Sky+ Box, No subscription - External recording?

mccann

My Satellite Setup
TM 5200D USB Super
My Location
Netherlands
Hi,

I am a novice so please be kind :-)

I live in the Netherlands and recently bought a Sky+ box at a great price. I know, to use the recording functionality can only be done by paying a basic subscription to Sky. I'm receiving all the necessary free to air channels (I have no card). I was wondering:

I have a multimedia player with storage, I have the option to buy a tuner as an accessory to record onto it. The tuner supports DVB-T/ATSC scheduled recording (EPG). Would it be possible to hook up this external tuner with the Sky+ box? The Tuner itself has a coax connection. I want to try and avoid dishing out for a subscription/another storage device when I have nearly everything already.

Any suggesstions would be great.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Do you mean by connecting and enabling the RF2 out connection direct to the DVB-T Tuner?
If so you could not get the EPG and would have to manually set the channel on the sky box and set the time on the Tuner but assuming your DVB-T tuner can record from external sources like mine does I see no reason why not although it is not a very neat solution and you would lose all the benefit of sky +

Robbo

Retired Mod
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The Sky+ box is doesn't have the Sky+ capability without a card anyway.

Yes, you should be able to do it using the rf out and feeding into the TV aerial in of a receiver.

A better option I think would be to get a generic FTA satellite receiver with PVR functionality. A Technomate 5200 or the Clarke Tech equivalent for example. Or even a Freesat PVR.

mccann

My Satellite Setup
TM 5200D USB Super
My Location
Netherlands
Thanks for your replies. So it seems to me that the most cost effective solution would be to purchase a (for example) technomate and hook up the external storage multimedia player via USB and record away!

Correct??