Sirius?

Swede

Reaction score
My Location
Cambridgeshire
Just a quick one... ;)

Is a 90 cm dish large enough to get the nordic beam of Sirius in East Anglia? According to Sirius webpage it isn't, but fiddling with the dish I didn't have any problems picking up the test channel on my old trusty Grundig! :)

loftyj

Reaction score
Hi Swede

You may or may not get sirius with a 90cm in East Anglia, you should be able to pick
up Ukrain on 11776 H without trouble but the rest depends on luck. Am sitting in Clacton
at the moment watching Viasat Explorer but have to use a 120cm dish and sill under
some conditions lose the signal on some stations. Go to Ukrain and check signal level
should be in region of 80-85%. rest of transponders are down in the 50-55% mark

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I don't think that your 90cm dish will be large enough for the Nordic beam, you need at least a 1.2 metre, probably 1.5 metre.
The test channel that you picked up was it on the European beam ? which like the Ukrainian channels you would only need a 70cm dish. :)

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
I'm based just outside Great Yarmouth and pick up Sirius broadcasts (Viasatsport, Cinema 1000, TV3 etc) perfectly with an 80cm dish.

Swede

Reaction score
My Location
Cambridgeshire
Many thanks to all of you for the answers.

Stephen, if you get it GY on an 80cm dish, I might actually stand a chance with my 90cm in Ely! :)

Well, you can only experiment...and maybe I just might be in luck!

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Thats a surprise (a nice one I hope). Have to give that a try over the weekend and see what I can get, maybe I might get lucky as well. :-cheers

Saturday morning; Tried to find the Nordic channels and found about 10, but only one fta which was Viasat History which broadcasts in English (well it was this morning).
As I only have a 70cm dish was not expecting to much, but the one channel I did find seems to be very interesting, so I feel quite lucky. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can genuinely get channels form the Nordic beam on Sirius 5E in the UK on a 90cm dish.

I can get everything off the European beam, but nothing from the Nordic.

The footprint ( http://wvvw.nsab-sirius.com/ ) tends to suggest that if you can do it, then you definitely live in East Anglia!!

Swede

Reaction score
My Location
Cambridgeshire
Rob & BGoneSTICK, I will have to test more, but when I was fiddling with my dish a few weeks ago I managed to get the Sirius test channel on PAL. Which is on the Nordic beam! :)

Soon weekend... ;)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
No problems with most of the Nordic channels here in Cambridge Swede.
Admittedly I'm using a 1.05m dish (SMW) but you're a fraction into the footprint so 90cm may be OK. A rainy day might knock them out though.

Llew