ShowtimeArabia via PC Card and MediaPortal

errfoil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HTPC
My Location
Saudi Arabia
I just finished building a HTPC to feed a 56" DLP monitor. I would like to get rid of 1 more box.......

Is there a PC Card that will decode ShowtimeArabia? I am using MediaPortal as my shell on a WinXP system. Showtime is Irdeto 2 so the PC Card would have to read the smartcard (I have a subscription).

The EPG is also a bit tricky. Despite loads of searching I have not found an internet alternative. The DVB based EPG is only accessable on a Coship or UEC system.

I'm very new at this so please speak slowly! :)

TIA

errfoil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HTPC
My Location
Saudi Arabia
I have now discovered a PC Card called a FloppyDTV that holds a CAM so that I can use my Showtime smartcard. The card and it's twin, FireDTV, are both supposedly capable of reading smart cards with Irdeto encryption.

Is that all I have to worry about? Is all Irdeto interchangeable? I ask this because ShowtimeArabia changed their channel lineup and I lost two of my premium channels. According to their tech support the problem is on my end with my Humax receiver.

Does anyone know if Irdeto is problematic? Do I need to make sure my hardware is compatible with Showtime's, despite both being Irdeto capable?

TIA

SilicaStorm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HTPC, LinkSat on ArabSat and HotBird; Coship on NileSat
My Location
United Arab Emirates
Errfoil,

I too have built a HTPC with the goal to use a PC Card for Showtime. I have purchased the Showtime card 1 yr subscription.

Twinhan Azurewave DVB-S2 AD-SP400 CI Satellite TV Tuner

Installed and scanned for all channels on transponder was successful.

FTA channels are recorded using MyTheater software

Unable to use the Showtime card as Showtime requires a code to be entered to activate,,,, an so far to date, I have not determined how via a HTPC rather than the provided box from Showtime.

After asking Showtime representatives several time with no assistance.

If you have success in this final step please let me know....

Maasalama,

Android of Arabia

baraa777

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
strong 4620x
My Location
uk
thanks a lot for this

twinturbo11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
still thinking abou t it
My Location
dubai
hey guys, I was wondering if you had found a solution for the EPG problem. I think there is a way to get showtime card working on a HTPC (home theater PC), but it is the EPG (electronic program guide) that is impossible to get up on Microsoft Media Center, which, is the whole point so that you can search shows my channels and record them very easily.... ala Tivo. If anyone out there knows a solution, please please please let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
twinturbo11 said:
hey guys, I was wondering if you had found a solution for the EPG problem. I think there is a way to get showtime card working on a HTPC (home theater PC), but it is the EPG (electronic program guide) that is impossible to get up on Microsoft Media Center, which, is the whole point so that you can search shows my channels and record them very easily.... ala Tivo. If anyone out there knows a solution, please please please let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not familiar with Showtime, but I am assuming that they do send EPG when a subscriber uses their dedicated receiver and propriety software.
(same as Yes Israel does here).
I can see the Yes EPG from my Nokia 9800S receiver, but it is only for the Present and Next programmes, not the daily or weekly programming.
So my guess is that you will not be able to see the Showtime EPG for more than two events with your current receiver.

twinturbo11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
still thinking abou t it
My Location
dubai
shucks....

if there was only a way, then you can unlock full and beautiful TIVO-like functionality. But its not only about recording shows, it's also about the user interface being enjoyable to use, quick, intuitive, and nice-looking - a completely different user experience. If microsoft finds a way to do this, then their MCE product, which millions have but dont use, will suddenly become popular. I dont understand why there isnt some sort of website that consolidates all the EPG info of all channels in the world, and that MCE can thus use. I mean, after all, EPG is in electronic form - things should not be that hard! doesnt make sense...

Until then , I can only dream of my days in the USA when I had my DirectTV satellite receiver, which included the actual TIVO service + many HD channels in surround sound. The whole world , x-USA, is buying HD flatscreens with reception no where near the quality of HD.... how depressing! :-Nooo