Signal booster question

mattressback

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
non yet
My Location
uk
sorry if this is in the wrong section, if there is a section for this question

ive just had a new communal aerial system installed in the place where i live. ive attached a picture of what has been fitted. it has a dab radio out, 2 satalite outs and a tv out. unfortunately the new system requires a power supply to boost it and the fitter, as you can see plugged a booster into the "sat 2" output, this booster simply runs to the mains power.

he said i would be able to just buy a freesat box and plug it in and it will work on the new communal dish. however hes now taken up one of the "sat" outputs so that means i wont be able to get a freesat PVR as i understand you need 2 outputs for that (one to view while you record another)

the fitter said you can get a "through connector" for the booster which would allow me use both sat outputs, or get an adaptor that would allow the booster to plug into the dab output.

ive looked, but not been sure what i am looking for have drew a blank.

Can anyone link me where i can get either of these two options or suggest an alternative

thanks

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 35
  • plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 33

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome to the forum.

The power adaptor is to power up the receiver powered multiswitch where no receivers are present. Just unplug the PSU and install the PVR, all will work.

mattressback

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
non yet
My Location
uk
are you that confident? i currently have a humax 9200t freeview pvr and that doesnt power it. it still requires the booster. do satellite boxes push out more power and thats why you feel it would work?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
mattressback said:
are you that confident?

Yes. You don't power on the UHF port.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
mattressback said:
are you that confident? i currently have a humax 9200t freeview pvr and that doesnt power it. it still requires the booster. do satellite boxes push out more power and thats why you feel it would work?

Satellite receivers by default need to supply voltage to the LNB, freeview receivers don't.

So, only a sat receiver will work.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Besides, supply is via the SAT ports on the plate.

mattressback

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
non yet
My Location
uk
sounds like my best bet is to go buy a freesat box then and hope it works lol, thanks for all the advice

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
See if you can borrow one first from a friend.

I am surprised a system for multi dwellings would be installed with a power adapter inside one flat, you are paying for the electricity of course, and any interruption by you (taking the supply away, blowing a fuse etc) leaves everybody without reception.

Just how many points/apartments are in the building ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I believe that there is (are?) multiswitche(s) that don't require an external power supply but, instead, take their power from the satellite receivers connected to them. So, provided there is at least one satellite receiver connected then it'll work.

Bad news if everyone has a terrestrial receiver fitted though!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it's retro fitted, perhaps nobody else is yet connected to it, most of the retro fits will shove 12 volts from each outlet back up the coax from a separate power supply, so every unit powers it, even if no satellite receivers are connected.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
I am surprised a system for multi dwellings would be installed with a power adapter inside one flat, you are paying for the electricity of course, and any interruption by you (taking the supply away, blowing a fuse etc) leaves everybody without reception.

More than likely other apartments have a PSU also so this shouldn't happen. Pulling out the power unit and checking the terrestrial feed will tell you just that.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
satelliteman said:
More than likely other apartments have a PSU also so this shouldn't happen. Pulling out the power unit and checking the terrestrial feed will tell you just that.

Or waiting for the other tenants ringing the doorbell.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
what is the voltage on the psu? with sat, the receiver pushes a voltage upto the lnb so if it is for sat then i cant really see why?

what to do is beg or borrow a sky digibox or even better 2 boxes and plug them both in and power them up, check the 1st one and when you get pictures, swap the scart lead into the second box and see if you get pics there too, if you do you know you can use sky+ or any other sat pvr, if you dont get pictures on the second box then you know its not worth bothering with a pvr but tbh you should be fine