings can be entered on the fly
◦Audio / Video inputs
◦Audio / Video outputs
◦Can be used for aligning security cameras
◦USB software upgrade cable included
◦Removable battery design
◦High-capacity lithium battery-

As for people purchasing meters from AliExpress, you are more than likley purchasing a non genuine sathero meter, esp for 156 Euros !
Excuse me but the user c128 that bought his sathero sh500g from cdtronix (correct me if I understood wrong) has the same problem. No one said anything about DVB-S2 video.

atc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gi S2138HD,OpenBoxS4.13E-90E
My Location
Russia
The original specification and official site www.sat-hero.com,
satherometer.com (as satherotec. com) Web site local dealers.
It does not matter, SH-500G no read and no lock DVBS2 transponder, I checked two meter on HotBird 13E, Astra 19E and Eutelsat 36E.
The site sat-hero.com there is a link on the official dealer for aliexpres
www.sat-hero.com/index.php?ac=article&at=read&did=478
The sale of the original production company.

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows 8 HTPC running Mediaportal (client) connected to an Argus TV server. TBS6981, TBS6280 and Hauppauge HVR4000 in the TV server.

Triax TD78 dish + Multiblock with Invacom Quad (28.2E), Alps Singles (19.2E and 13E).
My Location
Norwich
cdtronix said:

◦DVB-S video
Yes, that's what we're saying and others have mentioned - it doesn't read and lock DVB-S2 signals.
To clarify, I'm not expecting to see DVB-S video, and haven't mentioned that, but I am expecting it to lock frequencies on a DVB-S2 transponder, which mine doesn't seem to.

Could you check one of the models you have and confirm that you can actually lock a DVB-S2 frequency with it - a starting point could be the 19.2 and 28.2 frequencies listed on this thread already?

Added Later

Actually, could you check all the 28.2 frequencies I've listed above (should only take a minute) and post back a video, as livadaki did, of one of them locking correctly? That would be useful to me and the others here, regardless of where they purchased.

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece
atc said:
The original specification and official site www.sat-hero.com,
satherometer.com (as satherotec. com) Web site local dealers.
It does not matter, SH-500G no read and no lock DVBS2 transponder, I checked two meter on HotBird 13E, Astra 19E and Eutelsat 36E.
The site sat-hero.com there is a link on the official dealer for aliexpres
www.sat-hero.com/index.php?ac=article&at=read&did=478
The sale of the original production company.
Thank you very much for the link. This is who I bought it from.

So, if the original production company sells fake meters, then we all have fake ones...

I hope that the seller at aliexpress will collaborate and won't cause any problems, because mine is going back. I already have opened a dispute.

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
livadaki said:
Thank you very much for the link. This is who I bought it from.

So, if the original production company sells fake meters, then we all have fake ones...

I hope that the seller at aliexpress will collaborate and won't cause any problems, because mine is going back. I already have opened a dispute.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with that.

For my part, if the weather's OK on the weekend, I'm going to try a separate mini-dish from my main install, get good signals on the DVB-S frequencies of 28.2 and then see if I can lock any on the DVB-S2 ones.

Hopefully the retailer posting here will also post-back the same, with the 28.2 frequencies above, then we can compare results to see if we get proper, solid, locks on DVB-S2 signals.

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece
I doubt if something will change with that (I mean with aligning your dish better) because mine is pointing straight at 19.2E and my Xtrend 6000 with sifteam image, shows 92% snr and 14.89db in these frequencies, so this isn't a case of bad aligning.

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
livadaki said:
I doubt if something will change with that (I mean with aligning your dish better) because mine is pointing straight at 19.2E and my Xtrend 6000 with sifteam image, shows 92% snr and 14.89db in these frequencies, so this isn't a case of bad aligning.
Yeah, I'm with you on that :-( - just want to make sure I take all the variables out and try it for myself in a clean and known environment.

The odd thing is that cdtronix have it locking on a DVB-S2 frequency at 28.2, specifically they've checked 11023H S/R 23000 (from an email reply). It's not yet clear to me whether that's a "proper" lock though i.e. steady, no cycling from Lock to Unlock, and with the Lock LED lit as a result, so I'm keen to hear back on their test of the frequencies we've all tried with the specific details...

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
I need a little help with my FS1. I have been reading the extensive instructions available but I am not too clear on the LO (local oscillator frequency) and 22 Khz settings.
I have entered 09750 for Lo, and left the 22Khz as is. Is this correct for my location? and what would it be in Malaga. Any help please?

