Signal Loss when Sunny

garym71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace TDS470N Sky+ Receiver, Technomate TM-5400CI+ FTA Receiver, Raven Gemini 70cm Mesh Dish with East & West offset LNB brackets, 2 x Inverto Black Ultra Single LNBs, Inverto Black Premium Quad LNB, Eurostar 4x1 DiSEqC Switch, Webro WF100 Cable
My Location
South Oxfordshire, UK
I have a 70cm Raven Gemini dish with 3 LNBs on (my setup can be seen HERE). In the mornings when it's sunny the signal level on some channels drops low enough that we completely lose the signal on those channels.

As the sun moves round later in the day the problem disappears so the key factor appears to be the location of the sun. At the time when we lose the signals the sun is in the south-east directly above where the dish is pointing. If clouds come across and cover the sun then the signal comes back again. When the clouds move away again exposing the sun the signal gets lost again. If there is no clouds in the sky at all then we won't be able to get a signal until at least mid-day when the sun has moved far enough round to the south, away from the azimuth of the dish.

This doesn't happen on all channels, just some of them. On those channels the signal strength is usually ~70% when we're receiving a good signal but when the sun is above the dish this drops below 50% thus causing the signal to be lost completely.

Is this a "known" problem when the sun is above the dish (is do, why does it happen?) and is there anything I could do to try and prevent this happening so we can watch those channels reliably on sunny mornings?

Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Does it happen on all three satellites? The skew on 19 and 13 East looks to be too much, perhaps this is a problem, unless of course the LNBs are pre skewed.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Those MTi LNb's are at a 45° angle when skewed at zero Rolf.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thought that might have been the case, they are also crap in my experience, stopped using them a long time ago.:)

So perhaps they ought to be a little more skewed then.:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes, identifying what satellite/s the fault appears on would be useful.
Could be the LNb/s itself that's failing; there cheap enough to at least try and see.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
We suffer the sun effect here twice a year for a couple of weeks (on 28 east). Doesn't make any difference if it is cloudy (cloud would effect radio noise from the sun the same amount as wanted signal, so the overall C/N ratio would be the same). It lasts about 15 minutes on the worst days. That means the sun is less than 2 degrees from the dish axis when the effect starts to occur.

In your location at this time of year the sun doesn't come within 30 degrees of 28E, 19E and 13E so there is no way that radio noise from the sun is the cause. The only other possibility I can think of, related to the sun, is that dish deforms when hot. I've never heard of this though.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sounds like the heat from the sun is pushing the internal oscillators out of tolerance. Swap the affected lnb's for some decent ones.

garym71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace TDS470N Sky+ Receiver, Technomate TM-5400CI+ FTA Receiver, Raven Gemini 70cm Mesh Dish with East & West offset LNB brackets, 2 x Inverto Black Ultra Single LNBs, Inverto Black Premium Quad LNB, Eurostar 4x1 DiSEqC Switch, Webro WF100 Cable
My Location
South Oxfordshire, UK
Thanks for the replies :)

The skew is pretty much spot on and as already mentioned, the single output MTI LNBs always look a bit odd because with zero skew the F-connector socket comes out at a 45 degree angle.

We mainly watch the Russian channels on 13.0E (single ouput LN:cool: so I'm not sure about the channels coming in on the other single output LBN pointed at 19.2E as we don't regularly watch anything on that one to be honest. The quad output LNB at 28.2E is also used to feed our Sky+ box and we NEVER have any loss of picture on with any channel on that no matter what the time of day is or if the sun is in/out. The strange thing is that it is only 2 of the Russian channels on 13.0E that completely lose their signals while the others remain fine (although still with a lower percentage quality, just not enough for the signal to be lost).

I'm willing to try swapping the MTI LNB's for some better quality ones to see if this resolves the problem. Any recommendations on the best ones to get?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
A long list, Inverto or Invacom have good reports.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Get a couple of Inverto LNBs, cheap and perform well.:)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Inverto Black Ultra.

garym71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Oxfordshire, UK
I'm glad you the Invertos have been mentioned because I was doing a bit a research last night and they do seem to get good reviews. They also do a range with a black casing which would be perfect for my all black setup :)

I think I'll try a couple of the Black Ultra (IDLB-SINL40-ULTRA-OPP) ones as the general concenus seems to be that they're pretty good. The only downside is that they still don't appear to be any UK sellers for these so I'll have to get them from Europe.

