Sky box as Freesat box

lockettpots

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Zone 2 dish. Skyline DSR4000 FTA receiver.
Home built PC based around Asus P5B-Plus mobo, Intel Core 2 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS, 2Gig memory in Akasa case.
My Location
Birmingham
Hi All

Please excuse me if this is a silly question but I'm a satellite newbie.

I am about to cancel Sky after a long period with them so I will have a Sky dish and a Sky box free.

Can I use the Sky dish/box to access Freesat? I understand that Freesat uses the same satellite group as Sky but is there anything else I need to receive Freesat? I have seen references to a 'Free to View' card. What is this and will I need one?

TIA

John

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You will get all the Free To Air Channels with your Sky Box and no Card.

You can buy a FreesatfromSky Card for £20 which will also give you Fiver, Five US and Sky Three: More importantly (perhaps!) it will give you back the correct BBC and ITV Regions on your EPG.

If your existing Sky Viewing Card has been replaced with the new White ones, you are home and dry as this will continue to work as an FTV Card after your Sub expires.

If it is a Yellow House Card, it may work for a short while.

The other Freesat is run by BBC/ITV (and others) and all it does is pull together Free To Air Channels (largely the same ones as "on Sky") in an EPG using dedicated Receivers. It was launched as an alternative to Sky and/or Freeview for those losing their Terrestrial Analogue TV under DSO, but has actually been quite successful in attracting other users.

But as you already have Sky gear, there is no imperative for you to change.

lockettpots

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Zone 2 dish. Skyline DSR4000 FTA receiver.
Home built PC based around Asus P5B-Plus mobo, Intel Core 2 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS, 2Gig memory in Akasa case.
My Location
Birmingham
Thanks very much Tivu. I've had my new white card so it looks as though I'm all set.

John

waleswales

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I do not know the exact legal position of sky on this matter but i find it difficult to believe that someone can sell equipment which you legally own but which they remain in control.I contend any high street retailer trying the same tactics would be outside the law.

Sky do not know charge extra for sky plus,this was dropped at least two years ago.
It would be interesting to find out the exact legal position

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
lockettpots said:
Thanks very much Tivu. I've had my new white card so it looks as though I'm all set.

John

Exactly so!

Freesat(fromSky) for 'nowt :)

fixerman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat & Sky+
My Location
West London
waleswales said:
I do not know the exact legal position of sky on this matter but i find it difficult to believe that someone can sell equipment which you legally own but which they remain in control.I contend any high street retailer trying the same tactics would be outside the law.

Sky do not now charge extra for sky plus,this was dropped at least two years ago.
It would be interesting to find out the exact legal position

It is my understanding that you will not be able to use the record facility on a "freesat from sky" box, but I could be wrong.:confused