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
Juan69 said:
I need a little help with my FS1. I have been reading the extensive instructions available but I am not too clear on the LO (local oscillator frequency) and 22 Khz settings.
I have entered 09750 for Lo, and left the 22Khz as is. Is this correct for my location? and what would it be in Malaga. Any help please?
Something for a new thread? I started this thread with regard to issues with the SatHero SH500G

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Just like me to jump into a small pool. Good idea. Thanks.

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
As a follow-up to the above, I've now tried out my SH500G in a cleaner environment - a 90cm dish at someone else's property setup to have high signal strength and quality feeding a Humax Foxsat HDR. This is a well setup dish, receiving all Freesat HD channels without issue, regardless of the weather.

I was going to provide a table here of my results, but it would be a bit pointless - I scanned every DVB-S2 frequency currently listed by Lyngstad for 28.2 and can confirm that none of them would lock with my SH500G. All DVB-S2 frequencies cycle between lock/unlock on the display, with the strength/quality bars registering green and then falling to red when lock fails - none of them ever lead to the lock LED illuminating and there is no stability to actually tune anything based on a DVB-S2 frequency.

I have some videos to upload too, which I will do later, but they're basically the same as posted earlier.

So...unless there are some different versions of these meters out there, with differing hard/firmware than we've already listed on this thread, they seem to have an inherent fault with regard to locking DVB-S2 frequencies.

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece
Just another confirmation from your side. Now we are 100% that it isn't compatible with dvb-s2.

Now, some news from my case. The aliexpress accepted my dispute and offered me two choices:

1. A refund of 80%, no returning goods.
2. Return for full refund.

I chose option 1 because I don't know what else may happen on it's way back or what the seller may claim when they receive it. I have had enough of this case and I don't want any more trouble.

I am waiting for their answer.

c128, are you going to return yours back?

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
livadaki said:
c128, are you going to return yours back?
Thanks for the update livadaki.

Yes, I has just returned mine too. Luckily, here in the UK, consumers are legally covered by the Sale of Goods Act - basically that means if something is inherently faulty (which clearly this meter is, as we've both seen) then the consumer is entitled to a full refund from the retailer within specific time limits. That refund also includes any charges for returning the item itself, as the consumer shouldn't be penalised when the goods are at fault. Shame something similar doesn't apply to you and aliexpress though :-( .

So...back it has gone.

This still leaves me searching for a decent DVB-S2 tuning meter that supports DiSEqC at a reasonable price. Having said that, even if the SH500G worked as it was specified and advertised, the build quality was very poor for the price - I paid £250 (about 290 Euros!) for mine...

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
Just to finally complete my experience of this meter, here are two videos that mirror what livadaki also posted:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kwu5E9JIXk

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v_inLwmbpw

These are both attempts to tune to a DVB-S2 frequency at 28E on a well aligned dish in good weather (the stations broadcast themselves at this frequency were rock solid when viewed on a Humax Foxsat HDR):

As with all other frequencies I've tried, you never get a lock LED and never get a lock stable enough to actually tune with.

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece
I'm glad you have saved yourself from this POOR QUALITY device regardless that it doesn't lock dvb-s2.

I had the option to send mine back and the seller will pay the shipping cost, but I didn't want to take any risk to send it back (who knows what happens), so I chose a 80% refund and keep it. I am waiting the response of aliexpress now.

So if everything ends well, mine will have cost me 32 euros. But the truth is that I don't even want to see it again. I might sell it for 40 euros or something like this.

p.s. I can't even believe that some people sell it for 290 euros. It's incredible!!!

livadaki

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece
Update from my case.

I got an 80% refund and kept it as aliexpress suggested.

The thing is that I don't even want to use it. Maybe I will look to buy another meter.

c128

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Norwich
I've had my refund too.

Shame really, as on paper it looked to be just what I was looking for :-(

Not sure what alternatives there are out there really - well, not ones that cover DVB-S2 and DiSEqC for under £300.

I've even started to look at Satlink meters again, specifically this one:

_http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/157572-satlink-ws-6932-dvb-s2-diseqc-etc/

However, as far as I can tell, quality seems to be a big issue with Satlink stuff too - which I guess is fine if you're not spending too much on one of their cheaper meters, but not so good when their DVB-S2 supporting meters are > £200.

atc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gi S2138HD,OpenBoxS4.13E-90E
My Location
Russia
I've been away for a while, could not follow the theme.
I'm glad for you, "adventures" with SatHero500G ended.
I have time to open discus at aliexpres ended.
I see the inside device
sathero_500_board.jpg
On the chip are not labeled, tuner Sharp installation method is wrong.
This could be a good satfinder, but not now.
Now I use Prof SF-500 http://store.proftuners.com/06-satellite-finder/39-prof-digital-satellite-finder-sf-500.html and look for satfinder with DVB-S2 and LCD, possibly SatLink.....