Thanks again for your input :-righton

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
garym71 said:
I'm glad you the Invertos have been mentioned because I was doing a bit a research last night and they do seem to get good reviews. They also do a range with a black casing which would be perfect for my all black setup :)

I think I'll try a couple of the Black Ultra (IDLB-SINL40-ULTRA-OPP) ones as the general concenus seems to be that they're pretty good. The only downside is that they still don't appear to be any UK sellers for these so I'll have to get them from Europe.

Thanks again for your input :-righton

If you can't buy it in the UK, it is available from hm-sat.de at 19.90 Euro
Are you sure you want a single output?
Shipment cost is a bit high last time I checked.
_http://www.hm-sat-shop.de

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I like MTI Blulines

Cheap cheerful and work fine for strong signals off the European sats.

garym71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Oxfordshire, UK
@HB13DISH - As I have a fairly simplistic setup for practical rather than experimental use, I have no plans to expand to additional boxes thus the reason I only need single output LNB's pointing at 13.0E and 19.2E.

@Analoguesat - Thanks for the advice on the MTI Bluelines. However, as I already seem to have had some issues with the MTI LNBs (athough be it the cheaper models), I've decided to just change brand completely and go for the Invertos this time. The Invertos get mostly good reviews so I think I would be very unlucky if I ended up with a worse setup than I already have from LNBs that cost more.

I have therefore now ordered a couple of them from German supplier satshop.tv which worked out at 11 Euros cheaper than hm-sat.de after the VAT and delivery charges had been added. They should be with me by the weekend.

I will post an update with the results once I've got them fitted them :)

garym71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Oxfordshire, UK
Just a quick update...

Be aware of ordering anything from satshop.tv. I received the LNBs two weeks ago but one of them was not what I'd ordered. I've sent 3 emails to satshop.tv over the past week and a half (both via direct email and also using their web based contact form) but have received absolutely nothing back, not even acknowledgement of my problem. All I've received is an automated email asking me to leave a review about the products I purchased. I don't think so...not until I've at least received the correct goods. Very poor customer service indeed and the fact they are in another country doesn't really help.

Thankfully I paid by PayPal so I guess I'll give them another week and if I still receive no correspondence back from them I will have no option but to raise a dispute with PayPal over the issue :rolleyes:

Has anyone else had any dealings with this company?

garym71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Oxfordshire, UK
Well nearly 4 months later after a load of grief with satshop.tv, I finally purchased some new Inverto Black LNBs from a UK supplier instead. I fitted them last weekend and difference they have made is almost unbelievable.

Where I was previously only ever getting 70% on a good day with the MTI LNBs and no signal (~22%) with the sun directly above the dish, I am now getting 90% with the Inverto Black LNBs on the same channels with no signal loss or reduction in the signal percentage whatsoever with the sun directly above the dish. So by simply changing the LNBs for better quality ones my problem has been solved.

Thanks to the other members on here for pointing me in the right direction :-thumb1

With regards to satshop.tv supplying me with an incorrect LNB, I was never able to get this resolved even with months of trying so I eventually just decided to cut my losses and give up. PayPal weren't interested in helping me and much to my disappointment neither were Barclaycard whose credit card I used to pay for the goods through PayPal. In the end I just decided to purchase a different model of Inverto LNB instead that was readily available from a supplier in the UK. This is unfortunately why it's taken so long to get my signal problem sorted out but at least it's fixed at long last :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well thanks for coming back to us with the outcome.

All in all, a decent result, despite the small holes in the pockets! :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes, nice result garym71 :)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
A very 'unhelpful' reply from me is warranted I think ;)
I can honestly say I have _NEVER_ seen this 'sun effect' thing ..
But then ...

I live in Manchester..
Now where's that light switch :confused