robertwo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD PACE Version: 9F3002 Model: 222.4.5 EPG: 9.10.13a
1 meter dish
Invacom TWH-031 Twin LNB
My Location
Vendee, France
I have a problem with my setup, where the signal quality and strength keeps dropping from up in the 80-90% to 20%

This seems to be causing just about everything I watch and record to temporarily freeze (picture and sound), and then return a few seconds/minutes later.

I have installed a new 1m dish and a invacom LNB about 4 or 5 months ago in a hope to solve this problem since i am actually located on the west cost of France, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down, so i am easily still within the footprint to receive Sky.

right at this moment I have the following:

Input 1 Strength: 50%
Input 1 Quality : 90%+

Input 2 Strength: 90%+
Input 2 Quality : 0%

Both lock indicators: OK
Network ID: 0002
Transport Stream: 07d5

Usually I have 90% on everything. The weather at the moment is just light rain/drizzle and overcast.

I'm not sure if this affects ever channel - I think BBC1 is usually ok, but channels like Living, Sky1, E4 and SKy Premiere are the worst for this.

I was wondering if when the dish was installed it is producing a good signal for the specific transport stream but it is not aligned perfectly for the other channels.

Any help here would be much appreciated as it is becoming more and more frequent and increasingly annoying having just about ever program i record freeze at least once or more during playback.

I was also wondering if it could be the Sky box. It has an upgraded HDD in it, which was installed when i purchased it from new (i.e. it was a new box upgraded). I really don't watch much live TV and 90% of my viewing is done from recordings.

I have just tried to record a film on sky Premiere whilst watching Living HD. As soon as I pressed record, Living HD froze for just a moment and then carried on. The film is recording fine, but Input 2 signal Quality is still showing 0% !!! I have also tried recoding both the film and from Living HD simultaneously and both are recording ok, but upon checking the signal again I have the following:

Input 1 Strength: 75%
Input 1 Quality : 10%

Input 2 Strength: 75%
Input 2 Quality : 90%

Both lock indicators: OK
Network ID: 0002
Transport Stream: 07d5

robertwo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
Invacom TWH-031 Twin LNB
My Location
Vendee, France
Quick update:

The program on Living HD stopped recording and the siganl quality on input 2 went back to 0%, and Input 1 values went back to Strength: 80% and Quality: 90%. It;s like the readings for Input 1 and 2 swapped when 2 recordings are running.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I would confirm the box isn't at fault first before considering the dish. Have you a replacement to borrow?

robertwo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
Invacom TWH-031 Twin LNB
My Location
Vendee, France
Sorry no box to borrow, being in France they aren't quite as readily available as in the UK.

I have been thinking the same thing as this box is a model that supposedly had a fault and sky wanted to replace it, but being in France this was not possible.

does anyone know where I could purchase another box, preferably the newest model available. any advice on which models, makes, serial numbers etc to look for would be very much appreciated.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Hi Robertwo

Have you adjusted the lnb skew for france? I sounds like a bad 2nd tuner in the sky hd box compounded by a slightly misaligned dish.did you install the dish yourself?and do you have a meter?

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Any old FTA box should do

robertwo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
Invacom TWH-031 Twin LNB
My Location
Vendee, France
I did install the dish myself and do have a meter. The dish was checked with the meter and I also have another French sat box for picking up the free channels designed for a motorhome which has a built-in audio/visual meter for aligning the dish to the correct satellite when you park-up the motorhome and need to setup the dish. Both confirmed the dish was spot on and I would have thought the 90-95% readings on the Sky box for both Strength and quality would seem to confirm this.

I have also adjusted the skew to give the best possible signal and quality.

Thinking back, i am sure this problem existed before the new dish and LNB... Probably was the reason why I replaced them in the first place.

chris76, i think you might be correct about a faulty box. Do you know if the tuners can be replaced on this box? If, yes any idea where I can buy the replacement tuner?

Or, does anybody know a good dealer that can supply an up to date new version box? I don't mind replacing it if needs be and can use the HDD out of the one i already have.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
I have a perfectly good working sky hd stb without the hdd as i used it im my vu+ duo. I'm willing to send this to you for the cost of the p and p. Saying that im not sure at all if the hdd is paired to the box but you can use the usb to transfer back and forth if needed.

Chris

robertwo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
Invacom TWH-031 Twin LNB
My Location
Vendee, France
Chris, that's very generous of you. If you would like to let me know how much it will cost to send it over to me I would be happy to take you up on your offer. how could I get the money to you, do you have a PayPal account? My postcode in France is 85120 which should help you calculate the cost of P&P.

thanks

Rob.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Be aware that there are two different incompatible filing systems used on Sky+/HD boxes and it may not be a simple matter of fitting the drive. Check this page for a compatibily chart between different models (click on picture of HD box near bottom of page).

_http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/compatibility.php#.

The free copy+ software (click on link to "Home" can be used to convert the filing system however by attaching the HDD to a PC.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Hi robertwo..

I do have a paypal account i will pm you the details for payment of the p&p.it will be after boxing day before i pack it up and post it until then i have no idea of the cost of postage. Have a great xmas mate and lets hope this sorts your problem out. Could a mod please enable pm's for rob so i can send private details to him....tx again lad's

robertwo said:
Chris, that's very generous of you. If you would like to let me know how much it will cost to send it over to me I would be happy to take you up on your offer. how could I get the money to you, do you have a PayPal account? My postcode in France is 85120 which should help you calculate the cost of P&P.

thanks

Rob.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Chris76 said:
Could a mod please enable pm's for rob so i can send private details to him....tx again lad's
Ok Pm's enabled for Rob

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I trust you have verified it's not snow on the dish/LNB, loose f-connectors outside, and not a DECT phone somewhere nearby ?

robertwo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
Invacom TWH-031 Twin LNB
My Location
Vendee, France
ok.... thankfully not a flake of snow here, but there is a DECT phone within sat 6" from the box.... Can you explain more about the DECT phone problem please?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Frequencies affected by DECT phone.

12480 to 12500 MHz ( -10600 MHz = 1880 to 1900 )

11630 to 11650 MHz (-9750 MHz = 1880 to 1900)

DECT phone frequencies are in the range 1880 to 1900 MHz.

10600 MHz and 9750 MHz are the two local oscillators within the LNB that mix with the signal from the satellite to produce the lower frequency IF signal that runs down the coax to the receiver. It is the IF signal that can be interfered with by the DECT phone frequencies.

robertwo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
Invacom TWH-031 Twin LNB
My Location
Vendee, France
Ok, I have moved the DECT phone away, although the phone was actually off as it had fallen off the charger and had a flat battery, but will see what happens. I do however have a mobile phone repeater (GSM Booster) on the wall near where the cables run in from the dish. The sky and antenna cable for the booster run through the wall in the same place, 2 separate holes but only a couple of inches apart. This is only a 900Mhz repeater (Vodaphone) so not sure if this will affect the sky.

Here is the website with the specs: _http://mobilerepeater.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=95&osCsid=303ae7dbf6a07bdeb3a00c8b1919482a

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Might be worth running a loose test cable from the dish if in easy reach.