Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Hi all!
I remember somebody in the forum mentioned he had made program for Enigma2 which allows to monitor some transponder during certain period of time with certain intervals. Perhaps owner was some of admin-staff. Can not find it in the forum (maybe spent not enough time). So, appreciate getting some hints please.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi Rimants, this link might help.

Code:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=enigma+signal+meter&biw=1093&bih=512&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMI14_uuPCPxgIViu0UCh3OagAe&dpr=1.25#q=enigma+signal+meter+download

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I have found that @Huevos and @cazhh ahd some positive results with signal monitoring programs.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Martin! Question not about signal-meter, but about software or code which allows to monitor signal changes during for example 24 hours or 1 week, and then puts all collected data in the file to be examined afterwards. That what I meant.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
There used to be a voltage output on the rear of analogue receivers that could be used for tracking satellites in inclined orbits. I'm certain that digital tuners also have a pin out on them for the same purpose, but whether this is utilised by the PCB once it gets sent on to the demodulator is probably dependent on the age, device specifics , the manufacturer and the original cost parameters necessitating its manufacture.

In earlier DVB-S tuner circuitry - VST - there would have been a pin out which had the marking 'GC' gain control or possibly 'IFAGC' though I last saw this used on an Echostar receiver in the early 00's. More modern stuff has a phase lock loop to keep everything stable and may or may not require anything to be delivered to the outside world from within the can. In order to save a few pennies the manufacturer would not need to put in any external conection on the circuit design.

The human interface which relates to the signal 'strength/quality' in modern receivers are most likely a product of data processing within the I2c bus and with no outside connection, I would suggest a split from the LNB with a secondary (and older) tuner which has a pin out, the cheapest method being a squarker meter with a tap from the first filter stage.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Folks! Can somebody can check this script on E2 box? Friend of mine made it. Unfortunately I will not be close to sat stuff several days (maybe even 10) .

Attachments

• EnigmaLogger-v0.002.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 18

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Finally got to my sats again and tried script friend of mine made. He said he was working on some serious programming issue and just to have some break wrote this script. :rolleyes:
So, after script is initiated it starts to collect data: for every transponder watched on TV script makes separate txt file for this transponder ScreenHunter_390 Jun. 23 13.43.jpg and records signal data each minute. After data is recorded ScreenHunter_389 Jun. 23 13.43.jpg it can be analyzed in excel, for example to make daily signal change graphs.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Can you post the script here?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Yes, script is in post #7. Recorded data will be stored in temp folder, but destination address could be changed to HDD (then HDD will be running all the time) or even better USB
File should be placed in /usr/script and given Attributes 755
Script starts to monitor after telnet command
/usr/script/Collect_SignalInfo.sh &

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ah. Sorry, completely missed it!

WaferSat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Laminas OFC-1200P, 30w-46e
My Location
Southern Finland near Helsinki
Hi, I am sorry, but am not able to find the Collect_SignalInfo.sh file, when I open the file attached (EnigmaLogger-v0.002.zip) in post #7 I only have this

upload_2017-4-10_14-24-3.png

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Try this file. Unzip it and transfer to /usr/script/ folder, then give attributes 755 to it. Afterwards, in telnet give command
to stop the script give telnet command
killall -9 Collect_SignalInfo.sh

Attachments

• Collect_SignalInfo.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 13

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Folder in /media/usb with the name " Signal_info" will automatically be created after you first time run the script. All the data will be recorded in that folder.

dmaavrigdo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Laminas OFC1200 dish
Inverto Quad Black Ultra IDLT-QDL412-ULTRA-OPN
Octagon SF8008 twin
Yamaha HTR-2067
My Location
Vansbro Sweden

WaferSat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Laminas OFC-1200P, 30w-46e
My Location
Southern Finland near Helsinki
Try this file. Unzip it and transfer to /usr/script/ folder, then give attributes 755 to it. Afterwards, in telnet give command
to stop the script give telnet command
killall -9 Collect_SignalInfo.sh

Thank you @RimaNTSS alot, I got it working :) Modified it to sleep 60 seconds before measuring again (it was Sleep 5) :) :)